Hope Brake Help Needed.

Laurence--Trials

I have a 2003 Hope disc brake (off eBay if anyone is interested) and my rear one has never really worked very well and we found out the problem, one of the pads doesn't come out when you pull the lever (its not mono because both pads move on the front brake)

Any ideas what could be causing this?

and obviously how to fix it.

Laurence.

It could be a number of things:

-Sticky piston due to dirt in the caliper/around the piston

-Unevenly worn piston seals causing one piston to move freer then the other

-Siezed piston due to wear/corrosion

-Air behind the piston (the brake can still feel solid when this is the case so its hard to diagnose)

It's probably worth taking the pads out and giving the caliper a good clean with a toothbrush and some gt85. Push the pistons back and see if you can get them both moving equally. If not it might be worth getting somebody else to look at it.

Basically, if you don't have any experience with disc brakes its quite hard to diagnose the exact cause. It's also easy to get something wrong and do more harm than good. I'd advise sending it back to Hope, they will give it full service and replace all the seals for around £40. This is rediculously cheap for the amount of work involved and will basically return the brake to as new condition.

I have a 2003 Hope disc brake (off eBay if anyone is interested) and my rear one has never really worked very well and we found out the problem, one of the pads doesn't come out when you pull the lever (its not mono because both pads move on the front brake)

Any ideas what could be causing this?

and obviously how to fix it.

Laurence.

What do you mean by that :blink:

So your saying only 1 pads moves on a mono? I thought they were called mono brakes as they are single pot calipers?

More on topic. Clean the brake. Then try and trap the freely moving piston and get the other moving freely with the brake lever. Mine did this and they were fine in the end

haha no... its NOT a mono.

Your lack of intelligence confuses me, he was confused because you said on a mono only one pad moves. He then gave you some help related to your issue in which you reply, again, that it is not a mono.

Your lack of intelligence confuses me, he was confused because you said on a mono only one pad moves. He then gave you some help related to your issue in which you reply, again, that it is not a mono.

:ermm::huh:

Ok thanks, ill check out all of those, see if its fixed after.

The first option is the only one which is an easy fix, all the other three involve a complete caliper strip down which is a very involved job

But for sending it to hope thingy bob couldn't i get a new second hand one (if you get meee...) for £40?

Yeah and it will most likely have plenty of other problems to! The full service returns the brake to as new standard and can seriously improve the brake performance. There is so much that can go wrong with disc brakes, as a professional mechanic I can safely say it is very rare to find a 2nd hand brake in mint condition! They hardly ever work as they should, usually the fluid degrades, the bleed is poor and the pistons are sticky. But as most riders don't know exactly how they should work these problems go unnoticed or ignored.

:ermm: Sorry for the confusion:

Its not a Hope mono Brake because both brakes are the same and on the front brake both pads do move.

Better?

You seem to be confused. Both pistons move on all Hope brakes, they are called mono because the caliper is made from one piece of aluminium, rather than 2 pieces bolted together.