Continental Trials Specific Range.

Mark W

The only way you can really make it lighter is to make the carcass thinner, which would effectively end up with this tyre anyway (although with a slightly different looking tread).

I guess, smaller tire means less material, so lighter tire...

Morover in my opinion it is not necessary to have a tire that big...it does not give any sort of improvement.

It is just heavier (as above, 'i guess') , and hard to fit in a lot of frames. Rubber queen 2.4 was yet too big.

I assume if they want to sell a lot of these they have to make it compatible with most of the frames.

What rubber queen 2.2 does, or now try-all light.does.

But they are the professionals, so i assume they know what they do...

Moreover the front tire seems quite heavy when the actual mountain king or even speedking do the job.

They could have just improve the compound of one of this tires, without putting any apex inside.

Thus a pair of trial king/queen is heavier ( a little bit) than a pair of try-all....

It depends what riding you're doing, and what sort of terrain you ride. If you're riding more challenging, off camber type of objects then a wider tyre can help.

The inserts and compound on the front wheel are created to try and slow down the rebound of the front tyre and make it more stable than other lighter tyres. I've heard Stan and Ali mention before that with certain super light tyres they just get bounced off rocks and so on, so the aim of these tyres is to try and 'calm' them down, almost. It also provides a bit more pinch protection if you're going to more jagged rocks and so on.

The grip is also on a different level to the Try-All tyres. The difference in durometer should show that, but the feel of them is massively different. Gav packed a pair of Try-All Lite tyres today and they just feel incredibly stiff and non-malleable compared to the Continentals.

OK cool, are you in contact with the guys at Korbach so you can give rider feedback on these tyres? We could have the perfect rear tyre someday :)

I believe Stan and Adam are - Stan's currently got a different front tyre on from Conti that's another hybrid prototyp sorta thing, so I'd imagine so...

How does the width and volume of the 2.2 Trials Queen compare to the 2.4 Rubber Queen?

large_queen24size.jpg

That's the RQ.

The rim we usually use is the DX32 rim, then we just add X to the width and Y to the height to work out how it would be on a 47mm rim. On the DX-32, it worked out as being nearer 58mm wide and 54mm tall. I'll go and measure it now and let you know...

If the RQ ended up fitting, I'd imagine this one will too to be honest.

Possibly, it was really mm tight though. Suppose I could grind a couple of mm off the brace as its only a plate, sacrilage to grind a triton frame though :D

This tyre's worth. Rode Red Scar rocks with Adam yesterday and it was pretty nuts. Definite upgrade over the Rubber Queen (and every tyre that isn't a Der Kaiser or Rain King).

When my RQ dies I will definitely look at these, hows the weight compare, are they really 100g lighter than the RQ? :)

Indeedy. Weighed by my own hands on the scales on the desk to my left. They're based on the 2.2" RQ carcass, hence them weighing less. The Apex inserts are poached from the RQ (and lengthened) hence them weighing more than the 2.2" RQ. The grip's insane though. Checked an order for an Echo Supatrial tyre today and the difference in compound was incredible...

Indeedy. Weighed by my own hands on the scales on the desk to my left. They're based on the 2.2" RQ carcass, hence them weighing less. The Apex inserts are poached from the RQ (and lengthened) hence them weighing more than the 2.2" RQ. The grip's insane though. Checked an order for an Echo Supatrial tyre today and the difference in compound was incredible...

Good stuff, the RQ seems grippy enough for me as it is, a little more stability at lower pressures would be nice though or am I better going for a DK or RK?

They would be more stable, but the TQ is still pretty stable. The DK/RK are about 300g or so more than the TQ, so it's whether you want to add that on, really. They're super good tyres but I'd say they aren't really for everyone...

the trial queen has a really soft compound

I've schwalbe's web, and I'm not able to find the hardness of the muddy mary tyre. Is the hardness also known as EPI ? (check the link)

http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/produkte/mtb/produkt/?ID_Einsatzbereich=5&ID_Produktgruppe=42&ID_Produkt=179&ID_Artikel=338&info=1

the trial queen has a really soft compound

I've schwalbe's web, and I'm not able to find the hardness of the muddy mary tyre. Is the hardness also known as EPI ? (check the link)

http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/produkte/mtb/produkt/?ID_Einsatzbereich=5&ID_Produktgruppe=42&ID_Produkt=179&ID_Artikel=338&info=1

Nope,it´s not the hardness of compound ;)

Is the hardness also known as EPI ? (check the link)

Click where it says 'EPI': Ends Per Inch (Threads per Inch): Unit for the density of the carcass fabric. the higher the EPI, the denser ther carcass and so the higher the quality of the tire.

I think we got over 50 tyres in total (that's a mix of TQ and TK tyres), but that isn't the whole first batch. Got no idea how many others there are out there, so as a result have no idea if/when you might be able to get some with the names written on them.