Found A Couple Of Ooooooolldd Bike Photos

AdamR28

1997/8 - the first bike I ever did any trials on, Giant Alu Pro (22" frame if I remember rightly!):

med_gallery_869_926_178182.jpg

1998/9 - my first 'proper' trials bike, GT Tequesta:

med_gallery_869_926_45107.jpg

2000 - DDG Shooter:

med_gallery_869_926_115041.jpg

2000(?) - Saracen X-ile:

med_gallery_869_926_53846.jpg

2002 - Koxx Levelboss:

med_gallery_869_926_58594.jpg

getting out of the realms of *old* now, so I'll stop there!

EDIT: That blue and white Ms Isle is gorgeous!

Edited by Ben Swales

Some amazing pictures in this thread. The best are of course the ones from the days when we either couldn't find or couldn't afford a trials-specific frame, and made do with a standard MTB frame. Typically this meant a BB dragging on the ground and chainstays a mile long. Kids today don't know they're born! I remember when the Onza mods came out, and a full trials bike could be had for next to nothing - it's no wonder they've done so well.

Earlier this year I finally dug out and processed almost 40 films going back as far as the 90s. This was actually a bit scary - what the hell would I find there? Rubbish, mainly. If I'd been developing them as I went, perhaps there'd have been some feedback and I'd have learned to use a camera properly. Instead I just blundered on in a hit or miss fashion. I'll spare you the school disco ones and share a few of the trials ones that aren't too blurred or out of focus.

This would be about April 1998. Raleigh Ascender, Rock Shox Quadra 10s (bought from Super Cycles), Trans-X bars. Triple chainset, maybe a home-made DCD. Around this time I learned to bunnyhop, endo and do one or two backhops...

11.jpg

Until March 1999 I had a Giant Box One full susser - good on the hills, but trials was becoming my main interest. I bought a GT Arrowhead with a 12.5" full bike, and then stole HS11s, forks, etc off the Giant. The D521 rim on the rear tells me this photo wasn't taken the first time I rode it - the cheap wheel supplied with the bike didn't survive long. Note the cheapo chainset that I couldn't fit a bashguard to!

Brighton, March 1999...

8.jpg

France about four months later, different fork lower legs, learning a bit more now. At this time I was consumed with trying to get up things to back wheel better. Crappy compact camera (others are mainly with SLRs I think)...

10.jpg

My evening job paid out at the end of each month, and I bought more parts. Here I'd bought Fatty's, a set of D521CDs on black LX hubs, a Kore stem and Planet-X bars. Also FSA cranks and a 32T DMR bashguard. Looking back I wonder how I ever rode it, but I did. Photo is Brighton again, late summer 1999 I think, as the Tioga 2.3" tyres I bought around then.

9.jpg

In fact Brighton was where I always liked to ride best. Friends had similar bikes, or those built around the new wave of strong hardtails, like the Azonics and Identitis...

7.jpg

This was emulating Tricks & Stunts. For ages me and my friends sought out the play area, only discovering about a year later than it was only round the corner. Early summer 2000...

4.jpg

3.jpg

In the end I convinced my parents to help me buy a Vario, which initially I had set up about as badly as you could set a bike up. Later it was really nice to ride, with Hope hubs, RS7s. I think this would've been autumn 2002...

5.jpg

Friend on his Heavy Tools, same day...

2.jpg

Next came a whole new bike, more or less. I remember riding it after the Vario, and it just felt absolutely spot-on. This was early 2004...

ashton.jpg

The best improvement I made was some higher rise bars.

Two pictures from Shipley Glen, circa 2004. Note Ali C with Echo Pure!! Other riders are Phil Williams and Danny Smith. Bongo in the background.

shipley.jpg

DLB's Megamo...

megamo.jpg

After that I bought a 2005 Ashton, then an ex-Hawyes Giant, and finally a Curtis, which I still haven't built up. As I've sold literally no bike parts at all, I still have everything, although most of the broken stuff should really be binned.

That was an awesome insight. I literally have no photos of my old bits and pieces. They were all hosted on a site I ran called kickhoptrials.tk back in the day which was hosted on Lycos' Tripod service, obviously died a long time ago with no backup :( I'd love to see those again sometime, but very very unlikely.

Funny to see you were riding Brighton about the same time as my little group and yet we never really knew of anyone else doing it - this was before me bothering with the internet being about 13/14 years old at the time!

EDIT: Lol, they still host the farewell page written in 2004 at kickhoptrials.tripod.com - soooo trying to find the login details for that to see if the photos are still hosted there somewhere

Edited by JDâ„¢

Funny to see you were riding Brighton about the same time as my little group and yet we never really knew of anyone else doing it - this was before me bothering with the internet being about 13/14 years old at the time!

I backed up my Lycos stuff before they hit the wall!

Brighton was always fun, and at times I'd meet others. A few times the Worthing guys were there, and at one time a guy on a green DMR, called Rich I think, from Little Hampton. I knew a few of the people from Horsham, and a few other locals. In fact I remember the first time I saw someone doing backhops and squeakers, and was blown away!! Back then I'd only seen it on the videos and in magazines!!

London was good, and somewhere I have some stills taken from digital video shot with Luke Edwards' gang around 2002 to 2003, although the quality of them is worse than the film ones above...

How f'ing awesome. Got in and there's a few pics:

First 'proper' trials bike. This evolved from a small no brand bike that was one of 2 that I traded for my Marin Rift Zone to get me and my Dad started in the trials world:

post-497-0-65824800-1290180739_thumb.jpg

Amazing style, both riding and hair:

post-497-0-55387000-1290180746_thumb.jpg

This is in Redhill, and the hairstyle just get worse. Yes, that's an undercut. It was 2002 people:

post-497-0-10491700-1290180752_thumb.jpg

This sidehop is actually only about a foot high. I was never any good at them!

post-497-0-37773600-1290180757_thumb.jpg

Judging by the spec here, this is a fair bit older than the first bike pic (yes, those FSAs and onza mini seat were 'upgrades' at the time...)

post-497-0-57703600-1290180763_thumb.jpg

And a few of my riding buddy Tim:

post-497-0-64700000-1290180771_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-23954200-1290180779_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-61293100-1290180785_thumb.jpg

Ah the memories. The shame is that there were LOADS of pics on that site, including the few rides I did on my echo before I quit. No idea where they ended up...

Edited by JDâ„¢

• 2 months later...

This topic is amazing. So cool learning about the tiny amount of people that started modding their mountain bikes to do cool tricks on, revolutionary riding. Crazy how much it took off and how hard trials looked back then, people who rode those bikes must be epic on the super light modern trials frames.

I feel completely microscopic in the trials scene as i've only been riding a bit over a month :P

I still have the second ever made 1990 EWR 20"!!!! only half built so no point putting up pics. couple titanium koza 20's, 2 ti capriolos, monty urban (was supposed to be my sig frame since i designed it but monty dropped me lol) and an old square downtube monty ex-lite circa 1996

I still have the second ever made 1990 EWR 20"!!!! only half built so no point putting up pics. couple titanium koza 20's, 2 ti capriolos, monty urban (was supposed to be my sig frame since i designed it but monty dropped me lol) and an old square downtube monty ex-lite circa 1996

Come on JJ don't worry about if they aren't built up get some pics. You still got the Monty you used in 'Revolution'?

This topic is amazing. So cool learning about the tiny amount of people that started modding their mountain bikes to do cool tricks on, revolutionary riding. Crazy how much it took off and how hard trials looked back then, people who rode those bikes must be epic on the super light modern trials frames.

I feel completely microscopic in the trials scene as i've only been riding a bit over a month :P

Ah.....................................well......................... not really :$

Edited by Matt Vandart
  • Like 1

I miss riding my old Azonic ds1 evolution. It was rocking planet x knifen fork, 'burns with a blackspire bash, hope mini/hs33 raceline combo, mavic d521 ceramics on hope big un's michelin comp 16s azonic bar and stem and xtr drivetrain. Heavy as hell but still the best looking bike i ever had!!

Ali, that global is the nicest frame ive ever seen. I can remember seeing a picture of you in MBUK in that back wheeling a big rock and being in awe!

PS. I wish I had it. Can I have it? Please.

seen that frame on Danny's wall.

my old Zebdi back in 03. Will have to dig out the DDG shooter pics and Giant pics!

This gap was the bomb back then.

post-7595-0-11099100-1297147030_thumb.jp

Edited by tryallmaster

Right then,

All this 'old bikes' talk is making me feel old so i thought I would join in and show you how I started out back in 1997................

I'll start with the first bike that looked anything close to a trials bike....

The Azonic DS2:

post-5859-0-94693500-1297342995_thumb.jp

Followed by The lovely green identiti.....

post-5859-0-42959500-1297343010_thumb.jp

Then came the DMR Sidekick in my MBUK appearance, good times......

post-5859-0-57480100-1297343024_thumb.jp

Then we start getting serious with the beautiful Pashley 26mhz, I loved this! I miss it much.

post-5859-0-10383900-1297343051_thumb.jp

Then the Monty (in 3 Different Colours/Specs). I snapped this.

post-5859-0-22006500-1297343103_thumb.jp

post-5859-0-18530700-1297343124_thumb.jp

post-5859-0-65823000-1297343144_thumb.jp

Then I had a Koxx Levelboss 1065. This rode sooo sweet, kind'a miss this too. Unfortunatly cant find any decent photos that though.

Also found this......... My friend Steve on his Rocket....

post-5859-0-83643700-1297343309_thumb.jp

And this which used to be our riding spot, it was AMAZING!!!

post-5859-0-47681500-1297343367_thumb.jp

So there you go.... 13 years of trials bikes. Now do you all feel young? No? Damn.

post-5859-0-64760300-1297343036_thumb.jp

Edited by actiondan

So do i! Hop idol wasnt it? In that same series there was a guy on a blue and white saracen x tort with hope C2's i remember at the time thinking that was the coolest looking bike ever! That and Akrigg's polished Pace rc 250 dual disc. Does anyone have the picture of the mbuk issuse edited by the Martins?

So do i! Hop idol wasnt it? In that same series there was a guy on a blue and white saracen x tort with hope C2's i remember at the time thinking that was the coolest looking bike ever! That and Akrigg's polished Pace rc 250 dual disc. Does anyone have the picture of the mbuk issuse edited by the Martins?

It was actually called 'Search for a trials star'. The much catchier 'hop idol' was the following year!