Danny Macaskill: Way Back Home

Mikee

I have seen Sam Pilgrim do it once into soft sand, plus he doesn't exactly make many videos showcasing his riding (or not that I have seen).

Scotty Cranmer has done it very well a few times, but I havn't seen anyone other than he and Danny do them properly, it's so new it can still be classed as pushing the envolope in my eyes.

Both vids are from 2008.

Front Flip down stairs

A bloody good try

The second vid might not exactly be sucessful but you get the idea that people have been doing/attempting them for quite a while.

my point was that it is difficult to truely push the boundaries of what is possible when you are getting your influences from so many different riding styles. Do you not think the guys that are really pushing the boundarys are the ones who focus more on one style of riding and dedicate themselves to it?

such as this double front flip

Edited by saunders

You've got to learn the basics of any move to then be able to develop them and make them your own. This video, it was a straight frontflip. What if next time, it's a front flip off something to back wheel, to gap/something else? It's about taking those different influences and applying them to new things, which is what Danny does.

If you're going to fully go down your line of thinking, wouldn't it make more sense for MTB dirt jumpers to move to BMX seeing as MTB dirt jumping is just a watered down version of BMX in terms of the tricks people are doing?

I'd imagine Danny also places more emphasis on having fun and enjoying himself rather than trying to be branded a 'master of all trades' or 'true innovator' or anything like that...

my point was that it is difficult to truely push the boundaries of what is possible when you are getting your influences from so many different riding styles. Do you not think the guys that are really pushing the boundarys are the ones who focus more on one style of riding and dedicate themselves to it?

He's pushing the boundaries of what's possible in trials.

Not in terms of size or height of moves, but in terms of what he can integrate into a line.

Did you watch a different video to everyone else? The first front flip was done from a static position. HE FRONT FLIPPED OFF HIS BACK WHEEL!

I've never seen anyone do that.

Scotty Cranmer did it on a bmx aages ago. but he had a run up and like hopped into it

EDIT: VIDEO

Edited by mr ailsbury

HE FRONT FLIPPED OFF HIS BACK WHEEL!

he had a run up and like hopped into it

So he didn't do it from static then? Run up does not equal static, whether he stops for a millisecond or not...

I never said anything about static

Edited by mr ailsbury

You've got to learn the basics of any move to then be able to develop them and make them your own. This video, it was a straight frontflip. What if next time, it's a front flip off something to back wheel, to gap/something else? It's about taking those different influences and applying them to new things, which is what Danny does.

But then surely he is not pioneering or pushing the envolope further than anyone else at the mo in terms of the moves he is pulling? Have we have seen straight front flips drops in one guise or another from other riders around the world already?

If you're going to fully go down your line of thinking, wouldn't it make more sense for MTB dirt jumpers to move to BMX seeing as MTB dirt jumping is just a watered down version of BMX in terms of the tricks people are doing?

To be honest I dont think there are any MTB dirt jumpers that can be called Pioneering as I dont think I have ever seen a move done on a Dirt jump bike that hasn't been done on a BMX before. However thats not to say there isnt the potential for mtb dirt jumping to branch off in different directions from BMX and develop new innovative moves and styles of riding.

I'd imagine Danny also places more emphasis on having fun and enjoying himself rather than trying to be branded a 'master of all trades' or 'true innovator' or anything like that...

I dont dispute this at all, my comment were about peoples perception of him being a Pioneer not his own opinion of his riding.

He's pushing the boundaries of what's possible in trials.

Not in terms of size or height of moves, but in terms of what he can integrate into a line.

From my earlier post:

"on the other hand I guess you could say he is a pioneer in the sense he is the first rider to bring all the different aspects of trials, BMX and Freeride together?" :)

I guess it would be fair to say what he is doing isn't anything we havent seen before from other riders be it BMX, Freeride or trials but that where he is pushing the boundaries / pioneering / innovating is in how he intergrates all the different styles into one form of riding.

P.S I realise I am playing devils advicote with my comments above and they are purely there to raise a response to help pass the time of day.

Did you watch a different video to everyone else? The first front flip was done from a static position. HE FRONT FLIPPED OFF HIS BACK WHEEL!

Scotty Cramner has dont this before, he back wheeled up a wall of a kicker then front flipped off the other side. Cant find the vid at the mo but it has been done.

Edited by saunders

Where's the focus on fun?

Yip. Any time I talk to Dan about him doing a new line, hes not talking about mixing styles, pushing the boundaries or any of that bull shite. He usually has his hands up as if hes shaking a large medicine ball. (His fingers are permanently in a bend position from grabbing the bar) and hes going on about not being able to sleep for excitement over doing a line hes been thinking about for ages.

Yip. Any time I talk to Dan about him doing a new line, hes not talking about mixing styles, pushing the boundaries or any of that bull shite. He usually has his hands up as if hes shaking a large medicine ball. (His fingers are permanently in a bend position from grabbing the bar) and hes going on about not being able to sleep for excitement over doing a line hes been thinking about for ages.

pretty much all the true great riders I ve met are talking that way.

focus on the impossible line, with tons of motivation and a big smile

PAINFULLLLLLLLLLL THREADDDDDDDDDDDDDD of pointless serious evaluative imposition onto one another.

Catagorization is a utility; not a means of missing the point of what matters. Where's the focus on fun?

For many on this forum the topics discussed are merely an escape from the manotany of work and are about as much fun as you can have sat at your desk!

or maybe thats just me? :D

oh....and also....

there are far better lines / moves in the video than the front flip. Thats just ballsy. Danny has been doing front flips with momentum for years 0:52 seconds in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMROS_L7ToA

kicker, manual, hook line was epic....get scotty cranmer on that one...

lets not try and compare Scotty Cranmer and Danny Mac, i'm pretty sure danny mac hasn't dont front flip tailwhips or double back flips? Maybe in the next vid? :)

Go on Danny you know you want to!!! :lol:

Edited by saunders

lets not try and compare Scotty Cranmer and Danny Mac, i'm pretty sure danny mac hasn't dont front flip tailwhips or double back flips?

i wasnt comparing...you did...we all know front flips have been done on bmx's for years. Danny had front flips before he could back flip....

i have seen danny on all the types of bikes that have been mentioned alot in this topic (bmx, trials (mod and stock), freeride / downhill), and i can truly say that he is good on all of them.

i have seen danny land a double and a triple whip 360 drop (if thats what you call those whip drop things he does) in edinburgh....id like to see many other riders of any discipline land that. I have also seen him sidehop a long trials bike up a decent sized wall, tapping decent sized rocks bigger than most TGS riders.

is "insert decent bmxer or freeriders name here" as good on a trialsbike as he is on a bmx or a freeride bike...i very much doubt it. its just a shame you wanted to categorize his type of riding. From MY OPINION you were insinuating he should just ride a bmx. no he shouldn't. he should ride his inspired and continue to push HIS riding to the limit.

• Like 1

All the f**ks that are complaining about this video can't ride for shit and have to bag on a video comparing apples to oranges because they can't ride for shit themselves. f**king retards.

Seriously, who the hell complains about a FREE video???

/end thread.

Edited by rupintart

All the f**ks that are complaining about this video can't ride for shit and have to bag on a video comparing apples to oranges because they can't ride for shit themselves. f**king retards.

Seriously, who the hell complains about a FREE video???

/end thread.

No one is complaining, the video is absolutely awesome!! we are just discussing a topic, which I am pretty sure is the whole point of a forum?

If your not interested in contributing constructively to the discussion and just want to insult people you're probably better off not replying and keeping your thoughts to yourself.

i wasnt comparing...you did...

kicker, manual, hook line was epic....get scotty cranmer on that one...

Sounded like a comparison to me? :)

you are completely right though Danny Mac is the most rounded rider I have ever seen no doubt.

I want another video!! maybe a front flip tailwhip drop thown in next time? that would be insane!!

Edited by saunders