New From Trialtech...

Mark W

7 minutes ago, craigjames said:

Have there been many issues with the 20" version of this fork? 

Only the 26'' 4bolt ones and even those didn't crack regularly. It's just Trialtech that did a recall for safety reasons. Other trials companies wouldn't have done so I think.

I've got a disc version of this fork and after 2 years it's still going strong. That's why I got the 4bolt version rather than another carbon fork. The weight penalty isn't an issue for me weighing 90kgs.

Edited by niconj

2 hours ago, niconj said:

Only the 26'' 4bolt ones and even those didn't crack regularly. It's just Trialtech that did a recall for safety reasons. Other trials companies wouldn't have done so I think.

I've got a disc version of this fork and after 2 years it's still going strong. That's why I got the 4bolt version rather than another carbon fork. The weight penalty isn't an issue for me weighing 90kgs.

Quite aware of the 26" issues and the subsequent recall. So you don't actually know if the 20" versions had any problems then?....

• 3 weeks later...

Thought there was a Trialtech lever topic but possibly not... anyway, we just got these in the post to fit to Jack Carthy's bike later on today.  These are sweeeeeeet.  Not quite the finished item (they'll have a couple of minor tweaks before they're released), but very close.

13708246_1206001532756986_84118152756338

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Thought there was a Trialtech lever topic but possibly not... anyway, we just got these in the post to fit to Jack Carthy's bike later on today.  These are sweeeeeeet.  Not quite the finished item (they'll have a couple of minor tweaks before they're released), but very close.

Who's Jack? Send them to me, I'll mount them on my bike. :D Split clamp with reversed bolts would've been nice. I hope that they don't leak but Trialtech usually brings out good stuff, just like Inspired. ;) 

BTW: HOPE will bring theirs out soon as well.

Edited by niconj

Jack's had a set on his bike since we posted up the original photos on our FB page ages ago and they're still sealing perfectly.  Joe Prattley's been running them too, again with no issues.  They've invested a lot of time and money into them, and they've even had to get custom wiper seals made.  Serious business - it's not just some budget clone lever, basically.

For the Hope brakes I'm not so sure about that.  By chance, I happened to have a chat with someone on the phone about them earlier today and it sounds like they're still very much in the R&D phase.

18 hours ago, Mark W said:

For the Hope brakes I'm not so sure about that.  By chance, I happened to have a chat with someone on the phone about them earlier today and it sounds like they're still very much in the R&D phase.

"R&D phase" - so they're admitting that they are looking into making some trials specific products?

TT levers look sweet - if i was still into that kind of thing!

2 hours ago, Davetrials said:

Any ideas of an ETA? I'm done with racing line. And Very close to going Vee brake up front.

Well. I talked to my dealer who went to HOPE's factory last week and he told me that the brake is almost ready to be launched. Just some minor details even though I don't know whether these details are production ones or marketing.

If you mean the Trialtech ones Dave, we're not 100% sure sorry.  They shouldn't be too far off now.  Speaking of a comparison to Racing Line though, Cap got himself a pre-production Sport lever so took his Racing Line lever off it, and I put it next to the Carthy lever to see what it was like.  It's weird to think the Racing Line bodies used to look sleek and minimal, but then you compare them to this...

13510847.jpg

• Like 1

The bushings are fully replaceable - there's just a grub screw and some O-rings holding the pivot in place, and once that's out you can replace the bushings easily.  Carthy has been using the prototype with those IGUS bushings in for a reasonable amount of time now and they're still super smooth with virtually no play.

1 hour ago, Ross McArthur said:

No ones even tried water as a kind of under the radar test for a while?

Will there be an advisory notice with the lever stating that its not meant for water?

Trialtech fluid is water-based, so theoretically water would work fine with it.  As usual we'd recommend running a water/antifreeze mix or TT fluid as they generally seem to help keep everything conditioned a little better, but either way it should be fine with it.

1 hour ago, niconj said:

The most important question though...for how much will they sell. I can imagine them being around the Racing Line levers or even more. :( Probably still gonna get them. :D

Due to them being forged rather than CNC'd, it means the price of making the body itself is way, way cheaper, despite forging arguably being better (similar deal to CNC machined stems vs. forged stems).  I don't think final prices have been nailed down yet, but the Sport lever should be under £50, and the baller spec Carthy lever should be under £100.

19 hours ago, jeff costello said:

thanks @Mark W
the only thing that slightly annoys me about my magura 2014 levers is the occasional stuck piston with water (the swelling thing)

I'm reliably informed that one of the riders testing the brakes used water for a bit before switching to TT fluid.

The pistons are made from an engineering grade plastic specifically chosen because it has significantly lower fluid absorption levels than the normal nylon material use for pistons.

• Like 1