Danny Macaskill: Way Back Home

Mikee

Sounded like a comparison to me? :)

He said that because you've been licking Scotty Cranmers balls, and you started the comparison first.

Is it easier to do a 3 point turn in a Nissan Micra or a Limo? Is it easier to flip a BMX or an MTB? Is this apple better than this orange?

He said that because you've been licking Scotty Cranmers balls, and you started the comparison first.

Is it easier to do a 3 point turn in a Nissan Micra or a Limo? Is it easier to flip a BMX or an MTB? Is this apple better than this orange?

I'm pretty sure you have missed the point of my original question to everyone because it definitely wasnt 'who is best Scotty Cranmer or Danny Mac?'

Infact just to refresh your memory

Not to take anything away from Danny as i think this vid is brilliant but i'm not sure he is pushing the riding envolope quite as far as people imagine.

let me explain........

Now, the front flip drop thing has been done by quite a few other riders already. I'm sure Sam pilgrim and Scotty Cranmer to name a couple have been doing them for quite a while now. Dont get me wrong his riding is very impressive and he is probably one of the most rounded riders in the world today but for that very reason its hard to push the envolope when you are an extremely talented jack of all trades but not quite a master of any one particular.

on the other hand I guess you could say he is a pioneer in the sense he is the first rider to bring all the different aspects of trials, BMX and Freeride together?

I guess this is a rather pointless post but just wondering what peoples think about it?

Edited by saunders

Is that not just him painting his house? Is that what the purpose of the whole trip was?

Danny's Mum: "The house is starting to look a little tattered - the walls could do with a paint. I'd do it myself, but my back......"

Danny: "Hang on Ma, I've just had a brilliant idea!" (rings Red Bull)

But then surely he is not pioneering or pushing the envolope further than anyone else at the mo in terms of the moves he is pulling? Have we have seen straight front flips drops in one guise or another from other riders around the world already?

Does that mean no-one should have tried doing tailwhips and seeing what they could do with them after someone did the first one? Clearly not...

Hitler

This thread has just been Godwin'd. Time to wrap it up and stop discussing things.

Which is a shame as I've just done the first ever downturned, varial, opposite whip, backflip, bars.

Unfrotunately as the rules state that no trick can ever be repeated, without being considered passé, I'm not able to repeat it to get it on camera.

Edited by Object

Does that mean no-one should have tried doing tailwhips and seeing what they could do with them after someone did the first one? Clearly not...

Thats not my point, what i am saying is to be pioneer you need top be the first to have done it, I'm just saying Danny isnt the first to do straight front flip drops, so in that aspect he is not a pioneer and pushing the limits as much as many might belive he is.

However if you read any of my other post you will see I do agree he is pioneering in how he is intergrating so many styles fo riding into one.

I'm not trying to insult the guy I think he is a Legend and deserves all the credit he is getting for what he is doing!!! I admire anyone who dedicates themselves to achieving their goals.

Note to self; Dont try and spark up a conversation on TF that might invoak some contraversy, some subjects are just too taboo.

Edited by saunders

Thats not my point, what i am saying is to be pioneer you need top be the first to have done it, I'm just saying Danny isnt the first to do straight front flip drops, so in that aspect he is not a pioneer and pushing the limits as much as many might belive he is.

I don't know how many different people, and in how many different ways, you need to hear this from. Maybe you need to watch the video again. The first front flip was done with NO RUN UP. That is a completely different kettle of fish to pulling one with momentum. Taking a hop after a runup doesn't make Scottys one static, it's just a way of moving the kinetic energy from forwards momentum to frontflipping momentum.

I just went for a run. Or do I mean walk by your definition? After all, it's all just putting one foot in front of the other... :rolleyes:

Reading this thread definitely makes me wonder why I still bother coming on this forum.

So many narrow minded people.

1) The bits in that vid that are what some of you like to call 'real trials' blew most of the TGS vids out the water anyway, the effortlessness of them and also the fact that they were placed in the video in such an incidental manner is, as Mark W said earlier, a massive 'lol' to all those of you who thought he could just do spins. (Although, clearly if you had any kind of prior knowledge of trials you would know that Danny has been on the scene for a bit longer than just April 09 and that he can actually do gaps >_< )

2) I can see what people are saying about the panning. I've watched the video half a dozen times probably and I'm just getting to the stage now where I'm noticing it (up until now all I could see was Danny smashing everything). I think what you have to remember is that we are all pretty accustomed to watching videos that are either static tripod shots or wobbly hand held shots. What you have to remember is that this isn't and amateur web vid, this is a piece of art. The shots are absolutely stunning. I could honestly watch this video without the riding in it and still think it's beautiful.

3) The whole trials/bmx debate is a waste of time. Who cares. The way I see it Danny doesn't ride BMX because he likes riding trials, he is comfortable on his bike and he is having the time of his life. Street trials has always been a bit of a subculture on here, but in the time I've been a member it has been growing and growing. I'm confident it will continue to do so too.

Let's be honest with ourselves here too.. Where is trials likely to expand the most.. TGS or Street? Once we can't physically gap any further or sidehop any higher, what then?

Just watched it.

One of the most inspiring videos ive ever seen,

Like the Mtb/trials/bmx mix,, (Y)

Total agree dude!

After not hitting the forum in time am so glad i did and WoW he will be king soon!

Great vid, rasied the bar from his last vid, inspired after that !

Edited by thewoomaster

Let's be honest with ourselves here too.. Where is trials likely to expand the most.. TGS or Street? Once we can't physically gap any further or sidehop any higher, what then?

I personally don't think limits can be reached. There's always some freak that comes a long and can go bigger.

Now now, Danny is not a freak!

He is clearly a machine built on the isle of Skye :lol:

Great Video, i love it!

Nope HE is a freak!

( i have now gone to the dictionary to check out the word freak as i may be calling the kettle black!)

Edit: nope i am just a devient!

Edited by mr kenny