Ghostie Stories

bikeperson45

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in ghosts?

• Yes
    • No
    • I will when they're scientifically proven
    • I don't really care if they do or not, just as long as they don't pester me
    • I love voting!

The only ghost story I could tell you is ghostbusters.

When you're walking down the street, and you see a little Ghost, What you gonna do about Ghost busters?

In a way this is similar to the way people remember Ghost stories. They always add bits for effect and leave other bits out. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Edited by Al_Fel

In a way this is similar to the way people remember Ghost stories. They always add bits for effect and leave other bits out. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

It also seems that specific information is important, like Nick's post further up where he specifically says room 106, I know that number's going to stick in my mind now and it adds to the realism of it. Still freaked me out.

A friend and his family were on holiday in a hotel up in Scotland. Him and his two siblings were sharing a room and late at night they were woken up by the sound of crying. They all heard it but none of them said anything out of fear, so they didn't know the other two were awake. After about of minute of the crying they heard the door open and close but they did not actually see it do so, and then gradually the crying stopped.

The parents went down to reception in the morning, without being told this from the children, and said they were glad someone had stopped the baby crying. They had heard footsteps on the landing and the door open and close. The receptionist said that they hear stories about a baby crying very often from that room. Never the less the children were really freaked out by the whole thing.

The traditional idea of ghosts is a bit rubbish, and all those stupid ghost hunting programs are lame.

However, we only know so much about our existence, and it's often easy to accept what we know and dismiss anything new. For example, if you'd told people 1000 years ago about the Earth being round, or man one day going to the moon, they'd have laughed. Much like people do today when you mention the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It's easy and more comfortable, and indeed less scary, to be dismissive of such things. Bizarrely people gladly accept religion, but let's avoid going into that...

There are some interesting theories, like time-slips, and tears in space-time allowing glimpses of past times. In some stories this appears like the past somehow being projected onto the present in a non-interactive way, for example an 'apparition' appearing, doing the same thing, and vanishing. Then there are (unlikely sounding) stories of people finding themselves in the right place, but 100 years earlier, etc, then suddenly being back in the present. This is interesting to think about, when you consider the theory that everything is happening at the same time, but we can't see it. Our appreciation of three-dimensional space makes that hard to picture. But what if everything you ever do in the room you're in now, this minute, is happening all at the same time, and yet your consciousness moves between these places?

Personally I've had a few experiences, all of which I'm happy to consider explainable in other ways. I don't consider these proof that there are 'ghosts'...

An ex-girlfriend lived in a big four-storey Victorian house one year at uni. I went to pick some stuff up with her after all her other friends had gone out. She was on the top floor, so I went over to an upright piano in the hall, opened the lid, and started hammering out scary horror type music. Anyway, she tired of it, and came downstairs, and we were nearby, not looking at the piano, and there was a bang. We looked and the lid was shut over the keys. I went over to it, and opened it, but couldn't balance it in such a way that it could fall down.

Another time in an abandoned mental hospital there were some loud footsteps right above our heads, and then in one room we swore someone walked past the doorway. We ran, as security guards were known to patrol there once, but on returning could find no sign of anyone. It could well have been workers or other explorers - it's easy for your mind to play tricks in such places.

Once in a disused underground mine, which is sometimes used for tours, me and a friend hid because we heard steps just around the corner. We came out a minute or so later, and there was no sign of anyone. Again there's the possibility it was a security guard, but deep underground, after hours, alone...?

In my parents' house I've heard tapping on the wall. It's different to the sound of the water pipes in the cavity clanging when it's windy, but again, could be a loose bit of wood in there or something. It doesn't seem to happen when it's windy, but again, could be mice doing something. Very rhythmic and clear tapping though, like five or six loud taps.

So it's good to theorise, or be open to ideas. And we know relatively little about the whole concept of consciousness and self-awareness, so who really knows what's possible?

The traditional idea of ghosts is a bit rubbish, and all those stupid ghost hunting programs are lame.

There was this abandoned hospital/mental home we used to go jam in or on the roof of, and we forever heard wierd noises and had spooky experiences there. Thought nothing of it until one of those programs (can't remember what it was called but was the main one getting buzz on tv at the time) covered it :ermm: Turns out loads of people had died there etc and there was stories on that which matched up to ours.

The way i see it, why aren't there ghosts everywhere. In the streets, pubs etc instead of just houses. Of all the people who have died in the world why have only a few (percentage wise) hung around. Why is it just humans, never animals.

1.I thought to have read that only those "people" can get cought in "our" world when they die very suddenly/suprisingly to themselfes and can't, sort of, prepare..

2. I keep seeing a white cat the whole damn time in our flat. (about 2 a week since about a year) and once heard something eat my cats food, whilst my cat was sitting on my lap listening to it too..

My granny (kinda) used to work in a hospital which is now flats i dont know how long ago. It had a few floors and apparently there was something that haunted it called the grey lady. Just a grey shadow walking about, but it had a face.

Another one, when my mum lived in that haunted house i metioned earlier, she and my granny went out one day, left the dogs in the house both dorrs locked. The hall goes straight from the back door to the front, so when you walk in one door the other is straight ahead. They heard the dogs barking and barking, walked back to the house and both doors were wide open as if someone or something had just ran through. Weird!

My mother and father saw ORBS floating around me while i was a sleep....for 30 or so seconds and as soon as they left i jumped out of my skin. now that freaks me out

Another time

i woke up and 3 beings were stood at my bed ....i couldent move and i couldent scream ( yes i tried) then they buggerd off and gradualy could move and speak again.

there is a past of hauntings and such things that goes on in my close family....but i wont go in to that on a public forum

a machine or electrical appliance can emit frequencies that can cause eyes to slightly vibrate and cause hallucinations.

Noises I am not sure how to explain I am sure there is scientific reason for noises,or perhaps at a time of heightened energy, things like brick can "record" that energy and release it at a later date.

Both of those sound just as dodgy and far-fetched as believing it's ghosts.

They say the universe is made up of 20% of ordinary matter, and 80% dark matter. We can't feel or see 'dark' matter but you can see its effects. Who's to say there's a whole-nother level of physical shit going on that explains this type of stuff that we can't suss out because it's made of dark matter. Even humans could have dark matter components, it might explain how memory works.

Edited by Revolver

They say the universe is made up of 20% of ordinary matter, and 80% dark matter. We can't feel or see 'dark' matter but you can see its effects. Who's to say there's a whole-nother level of physical shit going on that explains this type of stuff that we can't suss out because it's made of dark matter. Even humans could have dark matter components, it might explain how memory works.

With that ratio shouldn't dark matter be ordinary?

Went round a friends house heard footsteps going up and down the stairs, (have never watched paranormal activity) everyone was in bed, i woke my friend up and told her, she said that they hear it often.

Still don't/won't believe in ghosts though, untill i see one... sober.

About 4 years ago we were driving, and spotted a lady on the edge of the road ahead, we went round a bend and she became out of sight, when she should have been back in sight, she wasn't. There was nowhere she could have gone, without being spotted. I dont know anything about that road but the layout seemed as if it could be a place for accidents, so possibly?

I dont know what I think really. Who knows.