Research For New Trials Park

wtp

Hello All,

I have started the ball rolling for a new trials park located in Swadlincote,Derbys Just off the main A511 Burton on Trent to Ashby de la zouch road, which joins the M42 about 2 miles away. The land is approx 10 acres total having about 6 usable for trials the site is a disused railway embankment and cutting and having done trials myself and taking advice from other riders it would be a good all round ability site.

I now own the land and need to start the feasibility study to see if it financially will pan out, as I am sure you are all aware of the hurdles needed to complete this type of project.

If possible I would like to know how many riders there are in this catchment area that would use such a park for practise, what sort of fee is acceptable.

Has anybody recently undertaken a similar venture elsewhere in the UK that could advise me?

Has anybody received help from a local council or official organisation EG: ACU or AMCA etc?

This project is a personal venture and not my full time occupation, I have a love of the sport having ridden MX for the last 27 years, also doing enduro, mountain biking and recently Trials, wish I had started earlier with the trials.

An exact location will not be given as I do not want the land to be used unlawfully, I will not have time to answer the when, how or if questions as it’s in very early stages and I really need constructive help.

Thanks for reading,

Mark.

• Like 1

Im only just down the road in Lichfield and although I would probably visit to ride occasionally I dont think it would be constant thing as I dont compete or train, also have so little time to ride now Im the wrong side of 30 :D There are a good number of riders in the area and I reckon it could prove quite popular.

I dont know how well charging a fee for entry would work, would it be an enclosed area much like a skatepark where you pay on entry or be on a more informal basis of perhaps having a rider permit and random checks during the day (assuming its not going to be manned full time. If it is manned full time, guessing a small refreshments shed wouldnt go down too badly and could add income if done right. Im also not sure how public liability would be handled, if its done for a financial gain and keeping it above board then I guess you would need some form of insurance. Might be worth asking how lee mill quarry is run although I think that is council owned and operated.

Obviously the cost of building and maintaining any equipment could be quite high (fortunately trials riders can generally use anything), thinking specifically of the sabadell park where there is alot of concrete and wood. Costs would need to be covered somehow. It might be possible to enquire with a local council about financial help/grants for the building and upkeep.

You stated that 6 of the 10 acres would be dedicated to trials, assuming the rest would be usuable for cycling in general could bring in more people. I could be wrong but I think 6 acres of trials park could be a bit big unless the spots are really spaced out (but then you have wasted space) and you could perhaps look into other cycling disciplines (pumptrack, trails, 4x etc etc).

Sounds interesting though :)

Edited by forteh

Hey man, sounds awesome what you're doing.

Unfourtunatley i'm way outdide the catchment area for such a scheme, but iv given you a validation vote.

The sooner this gets into the full forum, the more help and advise you'll get. (once out, many full members rarely stray back into NMC)

Hope it all goes well

Josh

I'm at the other end of Derbyshire but would make the odd trip down I reckon as some of my wifes family live in Ashby.

To be honest, if your really after some advice on getting started up and what you would be needing you'd probably be best talking to the guys who run Essex Trials and Jump Centre at Barrow Farm down south, their website is here, worth giving them a ring or dropping an email for a bit of a heads up as it's basically the same kind of setup your planning. They only use 3 acres as well so I think you've probably got good potential for more than just trials sections, if you get hooked up with one of the trials clubs it could also become a venue for comps and stuff.

Edited by isitafox

I'm at the other end of Derbyshire but would make the odd trip down I reckon as some of my wifes family live in Ashby.

To be honest, if your really after some advice on getting started up and what you would be needing you'd probably be best talking to the guys who run Essex Trials and Jump Centre at Barrow Farm down south, their website is here, worth giving them a ring or dropping an email for a bit of a heads up as it's basically the same kind of setup your planning. They only use 3 acres as well so I think you've probably got good potential for more than just trials sections, if you get hooked up with one of the trials clubs it could also become a venue for comps and stuff.

Thanks, usefull link...like them im in it for the sport not the money. so a non profit making venue sounds best and should receive more help.

Edited by wtp

Thanks, usefull link...like them im in it for the sport not the money. so a non profit making venue sounds best and should receive more help.

Yep, may also qualify for a grant from the council if you play it right.

Hope they put you in the right direction as I've wanted to go to that one at Barrow Farm but it's a bit of a trek from Buxton whereas if yours got the go ahead I could easily justify at least a couple of days a month, bet the local boys would be there quite often.

No worries.

Least im trying to help. Instead of being sarcastic and Negative.

:P

LOLZ

It would almost certainly not be profitable.

Insurance will be £1000+

Do you own the land outright?

You may have a chance of profit in that case, as long as the purchase of the land was not included in the business.

If you do include the purchase of the land you will be running at a loss for a good few years, which may be no bad thing if you get me.

You can probably charge about £10 a day.

If you go for grants do not spend a penny till you have the grant because they will not take that into consideration when deciding how much to grant you, they may match your investment.

Mate that sounds awsome, theres not too many places to ride in Melbourne and i would deffinatly come down, although im not that experienced so try to make sure you have got stuff for all riders,

it would be worth making people pay a couple of quid for a days visit, but i would definatly go.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I have started the ball rolling for a new trials park located in Swadlincote,Derbys Just off the main A511 Burton on Trent to Ashby de la zouch road, which joins the M42 about 2 miles away. The land is approx 10 acres total having about 6 usable for trials the site is a disused railway embankment and cutting and having done trials myself and taking advice from other riders it would be a good all round ability site.

I now own the land and need to start the feasibility study to see if it financially will pan out, as I am sure you are all aware of the hurdles needed to complete this type of project.

If possible I would like to know how many riders there are in this catchment area that would use such a park for practise, what sort of fee is acceptable.

Has anybody recently undertaken a similar venture elsewhere in the UK that could advise me?

Has anybody received help from a local council or official organisation EG: ACU or AMCA etc?

This project is a personal venture and not my full time occupation, I have a love of the sport having ridden MX for the last 27 years, also doing enduro, mountain biking and recently Trials, wish I had started earlier with the trials.

An exact location will not be given as I do not want the land to be used unlawfully, I will not have time to answer the when, how or if questions as it’s in very early stages and I really need constructive help.

Thanks for reading,

Mark.

I would use it certainly, it's much closer to me than a lot of other places and would be well worth the trip if done right. I don't know much about the liability issues however a very similar thing was made by a chap called mike up at barrow farm. He made a trials course and dirt jump ring and the place is absolutely fantastic and has been used for competitons recently. He's also a really nice guy so i'm sure he'd be able to help you out with the technicalities.

I think Ali C had a large part in the building of the traisl course at lee quarry in bacup so he might be another one to get in touch with.

A space for camping is a good idea, as a lot of people like to make a weekend of it and who doesn't like sitting around a campfire with their mates?

The course designs should be a last priority in terms of organising though, sorting the land is the biggy, then once the liability is in place a course will pretty much make itself once you get the things there.

If you would like a hand with building the thing I'd be happy to help, as i'm sure many others on here would as well.

I would 100% use this park at every chance i got. I live roughly about 20 miles away and think its a great idea, me and a few of my friends have dreamed of a trials parking and making one for a while, thinking it would be amazing. Its a fantastic idea.

I think that this is an amazing idea.

I live near james so im also 20 -miles-ish away and would happily use your place (if good) at every opportunity i get!

I think that you could charge about £5-£10 a day!

Just remember to include things for all levels of riders.

Lastly, I hope this goes well for you, as i have been wanting to go barrow farm, but thats hours awway and cant get there.

Tom

I would also be interested in this! I am based in coventry so if youneeded a hand with things i would be more than happy to come up and lend a hand!

I do not know much about insureance or anything, but have a reasonable idea about sourcing objects etc as I have build a course on my own farm at home. Tyre recyclers are a good place to start for the large quarry tyres, if they don't have any they will usualy be able to give you somewhere that will have them, they are usualy free or cost VERY little. Concrete object manufacturers are also a good place to source stuff, as they will ALWAYS have stuff that is not good enough for them to send out, the one I delt with just let the council take it, but I was able to have whatever I wanted too as they just wanted it out of the yard. Pallets and things are generaly pretty easy to source, I actualy found a massive yard near me in cov that is a couple of acres full of pallets! Obviously for other random objects scrap yards etc are a good place to look, not sure how you would go about getting hold of skips, but I am sure it is possible. And of course logs should be pretty easy to get hold of!

Gimme a shout if you need a hand.

Adam

• 4 months later...