Coust'sinks Pads

Canardweb

Hello, sorry for this new brake pad topic.

Well, I have just received my Coust'Sinks pads from http://www.heatsinkbikes.com. So I put them on my brake (4 finger lever bled with water, and Echo TR booster), ground my rear Try-Hole rim with a sharp medium grind, and set my pads perfectly straight to the rim, thanks to Try-All CNC brake clamps and to perfectly square brake mounts (made with the TNN Advanced brake setting video).

Now my pads are perfectly square to the rim, touching at the same time the rim, my brake lever feel is solid as hell.

The only problem I get is that my pads just don't honk at all. I have ridden my bike for about half an hour in front of my house. If I get to rear wheel it makes a poor squeaky sound. But if I feather the brake while rolling pretty fast, then it honks.

Is this normal? Because I have always used standard original Coust! pads from Michel Coustellier, and they were honking straight from the beginning! Are the pads not bedded in yet?

Please help. Thanks.

Ive just put exactly the same pads on my bike and its the loudest, most annoying brake ever now. Wanna swap bikes?

Well then, I don't know what it is... Have you been riding these bad boys a lot before they have been noisy? Or have they been noisy straight away?

My bike is nice thanks, I'll keep it.

i think people get used to a loud brake and the associate a good working brake with a loud one. If your pads are quiet and work well you'll get used to it. Its just having faith in a quiet brake really.

If your unlucky then they just havent bed in yet

Well it sounds like you have a perfect set-up mate, but give it 2 days of riding, probably less than 2 days actualy so they can bed it properly, i think aluminium backings take longer to bed in.

Hope i helped :)

EDIT: Yeah the grind also needs bed in ;)

Edited by modifiedridah2k9

Well it sounds like you have a perfect set-up mate, but give it 2 days of riding, probably less than 2 days actualy so they can bed it properly, i think aluminium backings take longer to bed in.

Hope i helped :)

EDIT: Yeah the grind also needs bed in ;)

Hahaha! Okay thanks. But I don't think my pads will bed in without me touching my bike. You know, I have a job, I can't ride every day...

No worries mate! ;)

Heres my set up:

102_0033.jpg

102_0032.jpg

Splitter is precision crafted by super on here, would have liked smaller hose fittings but hey. Magura mounts have been filed down slightly, just need to cut the top bolts down to size but it performs so well now I dont wanna touch it. The black on the rim is paint that hasn't been ground off :)

Heres my set up:

102_0033.jpg

102_0032.jpg

Splitter is precision crafted by super on here, would have liked smaller hose fittings but hey. Magura mounts have been filed down slightly, just need to cut the top bolts down to size but it performs so well now I dont wanna touch it. The black on the rim is paint that hasn't been ground off :)

Thanks very much for that.

Also, I have had quite a few problems with my set-up. If it's too rigid, can it stop my brake honking?

When i had mine they took a couple of rides before makeing a loud squeek, but they were holding well streight away despite no squeek. Am not a coust's fan as i like a bitey pad more then a good hold pad. To me the coust's are a good hold pad with not the best bite.

They need a good 1-2 weeks worth of riding to bed in good and proper, and honk like fog horns. Steve@Heatsink usually rubs of the smooth shiny surface off the pads to bed in quicker. Patience is a coust'sink's virtue :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot Rusevelt!

I found that for some reason grinding your rim can make a brake silent-ish. It's something to do with the grind itself, I'm no good at it.

Another piece of advice would be to clean the pads and rim by dragging it on a wet rim and then washing the dirt off before the rim or pads dry out. Do it a few times and then drag the brake until it's dry. You should get a loud brake with loads of bite.

I found that for some reason grinding your rim can make a brake silent-ish. It's something to do with the grind itself, I'm no good at it.

Another piece of advice would be to clean the pads and rim by dragging it on a wet rim and then washing the dirt off before the rim or pads dry out. Do it a few times and then drag the brake until it's dry. You should get a loud brake with loads of bite.

i tried this before and it just wore the grind out massively. not worth doing if he said he has a try-all rim

Well, no worries anyone.

I tried washing my pads with water, then aceton, then I tried to file the pads a bit, then used a grinder to file them more, then tried to wash my rim and make the grind wear out a bit...

All I could get from these pads was a huge scary slippy squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak. Nothing like a honk or a biting brake...

So I am back to real Coust pads with plastic backings, They are just simply the best...