Unlocking My Iphone?

Ben John-Hynes

Okay well you can't download a jailbreak without knowing which version of the OS it's running and if you can't jailbreak it then you can't unlock it. Haven't you got a Sim card that was meant for that iphone to get onto the menu?

I jailbroke a 3.1.3 iphone but after the jailbreak it couldn't find signal with any sim card, even the original O2 sim card. Tried the usual ultrasn0w and blacksn0w unlocks but the phone was as good as an ipod touch. I've just restored it back to factory settings.

Nope.

If it's possible to unlock it'll be free and easily available online, DO NOT PAY FOR IT or you're being ripped off.

With the new model being released soon there will be new firmware and there will probably be an unlock shortly after - keep an eye on modmyi.com/ for info and it'll be up there. Lots of stuff worth a read on there to get yourself the info (Y)

What network do you want the phone on? Assuming it's on O2 you should be able to get them to unlock it for you. http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

Short of doing that or waiting the only other option is to sell it and buy one that's already unlocked or is on that network.

Nope.

If it's possible to unlock it'll be free and easily available online, DO NOT PAY FOR IT or you're being ripped off.

With the new model being released soon there will be new firmware and there will probably be an unlock shortly after - keep an eye on modmyi.com/ for info and it'll be up there. Lots of stuff worth a read on there to get yourself the info (Y)

What network do you want the phone on? Assuming it's on O2 you should be able to get them to unlock it for you. http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

Short of doing that or waiting the only other option is to sell it and buy one that's already unlocked or is on that network.

Brilliant! thanks. Yeah it's on o2 and i want it on orange. Is it worth going into an o2 shop and asking them? Or will that site do it for me/help me to do it?

That site should do the lot, provided you know the info needed (assuming you know whoever you got it from/whoever's it was when it was on O2)

Just in case, download f0recast from here and check which bootloader you have - the chance is slim but it may just be possible that you've got the 5.08 and can download (I had it purely by chance, but sold it on eBay about half an hour ago because mine was on O2 and I'm on Orange, decided to find myself a 3Gs in the process...)

3.1.3 is jailbreakable, that's easy.

5.12.01 BASEBAND is not unlockable.

Ben - unless you can get O2 to unlock it for you then you have yourself a new iPod Touch.

That said, restoring it in iTunes and then activating with my Orange sim worked fine for me, could work for you too?

Nope.

Massive thanks for posting that mate! I never realised O2 will unlock your phone for free, I've been trying to get the unlock for a while for my sister as I sold her a iphone (which was a reconditioned one from apple) on the 3.1.3.

Thanks alot! Just hope it works.

On the subject of selling iPhones, it would seem like now would be the best time to sell - they're bringing out a new one supposedly in 2 weeks so the prices on the old ones will drop.

I was thinking that earlier, might stick mine on tomorrow. Roughly know how much it'll go for? It's a jailbroken unlocked 8gb 3g with tomtom.

My 16Gb 3G with the 5.08 bootloader went for £345 as a Buy It Now within a couple of hours of being listed. £250 seemed to me to be a pretty fair price as a seller, whilst not being too much to put off buyers.

With a bit of luck the price of a 3Gs should drop once the new phone is released, with the unlocks being released a day or so after for 5.12.01 too :shifty:

• 2 years later...

Yeah, 'cause that's not a generic ad post...

If you hand over any money for an iPhone unlock you're doing it very wrong. There are literally HUNDREDS of guides on the net of how to do it should you wish to, though it's always worth double checking the best method for your specific version of iOS/your baseband before proceeding.