Portal - Free

JT!

Still cant get over the gap I MUST BE REALLY REALLY STUPID.

You probably need to make a portal high up, and one on the floor, go through, and fire just before you hit the floor so you gather more momentum, and fly over the gap.

That's usually the trick.

That's nothing, I can't even install the f**king thing!! :P

Much faster and easier if you already have hl2 installed, only took about 5 mins to download the additional content :) For some reason steam wont recognise that I have almost a meg a second bandwidth and wont download any faster than 230kbps :(

Woo! I think I've actually done it! Yeah, installing when your computer doesn't run on Steam and you don't have an account and stuff messes things up.

Edit: Nope. Spoke too soon. It's now 'updating' and will take another hour and a half. I want to uninstall the damn thing before I've even opened it! Better be worth it...

It's a source engine game, you can manage the same framerates that you're currently getting with an 8800gt.

I didnt quote my framerates? :mellow:

With dual 9800m GT's the framerate drops down to 10-15 with everything on high @1920x1200 if you look down 2 portals opposite each other (Portal render depth on 9)

Finished Portal:Prelude last night too. Much more challanging than the original game and well worth a go if you completed the original Portal in a couple of hours with no major trouble.

Edited by Clawz114

Booyah!

24 hours of Portaling and ive completed all the advanced missions and challange missions, along with the 15 acheivments.

Completed Portal:Prelude too but the challange missions on there are reaaally hard.

Edited by Clawz114

I didnt quote my framerates? :mellow:

With dual 9800m GT's the framerate drops down to 10-15 with everything on high @1920x1200 if you look down 2 portals opposite each other (Portal render depth on 9)

No need to quote them, unless you're an idiot or running a CRT (which i doubt now tft's are good and you have the money for your current card) then you'll most likely be running 60fps, 120fps if you have one of the the new fancy monitors. My housemates 8800GTX managed portal without dropping down at all when he played it at the same settings.

My point is the steam engine is pretty easy going on the graphics cards, it's the processor that see the big differences in framerates as it hammers, or at least used to hammer the processors before the whole 3ghz plus dual/quad cores came about. Back in the day i was running 16x10 screen res with a 7600gt and was getting 35-40fps in source games!

then you'll most likely be running 60fps, 120fps if you have one of the the new fancy monitors.

To be precise, i get a constant 300fps, and that appears to be Portals fps limit (as Fraps has a maximum fps readout of 9999fps) so theres potential to go even further than 300 if Portal allowed it. With portal render depth on 9, it stays at a constant 60fps, which seems to be a new fps for that portal render depth setting.

I was only trying to say you can't get the same framerates with an 8800GT, as you said on the last page. Thats all.

Edited by Clawz114

To be precise, i get a constant 300fps, and that appears to be Portals fps limit (as Fraps has a maximum fps readout of 9999fps) so theres potential to go even further than 300 if Portal allowed it. With portal render depth on 9, it stays at a constant 60fps, which seems to be a new fps for that portal render depth setting.

I was only trying to say you can't get the same framerates with an 8800GT, as you said on the last page. Thats all.

But if you have v-sync enabled (which you really should) it will cap you to the fastest refresh rate of your monitor to remove horizontal tearing, something that poses a large problem in the source engine. Standard tft refresh rates are 60hz and 120hz. Hence a max framerate of 60fps or 120fps. It won't be the new render depth setting, it'll be v-sync.

With the game looking terrible with tearing you should really enable it, and both cards are more than capable of sticking at a constant 60fps which is why i gave you my original statement that both cards will produce the same framerate.

Ha, portal prelude is solid! I'm only on the 4th chamber or something, the one with the panel at the ceiling where you have to jump inside that glass screen to get out...

Just finished prelude, tis waaay harder than the original and the last level is a bitch! :)

What the actual f**k, just went into the chamber with the turrets, falling roof and electric walls... well, sure, I can get out of the first bit, and out of the second bit, but after then, no, and then I get to listen to microsoft sam gloat about the fact I'm going to get annihilated. And then get annihilated.

What the actual f**k, just went into the chamber with the turrets, falling roof and electric walls... well, sure, I can get out of the first bit, and out of the second bit, but after then, no, and then I get to listen to microsoft sam gloat about the fact I'm going to get annihilated. And then get annihilated.

Cant remember off the top of me head, some of them are mind numbing and you have to be spot on with portal timing and position. I think the hardest thing to get my head around was skipping from blue to orange side by side on the floor in order to increase speed/height.

If youre really there are plenty of youtube video walkthroughs :)

Remember our motto -

"there is a hole in the sky, in which things can fly"

is what glados says.

In the portal trailer there's challenge rooms that look badass! Aww, such a shame they were left out.

Edited by Revolver

• 2 weeks later...