Define 'Trials Rider'

dave33

Are you interested in real trials riders or just people who ride street? When I say real trials I would say these are riders who compete in the sport!

He probably doesn't want hours of footage of men in tights and funny shoes.

See, being narrow minded works both ways.

Edited by Matthew62
  • Like 3

I'm just laughing at the reactions, I'm not narrow minded, I was expecting Ali to say performer/entertainer or some thing along those lines, after all that's what he does! Gets paid to entertain people !!

I'd say Ben Savage if you wanted to capture the athlete/rider aspect of it all

• Like 1

I'm just laughing at the reactions, I'm not narrow minded, I was expecting Ali to say performer/entertainer or some thing along those lines, after all that's what he does! Gets paid to entertain people !!

I'd say Ben Savage if you wanted to capture the athlete/rider aspect of it all

Ok, so people who ride comps are "real" riders, comps happen a few times a year, what are they 95% of the time when there isn't a comp? What about 95% of the riders in the country who don't ride comps, are they not "real" riders?

Are you saying Demo riders and street riders are putting in less effort?

I make a living by riding my trials bike, I did not when I was riding comps.

Its because you dont measure your sidehops ali...

Dave you narrow minded douche are you genuinely trying to say that Ali is not an athlete? Hes one of the few riders who manages to compete, win, and have fun at the same time. He takes his riding just as seriously as everybody else. and over the years has become one of the uks best riders.

Your like a 1950s male who stuck in his ways and disregards change.

(rimming over/)

Edited by Davetrials

Lol ok yea that's right! What ever you say!

That's like saying a kid who kicks a ball against a wall is a real footbal player like of man u team!

Comps are pretty much every week in the season ?

I'd say you lot are narrow minded

Any way pointless arguing about it

So by your logic, only comp riders are trials riders, the rest of us are just guys with weird bikes.

That makes virtually none of us on this forum trials riders.

Unfortunately it depends on your definition of the sport.

Football, is a team sport where people form teams and attempt to score by putting the ball in the other team's net.

Trials is riding a bike over obstacles.

So no, a kid kicking a ball against a wall isn't football, but anyone who rides their bike over something is technically doing trials, just like when you and your mates do 3 a side kicking a ball between piles of jackets it's technically football.

Lol ok yea that's right! What ever you say!

That's like saying a kid who kicks a ball against a wall is a real footbal player like of man u team!

Comps are pretty much every week in the season ?

I'd say you lot are narrow minded

Any way pointless arguing about it

so I am assuming you think you are a "real" trials rider then?

What if most of Man United's team didn't show up so the kid kicking a ball against his wall got a place in the first team?

I imagine for a lot of comp riders at the highest level being filmed extensively over the weekend of a comp might be a bit risky. Bearing in mind I've personally seen people riding sections the day before comps, seen people's parents modifying sections, seen people 5 but get away with it, seen people ride outside markers and get away with it - if you were getting watched the whole comp I'd imagine you're going to be a lot more likely to get spotted doing that, and then having a fuss kicked up about it...

Define being a 'real footballer'... Kids going out for a kickabout is 'playing football' (practising techniques etc.) and if they also play for a team (at any level) they're still playing football, with a competitive element.

Exactly the same with trials really, I go out 'for a bounce' just messing about and practising techniques, I used to compete (don't anymore) but I still call myself a trials rider, what else could I be bouncing around on a silly low geared bike?!

Your (lack of) logic is really quite amazing.

Ali I really don't think I'm a real trials rider, I do how never think people like Ben Savage is as I said before

And as for demo ridding no I don't think you put 100 percent of effort in!

The object of trials is getting over/up/ down an obstacle or section without putting your foot down ?? Please tell me I'm wrong!

No points for style! Or one handers, or rolling down it backwards on ur front wheel

Yes mark I agree but no point cheating your self??

Oh course some one who riders like Ali is very talented no taking that away from him!

Comp Trials -> Comp Trials Riders

Street Trials -> Street Trials Riders

Natural Trials -> Natural Trials Riders

TGS Trials -> TGS Trials Riders

The thing they have in common? They are all Trials Riders and all those forms of riding are forms of trials.

Are you seriously saying people like Ali and Ashton and the like don't put 100% effort into what they do when they're doing it? It's their livelihood, the way they make their living. Of course they do it as best they can.

Edited by JDâ„¢

The object of trials is getting over/up/ down an obstacle or section without putting your foot down ??

Yes... So someone who gets up/over/down an obstacle or section without putting a foot down but with added style, throwing in an X-up or doing a 360 out (while on a trials bike) isn't riding trials? Mmmkay.

If every trials rider was like you, I would not call myself a trials rider, I'd rather associate with people that don't compete and actually have fun and experiment a bit, rather then drink protein, wear lycra all round and critise people that are actually pushing the sport.

On topic though, what about something on Tartybikes?

Dave, saying I don't put 100% into my demos without even watching one is pretty outrageous!

Since doing shows I have pushed myself, I'll do stuff in shows I am scared of doing and wouldn't do normally (backflips off the 1ft kicker ramp, 11ft drops, balance beams, 360 drops and tyre taps off some of the higher boxes)

You know riders were styling things up back in the 90s? Back when they had bikes that were more than just expensive pogosticks, back when Akkers used to win the british champs on a bike that these days would be considered a pure street bike. He won comps AND made it look good. If I now entered a comp and manualed in sections, did x-ups and spins, would I then be a "real" trials rider?

Yes Adam now we are getting some where!

So why not a mix of how different styles of riders go about things!

Feel free to quote out where anyone said a mix wouldn't be a great idea? Only person not 'getting anywhere' here is you, with your blinkered comment of what is or isn't 'real' trials.