Douche Bag Computer

Joe O'Connor

I've stayed out of this so far but you are being such a linux fag it's unbelievable. I can see where you are coming from and why because I was exactly the same when I was about 16 and thought it was cool to not use Windows. Clearly you haven't grown out of it.

Linux is not as easy to use as Windows for 99% of people for one simple reason - they have used Windows for their entire computing life. It's like methods of transport - whether or not a helicopter is going to get you from a to b quicker and more efficiently (in terms of parking in the back garden) than a car is irrespective if the person only knows how to use a car and hasn't got the time or patience to learn how to fly a helicopter.

Linux works for you. Clap clap. Take your bow and f**k off so people can help this guy out with his problem.

Okay so from your own post we've established that even you think sometimes compatibility can be a pain in the ass. You say it's perfect for a non tech-savvy person then use an irrelevant example that describes your dads situation as being closer to that of an office environment (in which you form the IT admin section) that many people don't have at home. If your dad didn't have you to fix it what would happen? Next time something goes wrong with the computer don't fix it for him and see if .....

A. He can find/fix it himself

B. The nearest repair shop can work out what to do in order to sort it.

I'm fairly confident he'll give up and with no luck at the nearest computer repair place he/they would consider him replacing it with a new windows laptop.

My msn query was very specific. The kid sister wants windows live messenger because it's what she's used to and all her friends have it. She doesn't want "this sort of stuff", pidgen and aMSN are off the list! You've either got an unhappy sister or someone in the family needs a basic knowledge of the system in order to set up wine and try and get the microsoft .NET framework running. How is that any better than the current situation joe's in with his rundll32 issue?

There's no point trying to defend linux and provide counter examples of ways to fix it, you're effectively running through the alphabet to someone who can already read. We both know my point still stands. For a non-tech user in a standard family environment linux is not a feasible option because of the lack of technical support readily at hand (ie "my laptops broke, here it is... you fix it") and lack of support with common windows software and hardware. That is not me attacking linux so don't get offended, i'm merely telling it like it is.

Joe, windows 7 should be a lot nicer for you. Also, go for the 64bit version if you can, it has some better features in the background security wise and (fingers crossed) if you laptop lasts a few years before needing a fresh install you have the option of faster software in the rapidly growing x64 switchover while maintaining the option to use 32bit applications if you have to.

sorry i should proof read more lol,

the if for if it breaks is a bloody big if they have had installed for 2years now and the only bit that broke was for ailurus (an app to ease set-up and get apps) but this was cured by an update provided a hour later by the update manager

I've stayed out of this so far but you are being such a linux fag it's unbelievable. I can see where you are coming from and why because I was exactly the same when I was about 16 and thought it was cool to not use Windows. Clearly you haven't grown out of it.

Linux is not as easy to use as Windows for 99% of people for one simple reason - they have used Windows for their entire computing life. It's like methods of transport - whether or not a helicopter is going to get you from a to b quicker and more efficiently (in terms of parking in the back garden) than a car is irrespective if the person only knows how to use a car and hasn't got the time or patience to learn how to fly a helicopter.

Linux works for you. Clap clap. Take your bow and f**k off so people can help this guy out with his problem.

you have cleary not read my previous post of advise XP, WIN7 or MAC before LINUX, i offered these vs a suggestion, like people would advised many many different cars if you were looking for a new one

it's better to know the options available,

i do not think it is "cool" to not use windows i use a system that i can make more suitable to my needs, yes "i will never grow out of it" but that is because i have never seen my pc's an laptop run so fast etc etc

wouldn't you rather be given all the options than be pigeon-holed to one area

i am no longer goin to be comenting on this thread as you people seem far to narrow minded, i thought the idea's of forums was to share info not slate it because "you know better"

Edited by Tux07

Yes I have in fact, but I feel you did that just so that you could rabbit on about giving it to Linus Torsvald in the shitter and keep referring back with "well I did mention windows..." in the vague hope that people would buy the rubbish you're spouting.

I ran Linux in various guises for around 7 years. Red Hat 7 (I think) through to Ubuntu via pretty much every other distro out there. It always worked very well for me as a computing enthusiast, because you're very right in saying that you can build an OS package that is very streamlined and quick for an individuals needs. Unfortunately you're just not accepting that not everyone is a power user. Not everyone wants to have to re-learn what they've already learnt.

I'll make it clear now, I still don't use Windows for my main computer. My server runs Windows and that's about it, my laptop is a Mac. I absolutely swear by the way that Apple have built their OS to a point where it just so happens to be perfect for my needs. Am I suggesting that the OP should get OSX? No, because it probably isn't right for him.

He asked how to sort out his rundll32 problem - have you actually helped there in any way? If he decided to come here before going to Google to find out what might be wrong, do you really think he's suited to Googling any of the problems you could have with Linux? Obviously you've had a good run with the distros you've used, but you only have to head into any of the Linux forums to realise that it's unusual for anyone to have a completely trouble free install.

I was planning to end this by now, but I'll also bring up how you said this:

my system is set up to be attractive and full of funky lil effects thanks to compiz etc, i shall post a screencast on youtube after work of my system with its video wallpaper, true rgb transparency an similar things. it takes me a full half hour to get every app, game, codecs and the set up the funkiness then i take a copy with remastersys to save me starting all over again,

Does that sound like something a normal user can be f**ked with? All the stuff that Windows 7 can do out the box? Do you think that anyone coming from a completely Windows based background would even know that was possible? No, they'd think "This looks shit and it's too hard" and take it back to PC World where they'd be sold a windows based machine.

Luckily for everyone, you've already said you won't reply. It's especially lucky for you to stop yourself looking like more of a pillock.

the "free" bit doesn't totally mean free its for freedom, i.e. the freedom to midify it to suit ones needs, the trouble is as said before people are either afraid to try new things because of the spoonfed approach of microsoft i.e. buy a pc with windows pre-installed then you get media player an msn thown in your face but some people may want to use vlc or digsby.

i have never had a bug or prob runnin something my base system runs at about 10% of my ram where as win7s base system needs 1gb of ram no base system should use that much it's stupid, like runnin a car constantly at 8000rpm (its revving it's tits off before you start vid conversions etc)

my system is set up to be attractive and full of funky lil effects thanks to compiz etc, i shall post a screencast on youtube after work of my system with its video wallpaper, true rgb transparency an similar things. it takes me a full half hour to get every app, game, codecs and the set up the funkiness then i take a copy with remastersys to save me starting all over again,

photoshop and microsoft office work quite well on linux all you have to do is add wine and the font packages, there are loads of easy to follow howto's on sites like ubuntu-geek and the linux forms are very helpful

one question i do have s why is it that you buy a linux mag to read new scripts an c++ stuff or new features that are comin out or that are out now, then buy any windows mag to read how to fix things, microsoft boast about their new features which have been used by us for over 6 years like snapping windows (compiz), same with internet explorers 8second ads firefox did that stuff when it was on version 2 or something.

an saying that someone couldn't get on with firefox is a bit silly (not bein offensive) as they are practically the same just that some of the items in the menu are in a slightly different place.

You're missing my point entirely. While YOU might find that easy.... a lot of people don't. Windows magazines have features and fixes, which is not surprising as there are massively more windows machines than linux. Buying a laptop with linux on it kind of defeats the point if you then have to run an emulation package to turn it into a windows based machine so that you can do your work. In doing so requires a certain amount of knowledge on how to set it up and requires the installation of several key files in order to get it to run. That ISN'T easier, and ease is what people want. While it's great for you and you're really happy with it that doesn't mean everyone will be. People aren't forced to buy things, they choose to. Linux isn't available as a pre-install on machines for a reason, not because they're merely spoonfed.

You do realise that running 10% of RAM is a bad thing don't you?

tru that

I read a couple weeks back that 11% of computers worldwide have been updated to 7.

That's crazy numbers.

I didn't know it was that much, but i can't say it's surprising. Makes it much easier to see why there are so many "fix this", "speed this up" things in magazines for windows

As of January, all Windows versions accounted for 92.02 percent of devices accessing the Web, compared with 5.13 percent market share for the Mac.

Leaving just 2.85% for other machines, including linux. Of course linux mags are full of product features, there's not enough people using it to warrant constant fixes and patches to be explained to the average user.

Linky

P.S. Flipp, you'd love the weather here mate, crazy hot. Not sure what it's like for riding yet.... find out in about 2 hours :D

tru that

I read a couple weeks back that 11% of computers worldwide have been updated to 7.

That's crazy numbers.

I'd be more interested to see the comparison between Home users and Business users - most businesses will stay 3 years behind advancements with Server OS, although it's yet to be 'tested' with clients, 95, 98, and pretty much straight to XP. However Vista was such a tits up that no business would take it on, Windows 7 would be a competitor but not for a while yet...

Windows XP support is committed through 2014 - meaning that Windows 7 doesn't give many businesses a good enough reason to update too soon.

A fresh install of Vista with SP2 installed will work just fine.

Yes win 7 is better but it means buying a licence etc. Anyone using windows XP still needs to get out the dark ages.

Yes Linux is good is good but not for the novice user. I look after about 20 Linux servers at work (all using the CLI though). I tried ubuntu at work for a bit and would switch if it wasn't for the lack of photoshop. But now i'm getting a MBP for work so im a jack of all os's. They all have their uses/benefits but fanboy's just annoy the hell out of me.