What's Up With The Old Zoo Pads?

Canardweb

Hello, I noticed Tartybikes had received new Echo TR pads. It was written in the description that they were made of a similar compound to the Old School ZOO pads.

That reminded me that people used to talk about them, and they use to tell thay were brilliant. So, as the title says really:

Are they really that good?

What brake setup are they made for?

Thanks a lot!

I never actually used a pair until about a year ago. They were good as people said. But i previously had similar experiences with CRMs and Monty Milks. I think i would rather have the Milks over the Greens still.

They were for smooth rim only i presume. But CRMs and Milks could handle grinds still.

Seeing as it's summer might worth a shot, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

I never actually used a pair until about a year ago. They were good as people said. But i previously had similar experiences with CRMs and Monty Milks. I think i would rather have the Milks over the Greens still.

They were for smooth rim only i presume. But CRMs and Milks could handle grinds still.

Seeing as it's summer might worth a shot, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

No, I love my Cousts too much, I was just wondering what the deal was...

I've tried them (and other echo pads) for a long period of time, and here is my opinion.

UTTER BOLLOCKS (N)

They have little to no hold, no grab and NEED tar to function even slightly.

Apart from that, the world is your oyster.

Rock pad Greens are much better for a smooth rim setup, that's what I've got now (Y)

Edited by MikeCottTrials

Almost every review I've ever seen of them was generally along the lines of "Great pads with a bit of tar". The 'with a bit of tar' bit in the key factor there, for obvious reasons.

That's not really a fair statement. Normally a lot of your tech knowledge is fairly spot-on about parts and things, but really, the original Zoo! pads weren't tar-dependent. From my personal experience they never needed tar.

They didn't wear out for me either. I bought mine from Select in 2006 and used them until early 2009, when I stopped riding trials and sold everything... including the Zoo! Pads which still had 3.5mm or more of pad material left. I'm not exagerrating. Mind you, I'm not a brake-dragger or blade-sharp harsh grind user either.

However I used them on mods and a stock, smooth anodized Echo Urban rim to Koxx worn-grind, to light sharp grind on another Echo rim. Worked incredibly on ALL setups. Including the smooth surface (only in the dry obviously). On a grind, they were pretty horrendously loud... a little irritating but reassuring... the result was a brake that held no matter what. The bite was spot on, the hold was unbreakable. I never used tar with these pads. Some of the people I rode with even asked me if I used tar, and wouldn't believe me when I said I didn't.. even after inspecting the rim surface themselves. These pads were that good for me. Maybe I got lucky. But yes... there have been bad batches, but overall they served well.

I know places you can still get old Deng parts in China, including the original ZOO pads. If anyone wants any I'll sell them reasonably cheap.

Heard they were epic on anodised rims (though not sure about painted rims) as long as you gave the pads time to bedding, when they leave a very thin visible layer of pad material on the rim. So as long as you didn't rub that off, they worked great, even better brake hold when you apply a bit of tar after bedding.

A couple of 'formula one style' highspeed braking runs required to get those pads up to temperature :lol:

I wasn't a big fan. I'm not one of these riders who likes a brake like a switch, I like a bit of modulation/feel and can't stand noise. They worked well enough on a handful of dry, sunny rides but otherwise squealed too much or didn't do the job. Without a grind they weren't up to par and with one they just disintegrated instantly.

Heard they were epic on anodised rims (though not sure about painted rims) as long as you gave the pads time to bedding, when they leave a very thin visible layer of pad material on the rim. So as long as you didn't rub that off, they worked great, even better brake hold when you apply a bit of tar after bedding.

A couple of 'formula one style' highspeed braking runs required to get those pads up to temperature :lol:

so wouldnt the tar get rid of the pad material?? :S