Android Apps

dann2707

The power control Widget's pretty handy.

I've not got that many apps on my HTC desire, mostly car related stuff (decibel metre, dyno thingy ect..)

handyCalc's an awesome calculator that will do pretty much anything, including basic algebra, and includes an awesome unit converter and auto-updating currency converter.

cgSpeed is a cool GPS speedo too, it'll display your speed as a mirror image so that when placed on your dashboard the reflection acts as a heads up display. Pointless but kinda cool.

Abduction!

Angry Birds

Amazon Kindle if you like reading

Amazon Barcode

Barcode Scanner

Cardio Trainer (sounds stupid but can be used as a bike computer/route tracker which is quite cool for XC rides)

Dolphin Browser

eBay

Evernote

Facebook

Google Sky Map

Google Maps

Out of Milk

RAC Traffic

RealCalc

Shopper

BBC News - obvious really

Remember The Milk - Task manager/to-do list, probably not much use to you as you're "just" a school pupil, but for students and professionals you may find it quite a useful tool for remembering all those little things to do as well as coursework deadlines etc. The online service is free, the app is free for 15 days or something then you need to upgrade to a pro account.#

2 Player Reactor - Pretty addictive reaction game

Slice It! - Kind of similar to Fruit Ninja on iPhones

Convertpad - converts any unit to any unit really

Task Manager - Shut down stuff you aren't using

Smart Alarm Clock - Monitors your sleep and wakes you up at your most active in a specified slot - means you should wake up more awake

Zombie, Run! - Cool GPS based game that generates zombies on Googlemaps and you have to run away from them :lol:

I recommend anyone with a galaxy s to visit the xda developers site. Basically 3million members hacking and creating phone apps/firmware/roms/kernels/themes/apps etc. The beauty of android is that it is open source so anyone can create and develop.

http://forum.xda-dev...splay.php?f=656

Also you might want to take a look at the followings apps:

LauncherPro - Changes the built in galaxy s launcher so you can get a 3d app draw and custom icons for your task bar etc etc

BeautifulWidgets (best weather app ever) - displays weather + some other widgets but really well

JeFit - best gym/workout app out there imo

Instant Heart Rate - measures your pulse using the camera (has been scary accurate for me)

Kies Air - Allows you to use kies over wireless instead of using usb cable

Live Holdem Pro - poker.. really well done

My Days (for tracking your gf's period.. very handy! )

Sky News - obvious

Also there is 100% no need to install shit like Advanced Task Killer and all these other task killing apps. Androids handles this itself built in.. it makes 0 difference other than draining your batter to have these apps installed. If you want more agressive app killing (which isnt really even recommended) some of the custom roms allow you to change this setting.

Edit: Forgot to say make sure you use SWYPE! its the best way ever to type on a touchscreen phone and its always fun to watch how shit it must be to type on an iphone in comparison

Edited by munkee
  • Like 1

Also there is 100% no need to install shit like Advanced Task Killer and all these other task killing apps. Androids handles this itself built in.. it makes 0 difference other than draining your batter to have these apps installed.

That may be the case for Android 2.2 phones but 2.1 (which a lot of Wildfire's are still running) do suffer from unnecessary apps draining the battery. I'm still on 2.1 and Advanced Task Killer is a godsend!

• 3 weeks later...

Now I'man Android user thought I'd post a few of my apps.

WiimoteController+Tiger GBA/NES/SNES+Emulator ROMs=Oldskool gaming experiance on your phone all for free using a wiimote. Can always use the screen to control as well if your on the move.

Parcels - keep track of all your TF purchases.

Trainline tickets - check train times

Sky+ - check sky guide and set programmes to record whilst your out

TuneIn Radio - massive selection of radio stations to listen to via wifi/3g including major and local stations

Thats all I've bothered with for now

Not me, I use the Facebook for Android app and it's not very good.

The train time program however is bloody fantastic but it was £3.49 but imo that's deffo worth paying for if you get trains weekly.

Tell you the times, platform and ticket price and can more stuff but i've only ever tried that stuff.

HTC Desire reppin'

Advanced Task Killer

Amazon Kindle

Angry Birds

App Protector Pro

BBC News

Gameoid (Game boy emulator)

Go! Chat

Google Sky Maps

Google Translate

GPS Status

PSX Droid - (PS1 Emulator - best app ever!)

RAC Traffic

Sky News

Urban Dictionary

Weather Bug

Where's my Droid

WikiMobile

Yell

I've also rooted my Desire.

Edited by Fishy

• 1 month later...

might as well stick it in here, im very very annoyed with my desires battery life(freshly rooted, so ill see how things go from here) but ive got an awesome idea for an app, but im sure someone must of already thought of it, so i just need to find it.

basically when i was in maga last year, i had my phone on the whole time, but had mobile data turned off,since it would of cost me loads for it, and the phone lasted a good 5 days off a charge, with just light messaging usage etc, now ive got it rooted, it knocks the processor speed right down when the screen is off, is there anyway of getting it to knock mobile data off as soon as the screen is off, since the phone could still do the whole send/recieve calls and messages things like a phone, it just wasnt smart, but to be fair, when its in my pocket, it dont need to be a smartphone, it can be a phone that rings me and doesnt sap all power.

That sounds good finger.

I've just downloaded a new keyboard for my phone and wow its so much better. And you can customise the dimensions of the keys. Loving android so much just for Its customisability. I can't see how people with iphones say that ios is better to be honest...