New Inspired Website

Mark W

• 2 weeks later...

And in what glass house do I live…?

The design isn't bad, although very dated. Trying to be cool and edgy, but way back in 2001.

However, the information architecture and the build quality are pretty bad, the latter more so.

I don't rate <name of design agency removed>, but you're lucky, Mark, in that the Tarty site is the best I've seen from them.

There's a saying that goes "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." Okay. How about "Nobody should throw stones." That's crappy behavior. My policy is: "No stone throwing regardless of housing situation." Don't do it. There is one exception though. If you're trapped in a glass house, and you have a stone, then throw it. What are you, an idiot? So maybe it's "Only people in glass houses should throw stones, provided they are trapped in the house with a stone." It's a little longer, but yeah.
  • Like 1

There's a saying that goes "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." Okay. How about "Nobody should throw stones." That's crappy behavior. My policy is: "No stone throwing regardless of housing situation." Don't do it. There is one exception though. If you're trapped in a glass house, and you have a stone, then throw it. What are you, an idiot? So maybe it's "Only people in glass houses should throw stones, provided they are trapped in the house with a stone." It's a little longer, but yeah.

:wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Must. Bite. Tongue.

I happen to think the website looks pretty good, and I'm sure the majority of the forum will agree with that.

Sorry, but all this talk of 'Industry Standard Web Design' is starting to rub. I admire you're commitment and enthusiasm, but when it resorts to little cheap digs at peoples designs on here, I think you need to take a step back and let your head deflate a bit.

There are people on there would could quite easily put your designs 6ft under, and to be completely honest, most of yours I don't seem to find very ground breaking or creative.

Nuff said?

I don't want to be a willy or anything, but I thought I better say something before someone less understanding takes offence. I'm sure you're knowledge is 100% appriciated on this forum, just as is anyone elses. However, I tend to think it's a good idea to pick fault, but also offer a solution or valid suggestion.

As a designer I'm not that great, there are dozens of people on here who would kick my arse at design. However, I'm not berating the design so much as the build. That's all.

Sorry but development is my profession and it so happens that I'm a very good developer. My thoughts and opinions aren't unfounded or incorrect but, if it's annoying people then I shall stop.

Apologies, and all the best,

Harry

My job is to design and sell advertising, but I don't go on at any of the advertisers on this site about how to improve their click through rates and the like... I can't think of anything worse than bringing my job into somewhere I enjoy being. Cool of you to say that though (Y) (even if that head of yours seems very large indeed ;) )

My job is to design and sell advertising, but I don't go on at any of the advertisers on this site about how to improve their click through rates and the like... I can't think of anything worse than bringing my job into somewhere I enjoy being.

Well I'm a designer/developer but I tend to do better in the latter. Professionally I'm both.

Cool of you to say that though (Y) (even if that head of yours seems very large indeed ;) )

Haha, I'm a developer, not a c*nt. I hope ;)

The design isn't bad, although very dated. Trying to be cool and edgy, but way back in 2001.

However, the information architecture and the build quality are pretty bad, the latter more so.

Got to disagree there. Now I may not be a high flying web designer/developer which probably makes me more able to comment on the site from a lamens perspective as a trials riding user of the site. To me the site is clean, crisp and does everything it needs to in a very professional looking way.

In contrast I've got to say that similarly from a lamens view HarryRoberts.co.uk does look simplistic, dated and not what I'd expect from a web developer. But what do I know?!

Got to disagree there. Now I may not be a high flying web designer/developer which probably makes me more able to comment on the site from a lamens perspective as a trials riding user of the site. To me the site is clean, crisp and does everything it needs to in a very professional looking way.

In contrast I've got to say that similarly from a lamens view HarryRoberts.co.uk does look simplistic, dated and not what I'd expect from a web developer. But what do I know?!

From a designers point of view, all the sites in the Inspired's agency's portfolio look the same, http://www.coxwebdesign.com/

They all look like templates, all the same theme, style etc.

From a designers point of view, my sites have received reasonably high acclaim in the design world.

Design is subjective, build quality isn't. Even ignoring the design, the build alone of the site isn't very good (though believe me, there are far, far worse).

I'm not meaning to be a twat, it's just opinion from a web designer/developer on a website. I will be looking at it with a different set of eyes than most other users, hence my different opinions.

You mean like your blogs?

My blogs are personal sites so both designed to my personal tastes—strong typography and grids. Client sites however is a different story altogether.

Anyway, I've apologised for rubbing anyone up the wrong way, I really don't see why this is being dragged out any further. Design is subjective and the build quality is still shit.

My blogs are personal sites so both designed to my personal tastes—strong typography and grids. Client sites however is a different story altogether.

Anyway, I've apologised for rubbing anyone up the wrong way, I really don't see why this is being dragged out any further. Design is subjective and the build quality is still shit.

I thought you were going to bow out of this last time?

In that case, I suppose it's fair game now then yes? Didn't you recently post up about building a site template for individual trials riders? That would have resulted in a load of sites that looked the same.

You talk of how your work has been given great recognition in amongst your peers - feel free to show us. A comment on a website doesn't really count, let's go with those who are paid to be subjective - what awards have you won? What gives you the right to talk so much shit about your chosen field?

Your massive downfall, as it appears to me, is that you are not able to see a sites design from the eyes of its intended user. The overwhelming majority of people who've commented here that are not designers but trials riders interested in the content have not said that the design or build is shit. It has worked for those people, i.e. prospective customers and/or fans of the brand.

You could argue that a website for a business can be measured purely on the amount of business it brings in, pretty design and great build or not. If this new inspired site is likely to bring them more business then it's a success. So far, it doesn't look like anyone is going to avoid the website (due to either design or build) so I'd deem that a success.

Feel free to bring in more arguments to the point of "but it could run quicker" or "it's dated" or whatever - the point remains that it works for its intended audience.

*sigh*

EDIT: I had typed a fairly lengthy reply but to be honest it'd just fuel this farce.

I have given my opinion, you've given yours.

Done.

Can you expand on that? From my eyes it all seems clean and slick with nothing I would consider anything less than 'spot on', let alone 'shit'. But again, that's from me who knows nothing.

Okay, direct question.

There are some accessibility/semantics issues in the code, using images where it should be text and what not. This is a pretty in-detail issue pertaining to web-stabdards.

A more glaringly problematic issue is this: http://www.inspiredbicycles.com/newsletter_unsubscribe.php?email=';<script>alert('DODGY SCRIPT!!!')</script>

Hmmm, just copy/paste the following:

http://www.inspiredbicycles.com/newsletter_unsubscribe.php?email=';<script>alert('DODGY SCRIPT!!!')</script>

That example is fairly harmless but if you were to insert some malicious code (SQL) there's a chance you could destroy an entire database.

Edited by Bronz

From a designers point of view, all the sites in the Inspired's agency's portfolio look the same, http://www.coxwebdesign.com/

They all look like templates, all the same theme, style etc.

Client sites however is a different story altogether.

If they're designing sites for clients, and their clients state what they'd like from a finished design, then surely that's not CWD's fault? If one of their clients sees a site they've done and likes it, then wants something similar, they're obviously going to start having several sites that look similar in their portfolio. It's massively unlikely they're just going to say "No, I don't want to make another similar site". Bearing in mind the majority of people who've seen the site seem to like it (judging from this thread at least), it doesn't seem like it's necessarily a bad thing? I obviously can't comment on the build of the site (Although I didn't like the way the navigation bar switches to the bottom randomly on certain pages), but design wise it seems to suit what Inspired need.

I don't particularly want to make this personal or anything, but I'm not massively into the style and layout of your blogs. I'm sure they've got 'acclaim' from 'other designers' in that they appear to be a fairly generic 'new designer' style of doing them. However, just because other designers think they look cool doesn't mean that 'non-designers' are going to appreciate their aesthetics. Regardless - if that's your preference for aesthetics you're obviously not going to like the Inspired style, but just because you subscribe to the generic designer's layout and believe that's what people 'should' be doing, that doesn't mean that they actually should be doing it, and it doesn't mean more people are going to like it.