New From Trialtech...

Mark W

That's what you get for asking riders what they're using ;)

Yes no problem though. I spotted the trialtech pads in TNN backings on the complete pictures of his bike but when I watched the videos the brake sound wasn't the same. I thought I should just point that out! The trialtech pads are just some other pads made by Thierry Klinkenberg like the Try-All Croco pads. They are awesome pads but the thing is this compound is just too hard so it eats the grind too fast resulting into a brake that wears out very slowly but which needs regrinding often to have a great sound and great bite. They are also less tolerant to brake movement so they wear out at a weird angle near the ends faster than other pads. I am sure they work well though but I'll just stick with my Heatsink Coustsink pads with chamferred edges as they don't need a grind that often and as they work just great!

Edited by Canardweb
  • Like 1

He is the belgian man who designs the try-all croco pads and the Trialtech sport pads man! He has been working a fairly long time with Koxx along with other engineers. But when Koxx decided to make its study office smaller because they were making less money with other companies appearing, they fired some people like the engineer who designed the Boxx and Thierry who now works alone making pads and training young riders during the Klinkenberg trials camps! I think he has an material degree in elastomer sciences. He also contributed to create the sticky tires working with engineers from Kenda. So he is a fairly important name in the trials industry.

Yes no problem though. I spotted the trialtech pads in TNN backings on the complete pictures of his bike but when I watched the videos the brake sound wasn't the same. I thought I should just point that out! The trialtech pads are just some other pads made by Thierry Klinkenberg like the Try-All Croco pads. They are awesome pads but the thing is this compound is just too hard so it eats the grind too fast resulting into a brake that wears out very slowly but which needs regrinding often to have a great sound and great bite. They are also less tolerant to brake movement so they wear out at a weird angle near the ends faster than other pads. I am sure they work well though but I'll just stick with my Heatsink Coustsink pads with chamferred edges as they don't need a grind that often and as they work just great!
You keep saying 'this compound', but without knowing which compound it is that's surely fairly meaningless? They made several different hardnesses of Try-All Croco pads, so how can you call them all 'this compound'? Stan's brake doesn't seem to have needed grinding any more than with LGMs or any of the other pads he's used with that rim. He even remarked recently upon how long it's been since he ground it, and how well his brake was working on a worn grind...

I had the Heatsinks on for a few weeks, basically so we could get an idea of what they are like for any customers asking. That video is fairly old now, so didn't realise!

The Trialtech pads however have been ridden for around 5 months atleast, so I have a pretty good idea of what they are like. You talk about the material being "too hard", but how do you know what this material is like? Have you ridden with it? Secondly your notes about needing to re-grind often are nonsense from what I've found. If you grind properly (and by that I do not mean harshly) and set brakes up well, they will not wear at funny angles at all. If your pads wear at an angle, it is usually because they are either set up wrong, have to much material on them meaning they rock in the cylinder or the backings are crap.

Anyhow, the Trialtech pads a very good indeed. They have bags of hold, good bite and seem more resiliant to crappy conditions than other pads.

You keep saying 'this compound', but without knowing which compound it is that's surely fairly meaningless? They made several different hardnesses of Try-All Croco pads, so how can you call them all 'this compound'? Stan's brake doesn't seem to have needed grinding any more than with LGMs or any of the other pads he's used with that rim. He even remarked recently upon how long it's been since he ground it, and how well his brake was working on a worn grind...

Yes you're right, that compound could be closer to the try all croco red than the yellows... Sorry for that

I had the Heatsinks on for a few weeks, basically so we could get an idea of what they are like for any customers asking. That video is fairly old now, so didn't realise!

The Trialtech pads however have been ridden for around 5 months atleast, so I have a pretty good idea of what they are like. You talk about the material being "too hard", but how do you know what this material is like? Have you ridden with it? Secondly your notes about needing to re-grind often are nonsense from what I've found. If you grind properly (and by that I do not mean harshly) and set brakes up well, they will not wear at funny angles at all. If your pads wear at an angle, it is usually because they are either set up wrong, have to much material on them meaning they rock in the cylinder or the backings are crap.

Anyhow, the Trialtech pads a very good indeed. They have bags of hold, good bite and seem more resiliant to crappy conditions than other pads.

You're right too about the compound. I was just guessing (and wrong apprently). I was speaking of the pads wearing at an angle near the edges because of the rocking in the cylinders yes.

Yes you're right, that compound could be closer to the try all croco red than the yellows... Sorry for that

You're right too about the compound. I was just guessing (and wrong apprently). I was speaking of the pads wearing at an angle near the edges because of the rocking in the cylinders yes.

You do realise that although these pads are orange; and yes yellow and red makes orange, the compound of the pad has nothing to do with the colour!? You seem to be transfixed that they're the same as a set of TryAll pads.

Yes I don't really know why I confused. Maybe because I have only tested yellow pads from try all and seen brown and reds works. I have seen protos lkfe the greens and white too. They are all the same more or less for me in terms of performance. That's why...

Yes I don't really know why I confused. Maybe because I have only tested yellow pads from try all and seen brown and reds works. I have seen protos lkfe the greens and white too. They are all the same more or less for me in terms of performance. That's why...

That's wonderful for you. But that doesn't mean that these pads are the same as TryAll pads does it?

• Like 1

The green pads weren't protos - they were commercially available? From my experience the different pads have fairly different performance too, it's not just a case of them being different colours just for looks...

I used one for a full season of demos, doing 10ft drops, flips and 360s and it's still going strong on another one of my bikes now.

Yes, I searched before asking, so I read this already. But this is only one experience. :)

Yes, I searched before asking, so I read this already. But this is only one experience. :)

Although I don't have one in my Echo due to having a spanish style BB, I ran one in my Koxx Sky with no problems at all. I also run one on my Inspired 24".

They are excellent BB's. Bearings are super tough.