Too Old?

Dangle_kt

Hi everyone,

Just registered.

Bit of background on me first then I'll hit you with my first of many questions - but dont worry it isn't "is this a good bike...." :lol:

So I'm 27, not hugely fit, got a passion for motorbikes, and was thinking of getting a beta rev3 or similar, but then I'd have no where to ride it except cowm quarry which is hours away. Then stumbuled over some crazy seatless bicyles which are also called trials bikes.... so read a bit and figured I could have a laugh on it, and the worst that could happen is I could get some skills which would come in handy if I ever got a trials bike with an engine!

BUT

I'm 27. Its all well and good being a 12 year old falling off all over the show, its kind of acceptable...but I'm going to look a pleb arn't I?

I used to be really into MTB (mostly single track) years ago, and found that wobbly track stands were about my limit as far as tricks went.

So questions

1) anyone else a late learner?

2) what are good locations to learn?

3) are trials bikes easier to learn tricks on that MTB's? The gearing looks well different, so I'm guessing that makes it alot easier to loft the front wheel?

Thanks folks - looks like a good forum.

Hey man, I was in kinda the same boat. Started trials riding when I was 24. I never thought about it to be honest, my mates rode trials, so I decided too. Its nearly 2 years on, and I'm nearly 26 now, and I never looked back. Trials is now my life, lol!! Do wish I'd started earleir, only because by now I would be amazingly good, heh!

Hey man, I was in kinda the same boat. Started trials riding when I was 24. I never thought about it to be honest, my mates rode trials, so I decided too. Its nearly 2 years on, and I'm nearly 26 now, and I never looked back. Trials is now my life, lol!! Do wish I'd started earleir, only because by now I would be amazingly good, heh!

yeah thats cool.

I got no bugger to ride with though... bit weird a 27 year old riding over to a load of kids. "hi little boys can I ride with you?" its one step away from, "do want a sweety, well get in my car" :blink::D

how would I go about learning? Is there magazines with guides on stuff, I cant see a "learn to.." section on here.

Thanks

Hey up, youre not too old, I rebuilt your ccm engine and Im still riding trials at 31 ;)

HAHA! Small world!

Hey mate! How are you?

Hope you're good!

Hi,

I''m with these guys. You are never to old.

I have been riding my mountain bike for years, with a little bit of low level trials thrown in. But now at 40 :o I have got my self a little mod to play on. I might find that it takes me a little bit longer to get the moves but I will get there.

What gets me is when someone asks "who's bike is that?", and I answer " Mine", some times they come back with "Who's is it really?" >_<:angry:

Go and enjoy, and sod the rest of them :D

Tim

So questions

1) anyone else a late learner?

2) what are good locations to learn?

3) are trials bikes easier to learn tricks on that MTB's? The gearing looks well different, so I'm guessing that makes it alot easier to loft the front wheel?

Thanks folks - looks like a good forum.

If you dont want people looking at you weird with 14 year olds, just get an mp3 player, some hardcore music and watch some instructional vidios and try to get some rides together near your hometown in the Rides forum. If you do this you will be just as good as anyone (If you practice). Heres a good website www.trashzen.com.

Oh and by the way, as long as you havent developed arthritis or have a broken boke, you can ride a trials bike. :P

Edited by Kenny--Trials

Hey!!!

Alright Ding Dangle.

Its Jordan M off PBC and FF :D

Ive just got into the sport :)

hey Jordan.

Thanks for all the good replies everyone, a bit of back yard riding sounds like a good idea till I am able to get a level of skill!

Just got to get a bike and get all the kids toys out the back garden.... :P

Work on your balance and control, these are the most important things in trials; once sorted you can start adding power and you will progress very quickly :)

To be honest Ive not ridden nearly enough this winter due to injury and Im suffering because of it now, my balance is all over and Im just not relaxed enough on the bike to concentrate my effort into what Im doing :(

Pick up a few blue europallets and practise hopping from one to the other, then turn them over and practise hopping between the slats, really its the fundementals you need to get sorted before moving onto bigger stuff.

hey Jordan.

Thanks for all the good replies everyone, a bit of back yard riding sounds like a good idea till I am able to get a level of skill!

Just got to get a bike and get all the kids toys out the back garden.... :P

Theres the odd local meet up so im told. Which i will be attending. :)

I have a couple of 'mates' who are quality at trials riding. So i can go out with them, And pick up on the basics etc. And in general copy what they do.(Try and Find some local riders to do the same ;))

And eventually turn out to be the English Macskill (Haha) :P

thanks everyone, really useful replies.

And just so you all know, it is not because I don't feel physically capable of getting in shape, or getting some abilities/skill, its more feeling a bit daft - but the more vids I watch the more I am convinced I could learn the basics in the back garden!

Thanks everyone.

Now for my next post - "what is a good bik...." only kidding :lol:

thanks everyone, really useful replies.

And just so you all know, it is not because I don't feel physically capable of getting in shape, or getting some abilities/skill, its more feeling a bit daft - but the more vids I watch the more I am convinced I could learn the basics in the back garden!

Thanks everyone.

Now for my next post - "what is a good bik...." only kidding :lol:

Hmm so good bikes you say? how about a Asda price BMX? :)