Brakes No Longer Squeaking?

alex_trials

Don't think so. The surface that touches the rim is completely smooth i.e. it has no grooves. Pretty sure thats how its meant to be, no sign of a groove being worn off at some point. Hopefully that helps?

If they are heatsink yellows they are superb pads!My brake has astounding amount of bite and holding power even when the pads are worn at a slight angle.

Try to re-setup your brake and if it still slips try new pads.Also try a light grind if you want.I would recommend that you would go with heatsink pads they are the best brake compound I have tried until now.

Hope I helped.

UPDATE: Just given the rim / brakes a really good clean and it seems to have helped quite a lot. Still not where ideally i'd like it to be but i'll be grinding my rear rim soon hopefully. Thanks for everyone's help!

You'll find you rim and pads will get covered in a mixture or dirt, aluminium dust and brake pad dust and with a smooth rim this will effect the brake a lot more quickly than with a grind; you should find a nice light sharp grind will work amazingly with those pads (Y)

You'll find you rim and pads will get covered in a mixture or dirt, aluminium dust and brake pad dust and with a smooth rim this will effect the brake a lot more quickly than with a grind; you should find a nice light sharp grind will work amazingly with those pads (Y)

What do you mean by a 'light sharp grind'? Is that like not very deep and grinding at quite a high angle (i.e. nearer vertical with the grinder)?

What do you mean by a 'light sharp grind'? Is that like not very deep and grinding at quite a high angle (i.e. nearer vertical with the grinder)?

Yeah pretty much, the pads are fairly soft so don't need a deep grind. Check the TartyBikes tutorials on their website for a guide on grinding your rim: Grinding Tutorial