Android Apps

dann2707

Anyone got the Galaxy mini? I'm getting a contract and I can either have the Galaxy mini for free, a HTC Wildfire for 59€ or a sony Ericsson x10 mini pro for 49€. I can't make my mind up, good battery life and lightness/smallness are my main priorities.

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd update this with a few new apps I've had recently!

Drawsomething - quality game where you draw a pic for your friends to guess a word (if you've got it send me one, my username is isitafox)

Gnarbike Trials - pretty obvious really, the developer gives loads of updates and stuff for this

FPSe - PSX emulator that works with almost all games

Sixaxis - hook your wireless PS3 pad up via bluetooth for use on all your emulators and even stuff like GTA3

Souncloud - free mixes and tracks from hundreds of awesome DJ's, artists and Mr MadManMike aka The Scientist

Titanium Backup - the best backup app going as it keeps your backed up apps linked to the play store unlike most others, great for when you change roms

Techno Kitten Adventure - my all time number one favouritest ever game, if you like happy hardcore!

MX Video Player - my new favourite video player, will play almost any format you can find!

Edited by isitafox

might as well stick it in here, im very very annoyed with my desires battery life(freshly rooted, so ill see how things go from here) but ive got an awesome idea for an app, but im sure someone must of already thought of it, so i just need to find it.

basically when i was in maga last year, i had my phone on the whole time, but had mobile data turned off,since it would of cost me loads for it, and the phone lasted a good 5 days off a charge, with just light messaging usage etc, now ive got it rooted, it knocks the processor speed right down when the screen is off, is there anyway of getting it to knock mobile data off as soon as the screen is off, since the phone could still do the whole send/recieve calls and messages things like a phone, it just wasnt smart, but to be fair, when its in my pocket, it dont need to be a smartphone, it can be a phone that rings me and doesnt sap all power.

Been done: its called Juice Defender and its pretty good!

Got a new keyboard in a 49p sale a few days ago, it's ace. Not only does it do the predictive thing for the word you're typing, but it also tries to guess the next word for you and gets it right about 75% of the time. Really quick to type messages on, its called SwiftKey.

One for you lot in the future if your interested in 3D, my firend is currently developing a control for a twin camera system (can be any DSLR or wireless cam) that allows you to record, genlock, and playback at the exact same time, it can also then layer the images for you to create the 3D.

• 5 months later...

ADW Launcher EX. Awesome home screen replacement for the likes of Touchwiz or Motoblur. Faster, lighter weight and a lot more customisable too.

Chrome. The only browser you should be using. Sync bookmarks across all your devices and pick up tabs you have open on your computer from your phone / vice versa.

Google Earth. Just because it's awesome visualising mountain routes in 3D.

BBC iPlayer. Watch TV and stuff.

Beautiful Widgets. Great weather/clock homescreen widgets.

Google Sky Map. Just try it. Seriously.

Smooth Calendar. Great widget for upcoming events. If you don't already use Google Calendar, you should be.

Unified Remote. Control your computer / laptop from your phone. Great as a movie remote.

Strava. I don't even need to explain this one. Once you start using it, it'll change the way you ride/run.

GTA3. Because GTA3.

• 2 weeks later...

Apps:

Android Assistant - general phone housekeeping and task management, free and works a treat on every android phone I used.

Avast Mobile

ColorNote - quick easy notes and lists

Endomondo - if you do any XC/Road/MTB riding. Keeps a track of your routes, time ..etc.. using GPS

Games,

Angry Birds (should come as default IMO)

Music Hero (Guitar hero for phone)

Temple Run

I had loads of issues with the facebook app so just go straight to website using internet and it displays in mobile view anyway. Same for Twitter.

Endomondo doesn't need 3g, it uses GPS to track where you go, speed, distance..etc.. and then when back with a Wifi/3G connection it will lay it out on a map and save on your account as a historical route.

If you want mapping software, I use OruxMaps, but you have to download the maps of the required area to use offline, no internet connection needed to actually use, just GPS

• 2 years later...

Been a while since any new apps were posted so I'm gonna bump this up!

Current new apps of recommendation are;

Bounts - Mentioned this before where you link it to fitness apps and trackers to get points which you convert to online shopping vouchers.

Bullseye - Awesome recreation of the classic show including the full original intro, sounds and ropey prizes. (I still haven't won the gamble for a speedboat!)

Feem Lite - Good app for transferring stuff via wifi to your laptop/PC if you can't use a cable.

Freeprints - Pretty much what it says, get free prints of your phone pics. I think you get around 45 a month.

Hola - Free VPN, useful for downloading torrents and the like when sites are blocked, watching Netflix from other countries, etc and it's free!

LiveNow!tv - A good selection of freeview TV channels on your phone which you can watch on a regular data connection unlike a lot of others.