Buy Full Bike Or Custom Build?

Trials-mad-Josh

Hellooo Trials-Forum, I'm looking to get back into riding and just wondering where I should start.

I have a bunch of stuff from riding that might be a starting point?

DMR ex-alt frame, Manitou Black forks, Hope XC hub with Mavic D521 rim, Avid juicy5 rear disc brake, try-all bars, ac cobra crankset

There might be some other stuff lying about, so do you guys think I should buy a frame and build it from there? Maybe use old rear wheel and bars etc or buy a second hand full bike?

Cheers!

Josh

Hellooo Trials-Forum, I'm looking to get back into riding and just wondering where I should start.

I have a bunch of stuff from riding that might be a starting point?

DMR ex-alt frame, Manitou Black forks, Hope XC hub with Mavic D521 rim, Avid juicy5 rear disc brake, try-all bars, ac cobra crankset

There might be some other stuff lying about, so do you guys think I should buy a frame and build it from there? Maybe use old rear wheel and bars etc or buy a second hand full bike?

Cheers!

Josh

I'd just buy a frame and use what you've got to build it up. Things like the hope hubs could even be used on new builds with some trials specific rims, if not those wheelbuilds would easily sell on ebay for money towards new parts!

I would honestly go for a full build second hand bike if I where in your position and could afford it.

For around £400 you can pick up what is the equivalent of over £1000 from a shop AND it will likely be set up with modern parts which you might not be aware of.

If you try to build one out of parts that are lying around you're inevitably going to end up with something less than purpose built

I would honestly go for a full build second hand bike if I where in your position and could afford it.

For around £400 you can pick up what is the equivalent of over £1000 from a shop AND it will likely be set up with modern parts which you might not be aware of.

If you try to build one out of parts that are lying around you're inevitably going to end up with something less than purpose built

£400 is a good price. I see what you mean about it possibly not being pure trials but I thought the rear wheel was alright, Hope XC hubs were the next best thing to Chris Kings back in the day haha, I don't know about now.

Cheers, going to have a look at the for sale section.

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

I second this. Much better value for money :)

Obviously I'm going to hold this opinion, but you've got to bear in mind that - especially looking at the disputes section and the other threads about that sort of stuff - there's effectively a lot of stuff that can go wrong on a bike, and also as part of the deal itself. Having a warranty and after sales care from a shop gives you a lot of peace of mind. If you spend £400 on a bike and the frame, forks or anything like that break within a couple of weeks or months you're going to be paying for that replacement part out of your pocket. I've bought a full bike from someone on here in the past and I had to spend at least the price I paid for the bike on replacing bits that were worn out or broken that I didn't initially know about when the sale happened.

If you can find a good deal then it'd obviously make sense to go for it, but full builds can be good value for money.