Gearing Help Needed Fast

staryarm69

I need some help I got a second hand gu typhoon frame ( http://www.trialprod.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=233&osCsid=2dbbabfcdfab256c7a475dcb90289230 ) and got my new back wheel today a trialtech race ( http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10659&category_id=61 ) but I got a bmx freewheel and the theaded section is to small to fit my hub a then found a old wheel with a 18t freewheel that fits but the chain rubs on my frame. So cud any one tell me the right freewheel for the job. And I have a 18 tooth fixed ring on the front and id like to have my gearing a little harder then the bikes iv tried (onza t-bird and t-vee ).

Please someone point me the right way and for as cheap as possible as founds all lower than low and I really wont start riding trials.

You wanna be running a 12t sprocket on the back, 18 is way too big!

12t sprocket will be 12 quid from tarty, neon or echo TR :)

Edit:

12 tooth rear sprocket providing you're running a front 18t freewheel?

its a fixed on front but if its not hard to do il change it to front free wheel also will this setup run a bit stiffer as i find the bikes iv bin on to easy for me.

thanks

its a fixed on front but if its not hard to do il change it to front free wheel also will this setup run a bit stiffer as i find the bikes iv bin on to easy for me.

thanks

I think something low slow like the GU won't really suit a fixed front srocket unless it's really small, In which case you need a tiny rear sprocket to get the gearing right.

If you're running a fixed front, most people use a freehub rather than a freewheel at the back.

Profile hubs are very popular but expensive, it'd be cheaper for you to go front freewheel in your case.

What was the gearing on the bikes you've been on? almost all mods run 18/12 or close to that, it's just perfect really.

So you were planning on running rear freewheel? Like PeanuckleJive has said, it will be far easier to run FFW (front freewheel). I imagine the chain is rubbing on the underside of the 'seatstay' on the frame? This will be due to the size of the freewheel you have put on the back.

Best option to get it running would be to get a 12/13t rear sprocket and a freewheel for the front. I'd plump as much cash as you could for a proper 'trials' freewheel as this will be more cost effective in the long run rather than annihilating lesser freewheels. Find a second hand ENO/Tensile etc and you'll be laughing! (Y)

I'd plump as much cash as you could for a proper 'trials' freewheel as this will be more cost effective in the long run rather than annihilating lesser freewheels. Find a second hand ENO/Tensile etc and you'll be laughing! (Y)

Something I couldn't agree more with.

I ran a cheapo dorito shimano freewheel for a long long time, 18 engagement points!

Invested in a 60 click tensile and it does feel way better. you also put a lot more trust into it because it's been designed for trials use.

A decent front freewheel (if you want one new) will be somewhere around £40, or more if you want more engagements. but to be honest, 60 is enough.

and a sprocket for £12 new

If you can find them both second hand, you'll probably get them for under £35, then you're laughing :)

thanks lads im goin front freewheel now but just wont the ratio i little harder then standerd. iv only tryed onza t bird n t vee but found then a tad to easy to pedal.

that's just trials bikes to be honest. Once you get used to it it's fine.

if you really wanna go harder, you'll need a bigger freewheel, which really limits your choices since 90% of them are 18tooth only :rolleyes:

and I don't think you can get sprockets smaller than 11t

try 18-12 for a while at least, almost everybody else uses it so it's gotta be useful :lol:

So you were planning on running rear freewheel? Like PeanuckleJive has said, it will be far easier to run FFW (front freewheel). I imagine the chain is rubbing on the underside of the 'seatstay' on the frame? This will be due to the size of the freewheel you have put on the back.

Best option to get it running would be to get a 12/13t rear sprocket and a freewheel for the front. I'd plump as much cash as you could for a proper 'trials' freewheel as this will be more cost effective in the long run rather than annihilating lesser freewheels. Find a second hand ENO/Tensile etc and you'll be laughing! (Y)

im thinkin this on front http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10329&category_id=16 and a 12 on back id like it stiffer gearin but dont think its gonna happen

im thinkin this on front http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10329&category_id=16 and a 12 on back id like it stiffer gearin but dont think its gonna happen

Never heard anything about the v!z freewheels so can't vouch for the quality. Can't fault my tensile though.

The echo freewheels are popular, they're 72 EP too and £6 cheaper than the v!z

A hard gearing isn't really what's wanted in trials because it's all about pedal kicks and you can more power down with a low gear.

you're new to trials right?

Never heard anything about the v!z freewheels so can't vouch for the quality. Can't fault my tensile though.

The echo freewheels are popular, they're 72 EP too and £6 cheaper than the v!z

A hard gearing isn't really what's wanted in trials because it's all about pedal kicks and you can more power down with a low gear.

you're new to trials right?

i had an onza t bird bout 4 year back n i rode it a lot better once i droped down two teeth on back it was either a 18 to 16 or a 16 to 14 i went i had that for about 5 month and some one stole it. on the tensile i dont get the spikey lookin bit on the inside edge dont that stop it goin all why on it looks like it covers the thread sorta puts me of a bit.

i had an onza t bird bout 4 year back n i rode it a lot better once i droped down two teeth on back it was either a 18 to 16 or a 16 to 14 i went i had that for about 5 month and some one stole it. on the tensile i dont get the spikey lookin bit on the inside edge dont that stop it goin all why on it looks like it covers the thread sorta puts me of a bit.

The spikey bit is because you can use a bb tool instead of a 'normal' freewheel tool, still works fine and dosn't effect the thread.

Seriously, go for 18-12 and run that for a bit. Theres only so much people can advise on here, with it all being down to their own personal preference. I actually went to 18-13 as I found I could put the power down better for gapping etc. As they say, dont knock it until you've tried it :giggle:

Regarding the freewheel, the V!Z one will be a 'generic' 72 ep one. Having never run one I cannot vouch for the quality but for the extra £5 I'd advise you to go for the Tensile 96 click. My friend has one and its a pretty damn good freewheel. Keep it serviced and it wont skip, they have quite stiff springs and of course more engagements over other freewheels (bar Echo SL, Try-All 108 etc...). Tensile though (Y).

just mackin sure i didnt need any fancy tools or anything like that and just one more thing do u have any advice on how to get my fixed sprocket of my crank arm cos it dont look easy lol.

you'll just need a standard shimano style BB tool for fitting the freewheel

as for remove the sprocket off the cranks, have a look at the video guide here:

http://tartybikes.co.uk/media.php?group=guides&id=1

The chain method is what you want, that will sort you out

When you put the sprocket and freewheel on, it doesn't matter if you can't get it ridiculously tight by hand because the thread means they will tighten up as you pedal

you'll just need a standard shimano style BB tool for fitting the freewheel

as for remove the sprocket off the cranks, have a look at the video guide here:

http://tartybikes.co.uk/media.php?group=guides&id=1

The chain method is what you want, that will sort you out

When you put the sprocket and freewheel on, it doesn't matter if you can't get it ridiculously tight by hand because the thread means they will tighten up as you pedal

wickid thanks a lot mate uv bin a great help il get the stuff orderd as soon as i sale some more of my bmx lol cheers.

awesome stuff, glad to help :)

You got my vote ages ago, hopefully you're not far from getting validated

+1, you'll be able to bag all sorts of bargains then in the for sale section! With regards to removing the sprocket with the chain method, a little tip is to have one link cocked up so that it gets 'stuck' on the jaws of the vice. This helps it rather than the chain getting pulled through the jaws.

And when you screw the new sprocket and freewheel on, remember, grease is your friend!

awesome stuff, glad to help :)

You got my vote ages ago, hopefully you're not far from getting validated

:) nice one mate i dont know how far of i im i dont know how to find out lol be good when i do get validated can use the for sale section then lol thanks for your vote mate.