Ridden.it

GlynnP

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been super busy with work and other commitments. I will read into the options above and get back to you Revolver.

Yeah the site has only been optimised for Iphone currently. Its in work right now for androids, and other phones which support media queries. You can see here in the media queries table if your phone / browser is supported. (This work may take a little while with all the commitments I have right now).

On other news last night I / Ridden.it was shortlisted for a British Interactive Media Association Award in the student category. This is obviously great news for myself and the site, it has also given me the kick up the backside needed to make sure I make time each week to make the up dates needed to turn this site into a real asset to the community.

Sorry for the slow up-date stick with me and hopefully with your feedback and me having no life we can make something which benefits everyone.

BIMA AWARDS

Thanks

Glynn

Edited by GlynnP

A few Aberdeen Spots uploaded whilst i should be working!!

will try and get the majority of aberdeen and the surrounding area done. The site is really well done dude. Very impressed.

I will do my best to get the pictures updated as well with pictures more suited to the riding rather then generics of the interweb

Hi Glynn.

I've had a look around and i can't see a way of editing a spot? I added Southwark Cathedral in London some time ago, but it's recently been knocked down. A little part remains but it's mainly gone and I wondered if there is any way to edit your uploaded spots?

Cheers.

Hi Glynn.

I've had a look around and i can't see a way of editing a spot? I added Southwark Cathedral in London some time ago, but it's recently been knocked down. A little part remains but it's mainly gone and I wondered if there is any way to edit your uploaded spots?

Cheers.

Hi Matt, Thanks for bringing this up.

My original concept was to make make these editable at later dates. So it didn't become too much a wiki with people editing left right and center or didn't give certain people control over spots, This was to try and stop people setting up spots which are owned by other people (skate parks mainly) and then the user deciding they didn't like this spot anymore and then abusing their control.

I am now after seeing how people interact with the site thinking of changing this concept and giving the person who made the spot control over certain areas of the spot. I am not too sure what areas yet, but my original hope was that the feedback wall would be the perfect place for this sort of information.

If a spot is no longer there or has changed then you can write this on the feedback wall, this then allows users who may not be local but have heard of a spot to see, ohh ok that no longer exists. I know for myself I have been on trips before and got near a location only to ask a local where it as and they have told me its been knocked down or changed in some way. So this seemed a good way of stoping people form just deleted spots and removing vital and useful info.

Sorry, I find it hard to explain my logic behind why and how i am doing stuff, but I hope this makes sense.

The end of the day there was a aspect of experimentation behind the project into user experience and learning first hand how your users interact and adapting over time to provide a better experience. (similar to fb do with constant changes.)

Thanks

Glynn

I'm using internet explorer, i think it maybe just me not doing certain settings,according to java you go "tools - internet option - enable java"

yet there is no enable java for me, i shall try and download/re install java now :)

I think you mean javascript, not java. Search for that :)

Edit:

Glynn, you could use a framework called titanium to wrap the website up in a native iphone/ipad app for the appstore aswell :)

Everything seems based on the uk right now, will it go international any time?

Edited by omgnoseat

Can you not add spots anywhere? Just add you local spots and tell your friends about the website! Obviously it's only in English at the moment which may limit the amount of international users, something to look at Glynn?

Can you not add spots anywhere? Just add you local spots and tell your friends about the website! Obviously it's only in English at the moment which may limit the amount of international users, something to look at Glynn?

When dragging the map, the map resets it's position back to the uk on mouse up, so it's not really possible to get to the spots.

And when I try to search for dutch cities (Amsterdam for example) I always get Norwich centered on the map.

The language barrier is not a problem :)

Glynn, you could use a framework called titanium to wrap the website up in a native iphone/ipad app for the appstore aswell :)

Hey,

Yeah I have looked at Titanium and PhoneGap, just working out which one is best and what features to included and they wouldn't allow me to have a login. Well not using the current login I have as it used php and mysql, correct me if I am wrong I know more about PhoneGap than Titanium.

Yeah it is going to start to open up soon to Europe and then wider. As I had to rush this for uni deadline I am now making all the changes I wish I had time for then. So i am hoping to get a lot nicer experience finished by spring, I know its annoying all the thing people want aren't in there yet but hopefully people realise this is one man coding in his spare time after a full day of coding at work.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

A number of other spots added. including some made famous by danny in his videos.

One thing i find a little 'bugging' is on the Add Spot page, can you have the choose location bits etc above the map? or at least have a right click option on the map so that i can add the location that way, rather than having to go past the map to type in a location.

just being a little pernickity to be honest

Hi Ben,

That is a very worth while point. I did play with the best position but couldn't decide. I am not thinking putting it to the right or left of the map might be nice.

I am very lucky to have a nice 27" screen or 17" laptop so i imagine its not as nice on a smaller screen as you said you have to scroll down to it so I can see that would be a pain.

Thanks for the feedback and the spots :D

Hey man,

To be honest it is more just the screen I am working on. The works laptop monitor isnt the greatest but nevermind, as I said, it would be more my personal preference to have it above and an option to right click the map and 'place arrow here'.

Maybe thats a future update ;).

One other thing I thought might be nice was a further step in the 'add spot' feature;

A description box.

This way you could include the type of riding available here, some key features of each spot etc. The reason for this would be that many people ride different types of trials (as an example) and sometimes when you arrive at a spot there isnt much for certain people to ride. It would be nice to know in advance if there is riding available.

Now I understand that if people have pictures available of each spot then it would become fairly obvious and the description box would just be a nice addition.

Anyway i know you are probably busy, so ill stop with all the requests and just keep adding spots.

No they are all valid points so keep them coming. The description box was in the original scope but was left out as I felt the feedback wall could provide this. Since monitoring how people interact with the site and profiles I now think it would be nice to have a "adders description" which would allow the person who added the location to say what they think about it and this could stay at the top of the page and not move down like it would if it was a comment.

All very good ideas which will get into the next release once I get some time to work on this. Next few weeks I am hoping to set aside some time each week to work on it. So we can have lots of improved features for the new year and the better weather.

This could impact us. http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2011/10/introduction-of-usage-limits-to-maps.html

Google are now going to charge for the use of their maps api once it gets passed a certain number of calls. I want this site to grow but people please dont send more than 25,000 map calls per day ;)

No they are all valid points so keep them coming. The description box was in the original scope but was left out as I felt the feedback wall could provide this. Since monitoring how people interact with the site and profiles I now think it would be nice to have a "adders description" which would allow the person who added the location to say what they think about it and this could stay at the top of the page and not move down like it would if it was a comment.

All very good ideas which will get into the next release once I get some time to work on this. Next few weeks I am hoping to set aside some time each week to work on it. So we can have lots of improved features for the new year and the better weather.

This could impact us. http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2011/10/introduction-of-usage-limits-to-maps.html

Google are now going to charge for the use of their maps api once it gets passed a certain number of calls. I want this site to grow but people please dont send more than 25,000 map calls per day ;)

Once you're on 25k API calls a day you'll be having fun with Adsense or similar anyway ;)

Ahh. I love the idea! but please make it international! It would be an awesome tool to plan a road trip through different countries, or to find spots nearby when out traveling...

Make it international, and add some AdSense or some other ads.!! (But dont exaggerate the advertising, keep the page nice and tidy as it is now.)

Hi Joachim

There is a plan to go international with it, possibly starting with europe and then taking it wider over a short period of time. I just have to over come a few issues first and want to make sure I do this is the best way. I need to make sure when a user searches that the search is localised to the users location. For instance at the moment if it wasn't restricted to the UK and you search for Kent you get taken to America when you might have been looking for Kent, UK. So I have a way of doing this now so just need to implement it and test it.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Glynn

Right you guys have been super busy and I cant thank you all soo much. The map is now starting to get insanely busy.

My first update (which I think someone on here suggested earlier in the thread) is I a hoping over the next week to look into using Cluster markers to clean up the map, If that doesn't work out as well as I hope then I will figure out a new way to filter / organise the markers.

Once that is done I hope to also open this up to a wider audience, not decided yet but I think it will be in stages starting with Europe. Joachim I will be in contact with you regarding this if you fancy helping out.

Thanks

Glynn

Once that is done I hope to also open this up to a wider audience, not decided yet but I think it will be in stages starting with Europe. Joachim I will be in contact with you regarding this if you fancy helping out.

Thanks

Glynn

yea man! i will definitely help you out as much as i can! love the concept!