Rim Tar

Gregez10

i used to peel mine straight out of the ground with a screwdriver (Y) ... go for a ride about and look inbetween the gaps of paving stones, peoples driveways etc lol, sometimes playgrounds have loads of sticky tar laid between the sections of soft tarmac... look for the black sticky stuff, rip out a chunk with a screwdriver, roll the chunk around in your hands like a stress ball untill it warms up and becomes sticky, rub it all over your braking surface, win!

never thought of buying the stuff?, but then again i used this this technique about 6 years ago when i was running magura's on my first bike

honest question, are people really still using tar? i always figured that once trials guys figured out how to get a good, consistently harsh grind, the tar wasnt necessary?

i assumed it was an old school thing you did instead of grinding your rims...

From what I've seen, it's usually kids who can't get permission from their rents or are a bit scared of doing it. I can't imagine any other reason for using tar - although I personally won't use anything other than smooth rims anyway.

^interesting

no slippage issues even if you land on say, an edge at a weird angle? what kind of pads are you running? my front rim is almost completely smooth, and running plaz crm's with no issues whatsoever..id be scared to leave the rear smooth though...when i first started a couple years ago i didnt wanna grind my rim cause it was so cool looking, and didnt see a point in wearing a helmet at the time either...lol then i looped out during a pedal kick, hit my head on wood and had a headache for a couple days and a HUGE knot. learned 2 lessons that day. heh

^interesting

no slippage issues even if you land on say, an edge at a weird angle? what kind of pads are you running? my front rim is almost completely smooth, and running plaz crm's with no issues whatsoever..id be scared to leave the rear smooth though...when i first started a couple years ago i didnt wanna grind my rim cause it was so cool looking, and didnt see a point in wearing a helmet at the time either...lol then i looped out during a pedal kick, hit my head on wood and had a headache for a couple days and a HUGE knot. learned 2 lessons that day. heh

Yea, I have problems with bite in comparison to others, but it just means you have to focus on getting weight distribution and technique right instead (Y)

I don't think I'll ever trade doing things that way for a grind, just seems more pure this way. But I'm silly and old school, it's not for everyone.

^that is pretty cool though..as a new rider at 28 years old, and a former skater...i REALLY wish i found out about trials earlier in life and got the chance to see the sport evolve the way it has. i LOVE old school stuff, parts, bikes etc...lol ive been looking for some old bonz cranks for a year and a half now..

long story short, i got a lot of respect for an old school purist like yourself..never thought of a smooth rim helping technique-wise but it actually makes a lot of sense..pretty cool IMO

Edited by PebbleWrestler

honest question, are people really still using tar? i always figured that once trials guys figured out how to get a good, consistently harsh grind, the tar wasnt necessary?

i assumed it was an old school thing you did because we hadn't thought of grinding your rims...