Eccentric Dropouts.

Ross McArthur

Hey,

I was wondering if anybody has ever had any experience in using eccentric dropouts on a trials bike?

I'd like to know, is there any problems with setting them up with the rim brake mounts?

Would I be able to run a QR style hub with it?

Would it massively mess up the geometry of the bike twisting the dropout round at jaunty angles trying to tension the chain?

I know the advantages - no tensioner to bash and no hanger to bend but does anyone know of or think of any cons?

Picture I found.

Any help would be great, ta.

Edited by Ross McArthur

I like them, although they would possibly effect the bb rise depending on how slack/stretched yer chain is.

I would have thought they would mess up disc mounts more than rim brakes, you got a fair amount of leeway in most 4 bolt mounts for positioning.

But I could be talking pifflepoff and hufflepuff.

(PhatMike here again)

Think I'm right in saying I'm the only UK rider to have ran them (for about 18 months in fact).

Short verdict: Excellent

Very easy to adjust, and stiff as anything. You've got loads more sensitive adjustment than other types, including dishing the wheel to centralise it. They're fairly fiddly to take wheels in/out, but it's worth it. :)

(PhatMike here again)

Think I'm right in saying I'm the only UK rider to have ran them (for about 18 months in fact).

Short verdict: Excellent

Very easy to adjust, and stiff as anything. You've got loads more sensitive adjustment than other types, including dishing the wheel to centralise it. They're fairly fiddly to take wheels in/out, but it's worth it. :)

What a guy,

Could I have some pictures of your set up please?...If you have any.

is it me or does that hoffman trials frame look alot like they stole the whole brake cage idea from the lad that made his own trials frame on here, or is that where he got the idea from?

Hoffmann bikes have been around for a very long time, Iit would be more likely that Alex (Who I assume you mean) got his inspiration from them.

Adam

Hoffmann bikes have been around for a very long time, Iit would be more likely that Alex (Who I assume you mean) got his inspiration from them.

Adam

Yep, I used their idea for the brake mount......massive amount better than a traditional setup thats for sure!

It’s on the cards yes.

Marino is now making frames with higher quality chromo tubes (instead of high tensile steel) I took the opportunity of designing a new chromo frame to include eccentric dropouts. He has made a 360 dropout frame before so it shouldn’t be too different to these dropouts Link

As for the cams, i'm working on a design with Le @ TNN. So hopefully it will all come together nicely.

Marino is now making frames with higher quality chromo tubes (instead of high tensile steel) I took the opportunity of designing a new chromo frame to include eccentric dropouts. He has made a 360 dropout frame before so it shouldn't be too different to these dropouts Link

Ross, is that the same idea as what Leeson uses?