Hope Pro 2 ...do I ? Dont I?

peggysue

just want to know peoples opinions on these hubs ... i used to have a habit of breaking hope hubs at least once a month, and want to know how much they've improved with this version ...

its mainly the rachet and pawls snapping that worries me being a heavy guy

just want to know peoples opinions on these hubs ... i used to have a habit of breaking hope hubs at least once a month, and want to know how much they've improved with this version ...

its mainly the rachet and pawls snapping that worries me being a heavy guy

get one. sick hubs

The hubs have been updated this year, so they come with proper sized bolts so you can use an 8mm allen key in them without rounding off.

The bearing under the casette body near the springs and pawls has now been changed to a needle roller bearing, because the old ones were known to collapse, and the NRB can withstand alot more abuse.

I think the springs have been heat treated to help prevent them from snapping, not 100%, but im pretty sure .

Really good hubs, be patient to allow them to bed, you might get a couple of skips, after a few rides there pukka!

Dead easy to service too.

p4pb5153333.jpg

HOPE this helps :)

Regards

Tom

But what about the crappy pick up?

That doesn't matter because people are retards and will buy it because it says hope on it. Chris Kings are a million times better than hopes and Echo SL freewheels are better again. People will still buy Hope's and Eno's though because you and will replace virtually every part on them.

Kyle has been through 7 Hope Pro2 hubs and counting now...

They are NOT the best cassette hubs. However they are by far the best value.

I think paying £340 for one King hub that works is better than paying £910 for 7 pro 2's that break, It's also a hell of a lot more convenient. I'm just crazy like that though.

Oh yea because Kings are 100% reliable? :blink: Everyone always said you can get a good one or a bad one! And costs 2.5X the price of a pro2, also Hope are a UK company and offer unrivaled service, and if a hub gets broken they will normally do all they can to fix it free of charge for you, unlike kings where you have to contact, aiespire (sp?) tech, and get the parts shipped over from the US for stupidly high prices?

Even if money wasn't an issue, I'd probably still get the pro2, because of the customer service and the ease of getting and replacing parts.

But what about the crappy pick up?

I went from FFW with an SL to a Pro 2 T and didn't really notice it at all. There are some situations where you do, but you get used to it really quickly and it's just not a problem. With my gear ratio, it gives about 65 clicks at the pedals - quite a lot of people happily run various 72-click freewheels and don't have a problem, so it's in a similar ballpark to them (Bearing in mind that the chances of you hitting each engagement point right at the start of the ratchet when you pedal are incredibly slim, so most of the time it'd be less than the maximum distance anyway...).

unlike kings where you have to contact, aiespire (sp?) tech, and get the parts shipped over from the US for stupidly high prices?

Some shops ((A)) stock a fair range of King spares, or can get it in for less than the price of Aspire's stuff for the most part. I was tempted by a King, but the price of it did sorta put me off a bit, and Hope's customer care kinda clinched it for me too. It's nice knowing that for the most part, if anything goes wrong with my Pro 2 I can just send it to Hope and they'll sort it out for me (unless it's something I can just sort out using the spares we've got here, obviously), and it'll almost always be cheaper again to replace than the comparative King parts would be. The prices of replacement King bearings are pretty frightening :P

So I take it hope's customer service is still top ? They got a hub back from me At least once a month , but they just fixed it or replaced it for free , which is great ... However the hassle of building and stripping wheels all the time was annoying , I'm just hoping the hubs are alot stronger than they used to be , and if I break it within a month I won't be happy !

Im pretty sure it's not the newest one that my mates offered me ( with the needle roller bearings) but I'm going to find out soon ....

Not having the new needle bearings doesn't mean it's the older, weaker hub though - they changed the shell between the old bearings and new bearings being switched round, if that makes sense? They updated the shells, then updated the bolts and driver bearing.

Kyle has been through 7 Hope Pro2 hubs and counting now...

They are NOT the best cassette hubs. However they are by far the best value.

i have the weaker one. got it in 06. been fine for years. replaced the bearings about 2 weeks ago as i had destroyed them. didnt skip or anything until the ball bearings made their way into the rachet. all cleaned out now and still a f**king brilliant hub

i have the weaker one. got it in 06. been fine for years. replaced the bearings about 2 weeks ago as i had destroyed them. didnt skip or anything until the ball bearings made their way into the rachet. all cleaned out now and still a f**king brilliant hub

Lucky you :P

gotta hope it works. i like mine, the one i had previously is one of the first "re-designed" ones (with the reinforcement bit) and wiggy is rocking it on his pikey bike no problems. get one :)

I had a King which the driveshell died on. It was only a tad bit more expensive to get a brand new ProII than a new driveshell, so I did that.

Never looked back.

Never noticed a lack of engagements - just felt the same.

Sounded less horrible - bonus.

Super duper warranty - excellent.

It was one of the older ones, so the driveshell cracked. Sent it off to Hope, they rang me up when they got it saying they haven't got any in the same colour, will a different one be Ok? Gave me any choice of colours, and were absolutely fine with giving me a 32 hole shell when I originally had a 36. Got it back within three days.

All fixed up for the price of postage, without a need for receipt or anything. Far better than replacing bits on Kings... That's a hideously expensive game.

I'd say do it. You'll not regret it.

Get a Pro II Trials if you can. Bit beefier.

Edit: Never even skipped, either. Before sending off or after.

Edited by aener

Has hope done anything about the ratchet rings stripping?

That was my main concern with them, but still think they're the best value cassette hub out there. THE best if you get a bad King ;)

tis a good question. However Having only run ProIIs since they were released (think I had one of the first TartyBikes ever sold), Ive only managed to snap a couple of springs and an axle. The ratchet on my original 06 (?) hub stripped this year after a year or so of brakeless trials (which I cant think is good for it!!) and the rest of the time as my main trials bike rear wheel, even the bearings in that original hub are perfect. So I dont personally worry about it!!

any time Ive had a problem (not many) Ive sent it back to hope or just got the cheap spares from TB and its been a cheap/free and easy fix.

cant recommend them more. Solid, and much cheaper than a King to buy and service/repair. Oh and FFWs naff thread design just puts me off.

Fisrst time mine went i was at the top of a 3 set and when you are static and kinda lift the whole bike forward (like a wheelswap/wheel switch just horizontal not vertical) to land in a manual on the steps. Thought my tyre had slipped on some wetness/moss/bird shit. The ratchet then makes a horrible scraping/threading noise if you continue to turn the crank.

Second time was setting up for a sidehop off a pointy rock, same thing happens.

Seems to be pretty catastrophic, can't see it stripping then sorta being 'ok' after.

Ratchet ring teeth also seem to chip now and again, meaning the pawls/springs get stuck and kinda stick in place.

Freehub bearings going is the most common cause of odd noises/slight skipping/general strangeness, so I'd check them if you've not already (Y)