Why Do You Boys Do It To Your Self?

It can only rust in the presence of water and air. If the spring was rusted it's been badly bled or has been sitting for ages unused in a partly filled state.

I've also been using pure (tap) water for about 7 years with no problems at all.

Since water has oxygen in it I'm quite sure it could rust. Otherwise sunken ships would not rust?

Having said that, I've not experienced any problems with water bleeds so far.

thanks jd i have been about for a bit,

early some one said its not pos to make a metal spring rust......... :blink:

Tell us where the spring is... I'm gonna get you to figure this one out yourself. It's not the fact that a metal spring can't rust, it's that that metal spring is almost impossible to have rusted.

old citreons used to use a mineral oil for the suspension and brakes it contains corrosion inhibiters and is a proper hydraulic systems fluid & for the price of a little bottle of blood you get a whole ltr of citreons fluid called lhm what they dont tell you is that old magura systems used to come supplied with this as standard branded as there own i keep a bottle in the garage and just take a small bottle of it with me.

Tell us where the spring is... I'm gonna get you to figure this one out yourself. It's not the fact that a metal spring can't rust, it's that that metal spring is almost impossible to have rusted.

the spring in the lev. and the quote about figure this one out my self i ant a school kid,but dont worrie i am sure rich kids dont have this probs because they dont look after there is stuff ,when stuff brake cry wolf and mum and dad are there .so any one who just buys new stuff please and who cant be bothed to fix them please dont post.

pics are taken to show WHERE springs are on hs33, and how water does f**k metal and rubber. but i am sure i am just wasting my time as i am just old man a JD,.

the spring in the lev. and the quote about figure this one out my self i ant a school kid,but dont worrie i am sure rich kids dont have this probs because they dont look after there is stuff ,when stuff brake cry wolf and mum and dad are there .so any one who just buys new stuff please and who cant be bothed to fix them please dont post.

pics are taken to show WHERE springs are on hs33, and how water does f**k metal and rubber. but i am sure i am just wasting my time as i am just old man a JD,.

Didn't get a word of that. but the fact of the matter is that the spring will only rust if you have a crappy bleed that's full of air or you use some crazy oxygen-rich water :rolleyes:

Everybody is aware that water isn't recommended and can lead to problems.

Also, my parents have never ever bought me a single bike part, I've built it all from my own hard earned cash :lol:

Didn't get a word of that. but the fact of the matter is that the spring will only rust if you have a crappy bleed that's full of air or you use some crazy oxygen-rich water :rolleyes:

Everybody is aware that water isn't recommended and can lead to problems.

Also, my parents have never ever bought me a single bike part, I've built it all from my own hard earned cash :lol:

If you want to get all sciency.

1/3 of water is oxygen, thats pretty oxygen rich.

Then again water is never pure but its still a damn lot.

This seems to be one of these posts where everyone thinks there right.

Water works and really doesn't ruin your brake if you look after it even slightly, oil works with very little or no maintenance.

Mr Old Boy, age is in no way propotional to intelligence or knowledge, get of your high horse and listen to what people have got to say, in the topic YOU started.

You ask why, people tell you, you then tell them that there wrong, don't ask if your determined your right.

Rant over, I prefer water.

I'm not a rich kid for a start. I'm not that much younger than you in fact. I've been riding longer than some of these kids have been 'a live' too (but I obviously came about after they started teaching English at school...) but that doesn't mean I know more than them by default.

On this subject you're wrong. The spring you're referring too shouldn't come into contact with the water in the bleed anyway, as far as I can remember. Even if it does, it shouldn't rust because of the reasons stated before me about how ships rust under water but far slower than the amount of time we'd use a Magura.

The reason I'm calling you out on this is because you seem to think you're the only one who's experience the 'old school'. Check out my bike spec in my profile - that's the bike I still (occasionally) ride. It was my third 'trials' bike. Everything before it was bodged just as much as anyone else. You know what it was like in 1998, which is when I started riding, there was no trials specific stuff so things broke and we fixed them. You're not the only one so hush your noise old man :P(Y)

LOL grab you pitch forks boys its a witchin hour.

god chill out ,

JD; there is not no need to be disrespectful .

but you know what boys you are all right there are no springs to rust on 33's , if people want to run water its up to them i was only asking why people do it .

but if people are going to be disrespectful i ant got no buisness being on here.

rant over.

has said end off post for manythank guys for your in put happy riding..

god chill out ,

but you know what boys you are all right there are no springs to rust on 33's , if people want to run water its up to them i was only asking why people do it .

but if people are going to be disrespectful i ant got no buisness being on here.

rant over.

Oh. My. God.

Where was I disrespectful there? Pointing out that your posts are difficult to read because you put no effort into them? If that's the case then fine, but I for one like to be able to read something once and reply, not have to concentrate on working out what the hell it says.

Or maybe it was when I called you an old man? If so, then look for the smiley after. It's said in jest. You're 27 for f**ks sake, hardly zimmer frame time. There's a lot of people on here that are over and in their mid 20's who are here to have a laugh, not go on about how they are older so they must be right.

You seem to only pick out the bits of posts that you think are attacking you in some way. Try reading the bits where I'm saying I've done the same things as you, I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. This forum and it's members are much nicer to you when you're not acting like a kid!

god chill out ,

rant over.

I think you talk shit.

to get back to the problem...

I've been using distilled or deionised water in my maggies for 1,5 years without problems. In the winter months i change it to anti-freeze(It has to be sealing-friendly ).

so the distilled water prevents rusting, and it won't damage the sealing =)

to get back to the problem...

I've been using distilled or deionised water in my maggies for 1,5 years without problems. In the winter months i change it to anti-freeze(It has to be sealing-friendly ).

so the distilled water prevents rusting, and it won't damage the sealing =)

This guy knows how it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

been working with bike longer then you have been a live.

when stuff brake cry wolf and mum and dad are there .so any one who just buys new stuff please and who cant be bothed to fix them please dont post.

but you know what boys you are all right there are no springs to rust on 33's ,

like i said end off.

I'm going to be entirely honest and blunt with you here, but you come across as a condescending, patronizing, wanker. You're probably not, but given that you keep referring to everyone as boys thats how it appears when you read through what you've written. Combine that with you not paying attention to what people say and i think you can understand why you're receiving the slightly hostile responses.

So you've had an experience with a malfunctioning piece of equipment, it's no biggy. I had my maguras bled with oil once and the seal died in the slave and i replaced it. I'm not going to go around suggesting that all oil bleeds are bad. I've also had a water bleed for the last 2-3 years, in which it's been bled twice, maybe three times and i've had no problems other than a snapped pad retention pin on the slave.

I can't see where anybody has said that metal springs can't rust, or that there aren't springs inside the lever body. But many people have said that the spring in the lever will not rust if it's bled properly. I've not observed mine over time so can't say for sure but it seems a lot of people are working under some very big misconceptions.

Metal will rust when in contact with both water and air. If a brake is bled properly there shouldn't be air pockets in the line and as such it shouldn't be prone to rusting. It will probably rust over a long time, but in that time frame the brake will most likely need replacing anyway due to component-intensive the nature of the sport.

Someone also mentioned the way sunken ships rust. Again, this does happen but it happens over a very long time and most of the time the sunken ships being referred to are in salt water, which is much more corrosive than deionized or even regular tap water.

People wanting the best possible performance often choose a water bleed because of the way it acts and feels. It isn't just trials where this performance:longevity ratio is altered by the user, people overclock computers for more speed at the expense of a longer life, race car tyres are formulated for more grip over durability and even brake pads vary in terms of performance and life. At the end of the day people want different things and as such are willing to make informed sacrifices in order to gain what they want to achieve.