Danny Macaskill: Way Back Home

Mikee

I think what they mean is that they completely overlooked how amazing the riding was to pick up on minor details that don't really make much difference.

I think...

But nah, it's just the movement of the camera. I'm usually fairly 'picky' (for want of a better word) about that sort of thing in videos, but I didn't even notice it in this 'cos I was too busy being blown away by the riding.

On the filming the only complaint i had was sometimes, i felt they were doing all the panning just for the sake of making it look better produced now it is advertising a global brand and not just a web video, and that it went for scenery over riding. But thats how they wanted it filmed, thats fair enough, to people how know about filming maybe it was expertly produced.

Riding however was top notch, frontflips etc aside, that hop to manual to hook was insane and i really like the hop over the bench to the beach wall and back. Crazy how he managed to improve past the 09 vid.

Yeh, i mean like when he does the 360 drop around 3:15 and there's a gturn somewhere where i felt it looked out of place, i wasn't referring to the actual shots of scenery, i just couldn't think of a better word. I can't really explain how i mean but i do realise Dave is 100% more experienced than me.

2nd reason to get back on my old school Trial bike......1. reason was April 2009.......just wanna thank Danny & his team for making such a great work without them I would never have started to ride my Trial bike again after 10 years...

And

I also wanna thank Redbull for supporting all kind of cool guys....(and girls ; )) keep up the good work I can't get enough of it!

i think the two islands hes on with the forth rail bridge in the background are inchgarvie(the one right next to the bridge) and inchmickery(the one where you can see the bridge in the distance.) Must get a group ride there sometime! lol ;)

Edited by Woodster

I remember catching a train to a Clan demo and going over the bridge and seeing those islands with those buildings and thinking how cool they would be to ride. I went to Danny's house later and told him that I wanted to go riding there, but unfortunately for me he had already seen them and had been to scope it out and take pictures. The rest is history.

I liked how April 2009 had that general 'feel' that it was just another 'normal' riders video, the way a lot of the shots were filmed made it seem like you were stood there watching. Where as Way Back Home had more of a ducumentary feel to it. Not saying it as a bad thing in the slightest! It proves how much has changed for Danny between the two videos, how he's gone from just out riding for himself, to now doing it for a bunch of big companies.

Pretty crap at wording these kinda things, but you get the idea.

Best video I've ever seen! Frontflips made it.

Just because I don't want to fall into the "haters" group, I am actually blown away by all of the riding, that tap, manual, hook left me speechless along with the last couple of clips, just wanted to say that I thought they could of toned down the panning abit at the start of the video. Apologies.

fantastic filming, really did feel like a journey. enjoyed the soundtrack went hand in hand with the riding and filming and gave it emotion.

i take my hat off to Danny. . . . he's been pushing the limits of riding for years, people always say what more can be done on a bike??? Danny will show you!

truely inspirational.

Not to take anything away from Danny as i think this vid is brilliant but i'm not sure he is pushing the riding envolope quite as far as people imagine.

let me explain........

Now, the front flip drop thing has been done by quite a few other riders already. I'm sure Sam pilgrim and Scotty Cranmer to name a couple have been doing them for quite a while now. Dont get me wrong his riding is very impressive and he is probably one of the most rounded riders in the world today but for that very reason its hard to push the envolope when you are an extremely talented jack of all trades but not quite a master of any one particular.

on the other hand I guess you could say he is a pioneer in the sense he is the first rider to bring all the different aspects of trials, BMX and Freeride together?

I guess this is a rather pointless post but just wondering what peoples think about it?

Edited by saunders

I have seen Sam Pilgrim do it once into soft sand, plus he doesn't exactly make many videos showcasing his riding (or not that I have seen).

Scotty Cranmer has done it very well a few times, but I havn't seen anyone other than he and Danny do them properly, it's so new it can still be classed as pushing the envolope in my eyes.

I have seen Sam Pilgrim do it once into soft sand, plus he doesn't exactly make many videos showcasing his riding (or not that I have seen).

Scotty Cranmer has done it very well a few times, but I havn't seen anyone other than he and Danny do them properly, it's so new it can still be classed as pushing the envolope in my eyes.

I did one once as well, but turns out i went over my bars and just kept a hold of my bike.

happy days

p.s. hurt my balls in the process too.

Not to take anything away from Danny as i think this vid is brilliant but i'm not sure he is pushing the riding envolope quite as far as people imagine.

let me explain........

Now, the front flip drop thing has been done by quite a few other riders already. I'm sure Sam pilgrim and Scotty Cranmer to name a couple have been doing them for quite a while now. Dont get me wrong his riding is very impressive and he is probably one of the most rounded riders in the world today but for that very reason its hard to push the envolope when you are an extremely talented jack of all trades but not quite a master of any one particular.

on the other hand I guess you could say he is a pioneer in the sense he is the first rider to bring all the different aspects of trials, BMX and Freeride together?

I guess this is a rather pointless post but just wondering what peoples think about it?

I can see where your coming from, and I would go with him being a pioneer at being able to bring all the different aspects of riding together.

Because of what he is doing in this video, it does seem like he'd be shit hot on a free ride bike down some decent north shore, as well riding a park on a bmx. He just seems to have the skills to do it. Whether he could do it on the appropriate bikes is another thing.

I think a lot is assumed, just because he's riding a 24" opposed to a stock or mod and that he's riding street opposed to natural or tgs doesn't necessarily mean that he's not fully capable of competing with the top riders, i mean his style would differ quite a lot.

He may only be good at doing what he does on his 24", if that's the case, fair play to him being able to do pretty much any riding discipline on the one bike.

Either way, I see Danny as pushing the boundaries of what can be done, it's inspiring and entertaining.