Royal Navy

Trials Punk

Hi all

I have been thinking of joining the Royal Navy lately, as my current job (maintenance apprentice, studying HNC in Uni) is hardly testing me. I am thinking of joining as a engineering technician (marine engineering). The way things are going at the moment, I will have around 18 months to wait in which time I should have compleated my HNC in manufacturing and mechanical engineering, and my NVQ LVL 3.

Just wanting to know if anybody here is in the Royal Navy, knows anyone who has experiance with the Royal Navy, or anyone else who is thinking of signing up?

A 'sneg' then lol.

I am joining, in about 2 years, im only 18 atm, so gotto enjoy my life a bit.

Weapons engineer for me.

Where you thinking of training dude?

Going for Marine engineer, sort of follows my current apprentiship of Maintenance engineer.

If your thinking of going in as a WE, be aware that after applying the current waiting times are 18-20 months!!! So if your planning of actually being in there in two years, apply now! (This is if you havn't already :) )

how can you half expect something?

Half of me expected a witty comment about the Navy, the other half of me did not.

For example "I was half expecting that frame to snap on this ride" meaning that you believed there to be a possibility of it happening.

Edited by Trials Punk

The Navy is tempting after Uni, they offer silly amounts of money (like £35,000 golden hello) for graduate engineers :blink:

The missus would flip her shit though :lol:

I could carry on in uni now, finish my degree and join as an officer, but I don't fancy it as you never get to live life as a rating, its very "us and them" from what I've heard and you never really get hands on (at least as a marine engineer). Golden hellos are tempting, but I don't think you would get the same experiance joining as an Officer as you would a rating.

Hopefully with my qualifications and age, I could move up the ranks, maybe study at degree level in the navy and then move to officer.

Off to the naval careers office tommorow :)

I think it's very much down to the individual. In my mind the Navy would be a very good career choice as far as money, pay, pension etc goes but I would never even remotely consider a career in the armed forces because for one I'd never be able to cope with the being bossed around all the time by some public school boy twat and I also wouldn't want to be involved in being the puppet for any foreign governments wars and invasions. But if you're cool with that and don't mind being away from home for months on end its a pretty sweet deal overall...

You only need 4+ a-levels to join as an officer.

Bah waiting times suck indeed, but i dont want to just yet.

When you join, if you see maxton, say hi from me lol, you cant miss him.

Anyone know if bikes are aloud ?shifty.gif

Get on a ship that goes world wide and your sorted.

What uni you at?

Edited by TROYston

You only need 4+ a-levels to join as an officer.

Bah waiting times suck indeed, but i dont want to just yet.

When you join, if you see maxton, say hi from me lol, you cant miss him.

Anyone know if bikes are aloud ?shifty.gif

Get on a ship that goes world wide and your sorted.

What uni you at?

I'm sure once your settled in, maybe have a place of your own you can take bikes and other things to do with your life with you.

This has been discussed before, think the answer was, you'll have no time, and probably lose interest.

I think you would be talking about the Royal Marines there, the level of commitment is totally different.

do it man im in the raf and i wanna transfer to navy pays better in certain trades and the attuide is also alot better.

Ahh awesome, where you based to? St Athans? I think I remember riding with you years back!!

I'm trying to get into the Marines now, hopefully I am nuts enough :rolleyes:

Its definitely a good idea to get down to the careers office. If your local office is anything like mine then there will be no pressure if you're undecided, just good and honest advice