Rip Andy Hill (Tank_Rider)

haydon_peter

Hi everyone, some bad news I'm afraid.

Yesterday Andy Hill passed away at 4:15pm, it was peaceful and all of his family were around him.

Andy spent a large amount of his cycling 'career' riding bike trials, he was a Moderator on this forum and also got through to the finals of MBUK's Hop Idol competition in 2006 (I think it was 2006 anyway!). The last few years of his cycling were focussed on XC, 4X and DH.

Last year Andy was diagnosed with Bowel Cancer, he had to have his Large Intestine removed and a Colostomy Bag fitted. Andy then had to undergo strong Chemotherapy treatment but sadly it was unsuccessful and at the end of March this year he was given 6-9 months left to live. While Andy was undergoing the Chemotherapy he remained positive and tried his best to continue a normal life, right up until the end he was still working and cycling in between his treatment.

Andy and his Wife started writing a blog at the start of the treatment, for those of you interested it's http://ileostomy.wordpress.com/

Pete / Tic

X

Funeral Details

A message from Andy's wife, Ses:

Andy's funeral will be held at Garston Crematorium on Thursday 26th May, followed by a service of thanksgiving at St Albans Vineyard at 2pm. Please wear bright colours - no black.

The crematorium is going to be pretty tight for space and so we'll have to invite people to that separately, but the service at Vineyard is totally open - whether you love Andy, love someone who loves him or just read the blog - if you want to come, please come. I really, really mean that.

Please find parking in the surrounding residential streets and ride your bike to the church.

(We'll make sure the gates are closed and there's someone watching the bikes during the service.)

Please let us know if you're coming so we know how many to cater for.

Link to Facebook event

Edited by haydon_peter

When he was first diagnosed I remember him being really down (Understandably!) and we spoke on MSN for hours about stuff and I tried to cheer him up - never actually met him but he seemed like a nice guy.

Cancer claims another victim, one who's far too young!

RIP Andy x

This is pretty damn far from the outcome that I had hoped for and, in many ways, expected. Andy fought hard, and although I only chatted to him a few times online I thought luck would be on his side. Unfortunately we can't rely on that, and we're another rider down. Rest in peace.

That is sad news, my wife works as a bowel cancer screening nurse but unfortunately they only screen senior citizens due to higher incidence and lack of funding to open up the age range. She tells me its third most common cancer but receives very low publicity so many are unaware that they may be in danger. She goes on to say if your family has cancer history and/or you are seeing symptoms (i.e. blood in stool, change in bowel habit over the last 3 weeks, fatigue for no apparant reason, abdominal pain - for more see http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/) then go and see your GP asap.

Tim, Andy had been suffering from Ulcerative Colitis since he started University so there was always a small risk it could develop into Bowel Cancer.

The funeral is this Thursday, details added to the first post.

Ses is putting together a photo album so if anyone has any nice photos of Andy please could they email them through to haydon_peter at hotmail dot com and I will get them printed out and pass them on to her :)

That is terrible news.

I did see this mentioned on someone's facebook status but suprisingly took me a while to find this thread as just assumed it was somebody else.

Met Andy at a DJ ride years ago, not even gonna try and pretend I knew him at all, but I do remember well him being well received on here, and a nice chap indeed. Thoughts for who he has left behind.

Rich

Can't believe I've just seen this. I used to have a cut-out from MBUK on my wall for years with a photo of him and the other competitors in the Hop Idol competition. My thoughts go out to all his family and friends.