Is A Mtb Suitable For Trials?

Jimbob 2705

Hi Guys,

I have fixed the puncture on my MTB. It is a Trek 3700. There is a picture of it below.

It doesn't have a front brake as I took it off as the front wheel is buckled so when it went round it kept moving/touching the brakes. I am guessing it would help with a front brake?

I quickly just took it out and found a small step (about the size of a pavement ledge) and just slowly drove into it, back brake on and lifted the front wheel. It came up suprisingly easy. I could balance for about 3 seconds but then the front would go down. What should I do to stop it going down?

I also really like the front suspension as I can use it to take the shock not just using my body.

I want to be able to balance on my backwheel so I can jump from a ledge to a ledge, or just drop off and land on the back wheel. Is this possible with my MTB?

Would this be suitable as a trials bike? If it helps, I could get a video of me 'attempting' to do the above, that way you might be able tell if it is suitable or not.

I will be riding it around a farm, which is mostly concrete. I will hopefully be jumping off walls, going over and around obstacles, jumps, wheelies, that sort of thing.

The only two problems I have found so far are:

1) I sometimes smack my knees on the handbars

2) There isn't much ground clearence. Is there a way I can make it have more? I was thinking if I could just have one crank (is that right, maybe front sprocket?) instead of the three that are on there. I only really use gears 1-7 anyway. Unless I am getting a lot of speed.

Thanks,

James

Also, I'm not too keen on the big wheels. But I don't think there is another option. Or is there?

post-25927-127248580019_thumb.jpg

Started on an x-ess too...if you learn the basics on that, then move to a trials specific rig...in my opinion you'll end up a better rider :)

Sounds good to me! :turned:

I have a few questions:

What should I practice first?

Do I need a front brake?

Should I get some new rims as the front is slightly buckled so it is a little bit annoying with front brakes?

Is there any parts which would make it better for what I want it to do?

Is it possible to put smaller wheels on as I think it looks a bit out of preportion. Maybe 24"?

Thanks,

James

I have a few questions:

pedal kick is what people usually start on because you need it in lots of trials moves

Do I need a front brake?

Dont NEED one but i would if i was you i would

Should I get some new rims as the front is slightly buckled so it is a little bit annoying with front brakes?

Nah, A spoke key is what you need otherwise you will be buying new wheels every few weeks :D

Getting riser bars and/or a longer stem will proberby solve this

Is it possible to put smaller wheels on as I think it looks a bit out of preportion. Maybe 24"?

Then your brakes wouldnt work :ermm:

Thanks,

James

Also, if you could i would buy a second-hand trials bike from ebay then virtually all of your concerns will be gone :)

I have a few questions:

Do I need a front brake?

Thanks,

James

True your front wheel...practice everything on www.trashzen.com

Ride it as it is!!!

Save your pennies, when something fails replace it with a decent trials specific part!

Damn straight, best way of doing it :)

Just kill it, then replace with bits as needed.

Also started on a Trek. Which held surprisingly well, considering the XC Racing rims.

1) true front rim and get a brake

2) adjust both brakes so that they bite and lock well. i.e - both pads touch at the same time, and all pads makes contact with the rim at once (sometimes they're a bit angled to help with modulation).

3) start by practicing rear wheel hops by leaning forwards with brakes locked, then rocking back. get the balance right. improve your balance by practicing Track Stand for a few minutes each time... it pays.

4) move on to pedal kicks, hopping on rear , bunnyhops and such...

enjoy

hey i started on a mtb too..

the key things to note:

make sure u have strong brakes if u are practicing rear wheel hops. U can see if there are any 2nd hand hs33 around, get a adapter and u can use them for both front and rear.

the simplest way to lighten your bike now is to convert it to single speed.. try a 22: 18/19 gear ratio, u can get a single speed converter kit and use your old gears.

What i firstly want to ask is, do you have any money to spend? Because you could take this quite seriously and get more specified parts for the job james.

Yes I do.

Maybe someone could right a list of parts which would help improve the bike, and I could then choose from the list. That way I can choose how much I want.

Thanks,

James

OR Would it just be easier and better to get a Trials Bike?

Also started on a Trek. Which held surprisingly well, considering the XC Racing rims.

1) true front rim and get a brake

2) adjust both brakes so that they bite and lock well. i.e - both pads touch at the same time, and all pads makes contact with the rim at once (sometimes they're a bit angled to help with modulation).

3) start by practicing rear wheel hops by leaning forwards with brakes locked, then rocking back. get the balance right. improve your balance by practicing Track Stand for a few minutes each time... it pays.

4) move on to pedal kicks, hopping on rear , bunnyhops and such...

enjoy

Hi,

Thanks for that. How do I true the front rim?

What would a suitable brake be?

When balancing do I just hold the bike, or do I try and keep moving my weight or do little hops or something like that? Its just its quite hard to hold it even when its on its balancing point.

Whats a track stand?

Thanks,

James

hey i started on a mtb too..

the key things to note:

make sure u have strong brakes if u are practicing rear wheel hops. U can see if there are any 2nd hand hs33 around, get a adapter and u can use them for both front and rear.

the simplest way to lighten your bike now is to convert it to single speed.. try a 22: 18/19 gear ratio, u can get a single speed converter kit and use your old gears.

Thanks. I'll look into that tonight.

Off to school now!

Thanks,

James

Also, if you could i would buy a second-hand trials bike from ebay then virtually all of your concerns will be gone :)

I know but that is the £200 option! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

James

You'll find you'll spend nearly that much sorting the front wheel out, gettin some half decent brakes and setting your trek up to single speed.

You really wanna get rid of the forks for some rigids to start with, ditch the biggest chainring, cut the teeth off the middle and fit it where the big one is currently to serve as a makeshift bashring and get the front wheel trued by a bike shop an get the brake back on an setup nicely.

Anything is possible dude! I started on an old X-cell, lots of people on here rode similar things back in the day too.

It'll take you longer to learn, but it is possible.

So glad you said that. I have an old X-Cell sitting in the shed and was having evil thoughts about trying to learn bike trials on it.

Edd

I started trials on my 19" Specilized Hardrock and got on fine with it. I started with things like pivots, bunnyhops and trackstands. I could never get pedal kicks becuase the engagments were pretty crap. Ideally, you would get a trials bike. The money spent on getting your Trek to be decently usable to trials is comparable to a second hand one.

But for getting the basics until then it's fine.

A trackstand is staying still on the bike on both wheels. Fairly simple but takes a while to really get them effortless.

A pedalkick is when you backhop going forwards by releasing the back brake, kicking on your cranks and lifting to got the forward motion and landing with the back brake on.

Look at www.trashzen.com

Thanks for that. How do I true the front rim?

What would a suitable brake be?

When balancing do I just hold the bike, or do I try and keep moving my weight or do little hops or something like that? Its just its quite hard to hold it even when its on its balancing point.

Whats a track stand?

a) you dont true the rim, unless you have some experience. Basic truing is so difficult, but you should have some idea of what you're doing. Its a simple and cheap procedure at a local bike shop usually. you can also check some online tutorials, there are plenty (check out the website of guru "sheldon brown"). And again, do it with care, its easy to do more damage than good if you're rushing it.

B) i've used Avid Single Digit's and they're brilliant. any decent V brake will do, its mostly a matter of setup and decent pads. V brakes lock really well when dialed.

c) at first try little hops going backwards, while pulling the bars towards you. start with arms stretched, lean back, and when you're at the sweet spot pull the handlebars a little bit towards you. rear brakes lock, yeah? that should get you hopping a bit, usually backwards. when you're comfy with that, u can start pedal kicks to get the wheel up. and yeah, hopping in place is easier than standing on the wheel motionless (ever tried a pogo stick?)

There are tons of tutorials - everyone started from something! just google, and soon enough you'll be elbow deep in them.

d) track stand- when you stand with the bike in place, pretty much motionless. both wheels on ground. great way to improve balance and THE basic trial move i guess... (at least until i get the hang of tap ups)

anyone got the photo of ali c beasting his mtb? if you run a pro2 hub wider bars, a longer stem and a sturdy set of cranks you should be ok but youll struggle to go big and master complex moves where a compact frame can help

The bike looks good man!

you should practice track stands abd riding skinnies first before you do any rear wheel moves!

call me old school, but you need to be able to ride with two wheels before you can ride on one wheel.

I didnt bother doing the balance when I started out and now I'm doing the basics again.

a) you dont true the rim, unless you have some experience. Basic truing is so difficult

:huh:

Truing a wheel is something everyone needs to learn to do. Bit of logical thinking and it's a piece of piss - if it's over to one side, tighten the spoke on the opposite side. Granted its not always that simple, but it's the basic principle which always applies. Buy a decent spoke key, go nuts.

Everyone saying learn to pedal hop straight off, forget that. Get your balance dialled, just go out and learn how to track stand for an eternity, ride along kerbs slowly, stuff like that. You might not feel like a hero, but it'll do you a world of good in the long run. That shouldn't take long at all, then you can learn pedal hops and that.