Who Has Bike Insurance ?

Ashley Sayers

my mates £800 bmx got robbed outside subway today and wondering about get my bike insured,

who's got insurance ? how much would it cost ?

cheers

I've never considered it as I just wouldn't leave it outside a shop or somewhere unless it was well chained up and I knew the area, I'm lucky though as where I live is only a small town so not much crime like that but I still wouldnt trust anyone!

leaving your bike outside un attended is a silly thing to do. never do that again (Y)

my bikes are covered on the house insurance, so im not to sure about a seperate insurance just for the bike.

i would have thought that it wouldnt be to much to insure, depending on the value of your bike. possibly £30 a year? complete guess

Just had a quick google search and a policy to cover a bike valued at £500 including competative use with like for like replacement of parts under a year old (they knock 10% off for each additional year), £1 million public liability insurance (in case you accidentaly hurt a 3rd party or damage someones property and they decide to take you to court), and a payout if you die or lose a limb is £70 a year for my postcode.

Bearing in mind the theft cover only applies if your bike is locked through the frame to an immoveable object using an approved lock.

It was £57 a year without the competing element and £40 without the competing or public liability!

Hope this helps!

The thing is, most policies say that if the bike's not secured with a lock of a certain anti theft rating, the policy is void. So having it nicked while you buy sandwich etc wouldn't be covered unless you lugged a D lock around with you, which no one does. I doubt many people ever leave their trials bikes locked up for long periods outdoors anyway?

The insurance I had for my XC bike required me to buy a Kryptonite D lock and send in the receipt in order to make a claim...

The thing is, most policies say that if the bike's not secured with a lock of a certain anti theft rating, the policy is void. So having it nicked while you buy sandwich etc wouldn't be covered unless you lugged a D lock around with you, which no one does.

Exactly, if my bike ever gets nicked I'll kick my shed door in and claim on the home and contents!

hi

i have all my bikes insured , as there all a lot of money

and bikes under £250 are under house and contents on my insurance ( i have unlimited so i dont no how that works )

so my bikes are a lot more then £250 so if my bike did get nicked would only get £250

but as i have taken out bike insurance i get all the money i have payed for the bike :)

Mine are covered on the house insurance, puts my premium up massively as I have 3 bikes all worth over 1200 quid each - the policy covers bikes up to 1500 per bike. I have had 4 bikes stolen in the past, fortunately 3 of them I could claim on my parents contents insurance (as they were taken from there), the 4th was from my car and uninsured. Now my bikes only ever get left in my house which is always locked up, I will never leave them unattended to lend them to anyone I dont know or trust implicitly. Ask your parents to enquire as to adding the bike onto the contents as a high value item, most policies wont cover more than 500 quid or something rediculous like that unless you specify and pay the increased premium.

To be honest Im thinking of cancelling the seperate bike cover as its costing something silly like 20 quid a month extra on my contents, admittedly they are covered for most eventuallities though. I costed up proper bike specific insurance and it worked out to be 10% of the value of the bike per year, worked out to be about 450 quid for the 3 bikes at the time and was fairly limited cover wise.

Edited by forteh

• 8 months later...

Exactly, if my bike ever gets nicked I'll kick my shed door in and claim on the home and contents!

You should look at your home and contents policy depending on how much your bike costs some policies already insure bikes up to £500(like mine)this include when chained to an imovable object away from the home for up to 28 days...but i am going to insure my bike as it cost me £800 and £500 simply won't cover it :/

i added mine to my home insurance and it didnt actually put it up quite as much as i thought, it is also covered if i am out on a ride and get jumped and the bike stolen. I thought this was hard to believe but i asked him three times if this was the case and all three times he said it was covered, it is also covered for crashes which means if i snap the frame its all covered, really strange again i thought but apparently all true

i added mine to my home insurance and it didnt actually put it up quite as much as i thought, it is also covered if i am out on a ride and get jumped and the bike stolen. I thought this was hard to believe but i asked him three times if this was the case and all three times he said it was covered, it is also covered for crashes which means if i snap the frame its all covered, really strange again i thought but apparently all true

Who does your home insurance Rob, I want in!!

I did actually ring my insurer up after this thread was originally written and they said the bike was covered for theft as long as it was kept locked in a shed within 100m from my home, all I need to do is keep track of the frame number and preferably some recent pictures of the current build and receipts for all parts fitted. I know for a fact they'd try and knock off as much money as humanly possible but it's good to know I'd get something back, especially as the shed isn't much of a match for a big bad wolf!

threelittlepigs3.jpg

Yeah mine's like that, any single bike covered up to 4k, I have the premium/gold top notch job insurance with Marks and Spencers.