Planet X Stems Anyone?

foxinsocks

I wanna buy a Planet X 120mm (20 mm rise) stem from some dude on eBay... but he can't tell me how much it weighs.

Im afraid i'll get stuck with a heavy piece of led..

Any one know the weight? are they any good?

got a pic mate? i use to use one years ago, done me but there are a lot better stems out there.

I wanna buy a Planet X 120mm (20 mm rise) stem from some dude on eBay... but he can't tell me how much it weighs.

Im afraid i'll get stuck with a heavy piece of led..

Any one know the weight? are they any good?

Not Mark Anthonys by any chance is it?? Just so you know if its the one I'm thinking of it doesn't take the current standard oversize bars so you'd have to source some older style ones.

867.jpg

Edited by isitafox

Not Mark Anthonys by any chance is it?? Just so you know if its the one I'm thinking of it doesn't take the current standard oversize bars so you'd have to source some older style ones.

Yes, it is Mark Anthony's actually.

Was surprised to see someone selling so many stems (like, hundreds) without knowing their weight :)

I got standard bars, so im cool with the size. Its either that, or spending another 10-15 quid on a Trialtech forged (which i know are light, but are 17degrees and i prefer 20).

Anyway- its this stem, the 120mm "beam me up". (uploader didnt work, so im attaching the link)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Planet-X-Beam-Me-Up-Stem-120mm-20-degree-silver-/390111532213?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5ad47594b5

If nobody's got the weight, i'll probably go for the trialtech just to be safe... (but it doesnt hurt checking)

Yes, it is Mark Anthony's actually.

Was surprised to see someone selling so many stems (like, hundreds) without knowing their weight smile.gif

I got standard bars, so im cool with the size. Its either that, or spending another 10-15 quid on a Trialtech forged (which i know are light, but are 17degrees and i prefer 20).

Anyway- its this stem, the 120mm "beam me up". (uploader didnt work, so im attaching the link)

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item5ad47594b5

If nobody's got the weight, i'll probably go for the trialtech just to be safe... (but it doesnt hurt checking)

Yeah he used to have a bike shop near here but ended up closing down, got unlucky with a few things like a cut and shut ferrari, so is just selling all the old stock on ebay now. My cousin still uses one of those on his Azonic DS1 and I almost bought one the other week to be honest, don't think there's much difference in weight between this an the trialtech although its worth considering if you snap your bars can you get some standard size ones easily? If not it may be worth spending the extra and getting the trialtech and some oversize bars, at least you'd have the peace of mind which I did!

Thanks.

I'll probably go for the trialtech. It looks lighter, and when it comes to stems even a 100gr difference can be very noticable.

Just wish Trialtech had a little more rise to it. not sure 17 degrees will be enough on my Toxsin.

Can you not stick a few more spacers under it or is the steerer tube already cut on the forks? Other than that you'll just have to find some bars with a big rise to make up the difference.

Can you not stick a few more spacers under it or is the steerer tube already cut on the forks? Other than that you'll just have to find some bars with a big rise to make up the difference.

Well, it currently has a Toxsin stem on, with a higher stack height than the TrialTech. So i can probably stick another spacer, which is nice. Bars are TryAll risers, so i'll probably manage.

It'll probably ride just fine, dunno why im so picky :turned:

Thanks.

So, assuming the 105mm is 228g, the 120mm should be around 250 gr. which is around 90 gr more than the Trialtech (my mom's a math teacher, she must be so proud...)

Plus the oversize bar issue - i think that settles it. Too bad, i love PlanetX stuff.

Thanks.

I'll probably go for the trialtech. It looks lighter, and when it comes to stems even a 100gr difference can be very noticable.

Just wish Trialtech had a little more rise to it. not sure 17 degrees will be enough on my Toxsin.

why dont you go with the trialtech race welded ? it comes in 120 x 20 too...... and its £30 , i had the forged and it felt like cheese and my bars creaked like hell.....

and its not heavy, tarty had the weight at nearly 300grams which was wrong as trialtechs website had it at 218grams .. i was going to mention this to tarty when i orderedmine but it seems they've corrected it , .. brilliant stem and super stiff and strong