Brakes No Longer Squeaking?

alex_trials

Hi all,

Recently my rear magura hs33 has stopped squeaking when i catch my balance for back hops / pedal kicks. When it squeaked, as annoying as it sometimes was, it let me know the brake was working well, and it felt that way too. However recently I've noticed it doesn't make any noise and the brake itself isn't as responsive.

Could it just be a case of new pads required? I'm fairly new to trials and havn't had to change the pads before so i don't know how worn I should let them get before changing them. Whats going on?

Thanks for any advice,

Alex

Hi all,

Recently my rear magura hs33 has stopped squeaking when i catch my balance for back hops / pedal kicks. When it squeaked, as annoying as it sometimes was, it let me know the brake was working well, and it felt that way too. However recently I've noticed it doesn't make any noise and the brake itself isn't as responsive.

Could it just be a case of new pads required? I'm fairly new to trials and havn't had to change the pads before so i don't know how worn I should let them get before changing them. Whats going on?

Thanks for any advice,

Alex

Mine do's not squeak never has in less it slips like not quite on the wall otherwise you may need more tar on rim at a guess.

does it still grab okay?

if so, why change it? The squeak is reassuring I know, but sometimes mine doesn't squeak either, I still trust it.

It's not as good as it was a couple weeks ago, i've found I have to hold down harder when back hopping and it's slipped a couple of times whilst pedal kicking recently.

im same mate, i no it works when it honks :)

has it just stoped with you not doing anything to them like adjusting the angle,tpa, repaired a puncture etc??

what pads are you using at the moment??

Havn't adjusted anything at all on the brakes / lever. I actually don't know what pads they are as I bought the bike a while ago second hand and forgot to ask what they were >_< . Not very helpful I know, sorry.

yes sounds like it could be have you tried adjusting it as in the red adjuster on the lever to see if it gets sharper otherwise if that don’t’ work try bleeding it first then get new pads.

Edited by Earl

ahhh, if it slips and you have to wrench your lever to get the bite you need, then yes try new pads

try some heatsink coust pads, they're a beast.

Ahh right thanks. Yeah I thought it might just be in need of some fresh pads. You don't think it's anything to do with a leak / lazy pistons etc. ? Sorry about all the questions, just want to makes sure :)

yes sounds like it could be have you tried adjusting it as in the red adjuster on the lever to see if it gets sharper otherwise if that don’t’ work try bleeding it first then get new pads.

Will do mate, cheers (Y) Just had a look at the cousts, whats the benefit of metal backing rather than plastic?

Edited by alex_trials

Woah?! Hold up....

Do you have a rind on your rear rim? Has it worn smooth? What pads are you using and how much material is left?

Check the grind (if you have one), Clean the rim if not, check the set up and the bleed and check what pads you have and scrub them clean. There's no point just buying new pads when it could be something simple and free to sort.

Woah?! Hold up....

Do you have a rind on your rear rim? Has it worn smooth? What pads are you using and how much material is left?

Check the grind (if you have one), Clean the rim if not, check the set up and the bleed and check what pads you have and scrub them clean. There's no point just buying new pads when it could be something simple and free to sort.

No grind on the rim, hopefully sorting one out soon though. As said above I don't actually know what pads they are as they're the same ones as when I bought the bike second hand. There's about 5 or 6mm left on both pads.

Woah?! Hold up....

there is also this.

I thought i'd read you were using black maggie pads, in which case I was saying sack them off and get real pads ^^

What colour is the pad material?

They're yellow. If I had to guess I'd say they're heatsink pads.

Might be worth while giving your rims and pads a good wash down get all the crap off them.

Will try this also. Any particular method, or just go to town with a power washer?

Don't think so. The surface that touches the rim is completely smooth i.e. it has no grooves. Pretty sure thats how its meant to be, no sign of a groove being worn off at some point. Hopefully that helps?

if they wear enough that groovy disappears I think

Either plazmatic CRM or heatsinks then, Unless there's some other yellow pads I've overlooked

There's every possibilty they're homemade too from some random similar compound

if they wear enough that groovy disappears I think

Either plazmatic CRM or heatsinks then, Unless there's some other yellow pads I've overlooked

There's every possibilty they're homemade too from some random similar compound

Pretty sure they're heatsink in that case.

Pretty sure they're heatsink in that case.

heatsink pads are awesome, so maybe it ain't your pads

try removing the brake from your bike, give it some pump and check for lazy pistons and that malarchy, give your pads a clean, rubbing the surface on some sandpaper on a flat surface removes crud well, use fine sandpaper so you don't lose half your pads doing it :-

Give your rim a grind, really does make a world of difference, ESPECIALLY in the wet

heatsink pads are awesome, so maybe it ain't your pads

try removing the brake from your bike, give it some pump and check for lazy pistons and that malarchy, give your pads a clean, rubbing the surface on some sandpaper on a flat surface removes crud well, use fine sandpaper so you don't lose half your pads doing it :-

Give your rim a grind, really does make a world of difference, ESPECIALLY in the wet

OK i'll try all that tomorrow and post and update. Thanks a lot for everyone's help, really appreciate it.