Pedal Up

hugo bashall

Hi all

I have just started to progress onto pedal ups on my onza t-bird mod. I find that when trying to get up bigger obstcles ( about 5 pallets stacked up) it is easier to approach with a bit more speed, but when i do this i find that my bike is too lower geared to get a substantial kick in!! Is this due to my sprocket size or am i doing something rong?

thanks

Hugo...

i have got a t bird, the gear ratio is low for a mod so you cant put as much power down, that's why it suits a begginers. i had to change mine to a front freewheel with a 12t on the rear like any other mod this helps alot but is abit of money but defo helps.

hope this helped.

i have got a t bird, the gear ratio is low for a mod so you cant put as much power down, that's why it suits a begginers. i had to change mine to a front freewheel with a 12t on the rear like any other mod this helps alot but is abit of money but defo helps.

hope this helped.

thankyou very much thats really helpfull, im going to go practise right now :)

The whole thing with pedal ups (to back, none of this tapping nonsense) is that 90% of the power comes in the final 1/4 turn of the cranks. I learnt from watching Martyn Ashton and I roll in slowly with my good foot down with my weight low and arms and legs kinda coiled. At the right time (the first difficult thing to judge but with practice you'll get it) I'll start pedalling to get the front wheel up and as I do that I start to jump my body up. When my good foot is just coming into play that's when all the power comes in and you time your upwards explostion to coinside with that release of power. Once the bike's being accelerated upwards by your jumping and the crank power you need to pull the bike up under you and then throw it out in front of you to gain that extra height. Your best bet is to watch a slow motion replay of someone doing it to get your head round it. That's what I did with Martyn in Tricks and Stunts and it hasn't done me any harm :D.

yeah sprocket size does matter on a T Bird the freewheel is is on the back and is like 18 teeth and the front cog is like 22 teath.

Your best bet is to buy a new crank pair and a new freewheel with a good engagement such as 72 upwards and but a screw on sprocket on the back, i would advise running 12 on the back and 18 on the front.