Wd40 On Lazy Pistons?

Greetings

As the title says, can one use WD40 on lazy Magura slaves? Mine seem to be ok when it's cool but as soon as a hot day comes they seize.

Any other ideas? I'm running water.

I wouldn't use WD40 its not a lubricant as such.

Use some 3in1 oil or chain lubricant of some sort.

Pump the pistons out press one to make the other come out further oil it do the same to the other side, then repeatedly pump them.

GT-85 did it for me. Seems to do a pretty good job, although no doubt someone's going to pipe up with some mental concoction they brew to try and get their Maguras to work better :rolleyes:

Oh, and before the inevitable "that's because you bleed with water" gig, it happened to me with mineral oil and I used GT-85 to remedy it then.

I'd go WD40/GT 85/ whatever else over 3 in 1 as 3 in 1 has a tendency to stick everything together on part like pistons.

Yeah that's what I thought. I used to use silicone grease but found that it accumulates vast amounts of dirt hence, ironically, limiting the movement of pistons.

Been using water on mine for a good 3 years now. Their performance over the years has degraded significantly compared to new oil bled HS33's which came in the post the other day.

edit: is GT85 any different to WD40?

Edited by Greetings

GT85 is... ...something-based. I want to say silicone, but I'm not sure itf that's right.

As I understand it - WD40 lubricates, then evaporates/moves aside, whereas GT85 lubricates and forms a sort of layer on top that keeps it lubricated.

Like cartilage :lol:

GT85 is... ...something-based. I want to say silicone, but I'm not sure itf that's right.

As I understand it - WD40 lubricates, then evaporates/moves aside, whereas GT85 lubricates and forms a sort of layer on top that keeps it lubricated.

Like cartilage laugh.gif

WD40

The long term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture. This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus get into crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then itself diffuses away.

These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, extricating stuck screws and bolts, and preventing rust are common usages. The product also may be useful in removing moisture.

GT85

GT85 is a strong penetrating oil and will free rusted bolts, hinges, door and window gear.

GT85 can be used in car maintenance and finishing. GT85 protects and lubricates and starts damp engines. It will protect paintwork, woodwork, vinyl, plastic and chrome.

GT85 will ease cycle transmissions, bearings, hubs, brakes and cables and after the action, spray on after cleaning down for total protection, avoid your brakes of course!

As found on the tinterweb!

I wouldnt touch anything on my bike with wd40 if it actually needed lubricating, gt85 is generally much better. I would personally use normal oil (engine oil will do), but only the very smallest amount dropped onto the seals with the pistons extracted, alittle oil goes a long way - Im literally talking about dipping an unfolded paperclip in some oil and using it to wipe around the seals :)

That said Ive not had any lazy piston problems in the last year since using my emulsion fluid (OBM :P ) which is great seeing as my 12 year old maggie slaves no longer like water on their own and get lazy within a few days.

IMO for freeing sticky pistons, GT85 is more useful as a cleaner than a lubricant. Spraying with GT85 while pumping the lever helps work the dirt out of the seal where it can be wiped away. Obviously the PTFE helps things slide though...