Flared Headtube

peggysue

evening all....

ok i bought a second hand gu typhoon 06 stock frame off a mate and when i put it all together i noticed i could push my headset cups into the frame with a bit of strength with my hand . i know this is the sign of a flared headtube but up until recently its been fine . i took my bike out the house this morning and noticed the headset was very stiff and turning the bars i noticed the bottom headset cup turned in the frame . i took it all apart and now the bottom cup just falls in and out ...

i re greased everything and cleaned it all out and its riding ok again , but is it going to get any worse? or is there a fix for this ? ive never had a problem like this ever on my bikes , just curious really ,

i suppose its only got to last me another month or two before i buy a new frame

cheers

cut a sliver of a coke can the same width and length to wrap round the cup using a Stanley knive, wrap it round your cup hammer it in... job done, rode one like that for ages and it was fine!

or get an oversized headset like a chris king should be a lot more snugg in there.

cut a sliver of a coke can the same width and length to wrap round the cup using a Stanley knive, wrap it round your cup hammer it in... job done, rode one like that for ages and it was fine!

or get an oversized headset like a chris king should be a lot more snugg in there.

cool.... was thinking along them lines myself ... might just give that ago !!

Fsa pig headset would sort it out if it isn't one already...

They're pretty cheap and strong too.

yeah ive got the echo headset the £40 one... headsets fine though to be honest ... will keep it for a while yet