Daveys Bike Restoration

davey1991

I thought i'd drag this out as i don't think i ever finished the old thread.

Basically i got this for next to nothing. The paint was awful, i shelled out some money on a nicer saddle.

DSCF0144.jpg

The seat was at a silly angle and everything was mismatched. Thanks to Sam Doman for the lovely exage crankset.

I then began working on the frame and forks, I first removed the front V brake tabs and smoothed the welds on the forks.

I then stripped the paint on the forks and frame.

DSCF0380.jpg

After some primer.

DSCF0385.jpg

I did the same to all the parts.

DSCF0385.jpg

I then painted all the smaller parts in matte black.

DSCF0377.jpg

And the bars British racing green.

DSCF0381.jpg

The frame was then painted in the same colour as the bars

DSCF0388.jpg

I rebuilt it with the tyres she came with, cut the knobbles of the rear and ran it as a slick.

I also kept the orange grips just so i could ride it, this was 6 months ago.

Today i recieved my Red wall tyres and grips to finally finish her off.

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

Poor pictures, the green is lighter and the red is darker, these really don't do it justice.

Now i need to repair some chips on the frame and fill some of the dents from removing the brake tabs, just to give it a subtle smooth look.

It weighs a tonne, and has some minor little niggles but i absoloubtley love it.

For distance riding its perfect for me, i know it isn't going to break down on me.

• 1 month later...

Picture of my bike outside as requested, its getting a bit on the rough side now, its ridden daily 10+ miles and locked outside a college so it gets knocked over alot, may concider getting it powder coated some silly colour.

DSC00078.jpg

I think it still looks the part, could do with shifting some weight but i love it.

Picture of my bike outside as requested, its getting a bit on the rough side now, its ridden daily 10+ miles and locked outside a college so it gets knocked over alot, may concider getting it powder coated some silly colour.

DSC00078.jpg

I think it still looks the part, could do with shifting some weight but i love it.

Looking really good (Y)

I phoned around to get mine powdercoated, but it was more expensive than the whole bike cost me, so couldn't really justify it!

Really really needs that block and spoke protector sorting out! I'm guessing it has the freewheel built into the block? In which case you can either lose most of the sprockets and just leave the one you want on, or replace the lot with a freewheel.

On those blocks all the sprockets slide on, and the smallest sprocket acts as a lockring. just remove the block (usually with a lockring tool), then mount it up on the lockring tool and use a chain whip to remove the smallest lockring sprocket. Then drop off the rest of the sprockets, and screw the lockring sprocket back on!

Done it before, makes it looks slightly neater. :P

Really really needs that block and spoke protector sorting out! I'm guessing it has the freewheel built into the block? In which case you can either lose most of the sprockets and just leave the one you want on, or replace the lot with a freewheel.

On those blocks all the sprockets slide on, and the smallest sprocket acts as a lockring. just remove the block (usually with a lockring tool), then mount it up on the lockring tool and use a chain whip to remove the smallest lockring sprocket. Then drop off the rest of the sprockets, and screw the lockring sprocket back on!

Done it before, makes it looks slightly neater. :P

Yer i have a new rear hub, that wheel is off a halfords machine so it wont be staying long, it weighs as much as the Blackpool tower.

I may also start running gears, but gears are for queers.