Street/dirt Jump Suspension

Jimbob 2705

There is the Marzocchi Dirt Jumper range (often shortened to E.g. DJ3) and the Marzocchi DJ range or DirtJam range which confusingly aren't the same and aren't as good. I'm not sure about the timeframe of this, some time around 2007 they brought in the DJ range as a budget option.

Thanks for that information Tomm! (Y)

Luckily, all of the Forks which I am interested in, all say Dirt Jumper!

Does anyone know what steerer length I will want roughly? My headtube length will be 110mm

I have seen some quite nice 2010 DJ2's in white, with Black Stantions - I take it these will be fairly rubbish, as they are not Pre-06?

Thanks and ATB

James

I've got some old (maybe even 03) Marzocchi Dirt Jumper II's. They're fantastic - i use them everyday and don't have to do anything to them. Unlike a lot of bike stuff they just ocntinue to work so i can't complain.

They are 100mm travel, however if i were to buy some sus forks for street/dirt jumping now i'd look at 80mm as i think 100mm is a bit too much.

Just to throw this out there - I have a set of 2009 Manitou Minute Absolute Elite IT forks in white (ridden about 8 times from new)which were the top of the range 140mm air unlimited travel freeride fork (see HERE for review) that had faulty internals and were swapped to run a coil.

They now deliver about 90mm of super smooth travel and work perfectly well for DJ/4x. I bought a new pair to go on my Intense 5.5 EVP.

Anyways, if you're interested they're up for sale at £140 posted, come with a firm and medium spring supplied by Mojo suspension.

No, they wont be rubbish. The whole pre 06 thing is just how it was simple and not much to break. If you look after your 2010s they will be fine, you just need to service them and run them properly.

Ok, thanks for that!

I am tempted to get the 2010 Forks, as I don't think I am going to do be able to tell the difference between the 06's and 10's - as I am not that much of a expert.

What do you mean by 'run them properly'?

Thanks and ATB

James

Just to throw this out there - I have a set of 2009 Manitou Minute Absolute Elite IT forks in white (ridden about 8 times from new)which were the top of the range 140mm air unlimited travel freeride fork (see HERE for review) that had faulty internals and were swapped to run a coil.

They now deliver about 90mm of super smooth travel and work perfectly well for DJ/4x. I bought a new pair to go on my Intense 5.5 EVP.

Anyways, if you're interested they're up for sale at £140 posted, come with a firm and medium spring supplied by Mojo suspension.

Thanks for the offer.

I am a bit worried about buying forks which have had a previous problem - especially a serious one!

And they are at the top of my price range. I don't what they would be like with the coils - as no one else has had the same as you done?

Thanks and ATB

James

I can vouch for Nick. I almost brought those forks for my trail bike but needed longer travel. The Manitou Elite Air cartridge was duff from the word go in a huge batch of them. I believe the best thing for them was to have them swapped to coil. Which again if im correct Nick had done through Mojo Tuning on warranty.

There is the Marzocchi Dirt Jumper range (often shortened to E.g. DJ3) and the Marzocchi DJ range or DirtJam range which confusingly aren't the same and aren't as good. I'm not sure about the timeframe of this, some time around 2007 they brought in the DJ range as a budget option.

Dirt jams were only made for about 2 years i think, i had some dirt jam comps on my old 24seven and loved them just as good as any of the dirt jumpers that were about at that time.

Probably about 180mm. Basically you add up the headtube length, plus the stack height of the headset (approx 12-15mm for most normal headsets) and the height of any spacers you want to use, plus the height of the stem. That total needs to be 3-4mm more than the steerer length.

Second hand forks are worth less if the steerer is less than 200mm.

Probably about 180mm. Basically you add up the headtube length, plus the stack height of the headset (approx 12-15mm for most normal headsets) and the height of any spacers you want to use, plus the height of the stem. That total needs to be 3-4mm more than the steerer length.

Second hand forks are worth less if the steerer is less than 200mm.

Thanks Tomm.

I have seen most stems that I am looking at are around 50mm, so that's 160mm + stack height of the headset and spacers.

Just say 175mm + Spacers.

Is there anyway way to work out how many spacers I will want?

Thanks and ATB

James

• 2 weeks later...

Depends what frame. If your running 80mm i doubt you would notice much difference.

Custom Frame, with the following Geo probably :

Head Angle: 72 degrees once forks have sagged

Chainstays: 365mm

BB Rise: +25mm once forks have sagged

Seat Angle: 72 degrees

Reach (from center of top of head tube to center of bb): 660mm

What do you think?

In terms of performance, would 80mm and 100mm be the same or similar?

Thanks and ATB

James

Marzocchi Dirt Jumper range. Pre 06 if you want them to work well.

I thought it was 07 when their production moved from Italy?

Either way pre 2006/7 DJ series fork will be spot on. You can get DJI's for a tad over £100 now. if you want a QR though the II or III are just as good.

• 4 months later...

Nah, it's not that big a deal, I just don't get how people like danchandler here can be bothered to find and bump stuff this old!

Aha yeah, it can be quite anoying when people bump a 4 month old thred :P

Edited by wilf