Echo Tr Pads

mods

Thats what actually happened for those interested.

08062010039.jpg

They blatantly weren't set up pretty good, the pad has worn away partially missing the side of the rim!

So he tried them at the top of the hill as he went down, they didn't work, so he squeezed them harder as he's going down the hill and they still don't work and then he switched to just the back brake.

Applied force + Surface Area + Motion = Friction.

Friction gives heat as a by product. More heat = melted pads. And he's just said he squeezed hard as he's going down a hill.

I think we need pictures of the rider, the bike, the hill, the weather conditions and a video of the brake application method used in the incident :P.

I'm not trying to be awkward or funny but given that you say the brake was set up well, and it clearly wasn't, i'm somewhat sceptical that everything else happened exactly as you say. I mean first it was he rode down the road and pulled the brake and this happened. Then there was a hill involved but no braking took place. Now he went down the hill and pulled the brake hard for a while which didn't stop him.

The pads look as though they were only partially hitting the rim and a smaller surface area heats up faster than a larger one. He was going at speed down a hill. He applied a reasonable amount of force to the brake in order to try stopping him. This didn't work and he continued travelling down the hill with the brake applied before using the back one on it's own.

You guys are effectively telling us he's taken a soft pad and dragged it down a hill while it's not set up properly. Why are you surprised at what's happened? Fair enough, it could have been a dodgy set of pads. But from what i can see and purely from what you guys are saying i'm not entirely surprised. I once killed a set of tensile bubblegums in about 50 yards of flat pavement when i dragged my brake to try and bed them in. Didn't realise my grind was sharp enough to wear koxx browns at the same speed when i swapped them over. It's not the pads fault, i just misjudged something.

The answer to this problem is; set up your brake correctly, buy some new pads and walk down hills if all you have is rim brakes.

He tried them at the top of the hill static and they just stuck to the rim. As he went down the hill at the top the pads didnt even work.

Agreed pad height on the rim was not good but thats the best he can get with his mounts at the moment.

They were perfectly parallel though.

I know people are trying to come up with an excuse for why this happened. If you were there you would have seen and been just as shocked as we were.

Looking at the pads again tonight. I can bed my fingernail right into them is that right ? I think not.

Anyway, as for a solution, he has bought new forks and a disk.

This thread was merely to show you what happened to the pads and not to slate them in anyway, im sure they are very good and he has just been unfortunate. Or maybe krisboats is right and they are not subject to any friction.

Hi mates. I had a bad experience like that NOT with Tr pads, but with Coustellier's on the front and a grinded Trialtech rim. I guess I was silly then, because I went down a road, a long road. When I stopped at the end, I had around 1/3 compound in my shoes, similar to the "pieces" you have on your rim. Since then, the brake started to work really bad, and of course the pads were as worn as yours. I had to replace them.

I think the problem is you went down a hill, I also thought Coustellier's were a sh*t then, but it's a front rim brake, and that's one of its characteristics ;)

Edited by Zoo!Man

Or maybe krisboats is right and they are not subject to any friction.

It's not that they weren't subject to it, completely the opposite in fact. They'd have been exposed to high pressure under a small surface area with a long duration of application with the force of acceleration from the slope adding to the speed as well.

It's not that they weren't subject to it, completely the opposite in fact. They'd have been exposed to high pressure under a small surface area with a long duration of application with the force of acceleration from the slope adding to the speed as well.

Sorry i meant they cannot take the frictional force at all well, like you said

Edited by mods

08062010039.jpg

They blatantly weren't set up pretty good, the pad has worn away partially missing the side of the rim!

So he tried them at the top of the ......

This all seems right to me, to add though, once the pad gets heated up (they would have been very hot for them to melt) the properties will change and then the wear rate of the pads at those temperatures will increase significantly as you know from having half a pad left.

However I think it'll probably more down to the pad / rim combo. I've heard that pads will be much grippier on a painted surface possibly creating more heat to the point of them melting.