Photography

TheSnowden

Can't comment on the photos as I'm not experienced enough to do so, but quit the 'us' lark. The internet is personal, and you are running something which is just you, not 'us'. It doesn't make you look bigger, it makes you look pompus.

Don't mention the public transport thing either, it'll just put people off and they don't need to know that until they get in contact to book you - why put barriers in front of contact before it's even happened?

What's the point in releasing a site which sells stuff, without a contact form that works? Just leave it out until you can get it to work, just leaving your email address for the time being.

On that note, take out the testimonials page till you've got some - it screams of 'I've never actually worked for anyone'.

Sorry if that all seems harsh, it's meant to be constructive so that you can make the best of what you've got (Y)

Edited by JD™

Can't comment on the photos as I'm not experienced enough to do so, but quit the 'us' lark. The internet is personal, and you are running something which is just you, not 'us'. It doesn't make you look bigger, it makes you look pompus.

Don't mention the public transport thing either, it'll just put people off and they don't need to know that until they get in contact to book you - why put barriers in front of contact before it's even happened?

What's the point in releasing a site which sells stuff, without a contact form that works? Just leave it out until you can get it to work, just leaving your email address for the time being.

On that note, take out the testimonials page till you've got some - it screams of 'I've never actually worked for anyone'.

Sorry if that all seems harsh, it's meant to be constructive so that you can make the best of what you've got (Y)

Hey JD cheers for the feedback, i'll delete the sales/tesimonials page, and the contact 'us' isn't working cos the site hasn't been in creation for more than 7 days, as for the 'About Us' and 'Contact Us' i've tried but god knows how to change it.. i'll keep trying!

Personally I think you should have just made a flickr page, maybe bought a domain name for £8 and forwarded it to that. You've only been doing it for 6 months yet one of your main tabs is "interested in hiring me?" Also why have you got a calendar on there, as if people are lining up to see when you are free to work? Sorry sounds harsh but get just get out there and enjoy your photography, build up your knowledge and kit then make your own website later when you have a stronger set of photos. I think it's far too early to start a website shouting HIRE ME when your clearly just starting out, good luck

Personally I think you should have just made a flickr page, maybe bought a domain name for £8 and forwarded it to that. You've only been doing it for 6 months yet one of your main tabs is "interested in hiring me?" Also why have you got a calendar on there, as if people are lining up to see when you are free to work? Sorry sounds harsh but get just get out there and enjoy your photography, build up your knowledge and kit then make your own website later when you have a stronger set of photos. I think it's far too early to start a website shouting HIRE ME when your clearly just starting out, good luck

yeah does sound harsh. im starting out and new to it.. not stupid. thanks for the advice.

Also beware of someone hiring you (we all know how people look for the cheapest option) and finding yourself out of your depth. For example, no backup equipment, not able to shoot in certain conditions, etc, etc.

Yep, will near that in mind, it's more aimed at friends at the moment in all honesty..

Just want to throw this out there. Maybe you could get a bunch of business cards printed with your information. Rather than waiting for people to hire you, go out to different events and take lots of pictures. Kids events especially, because parents like pictures of their kids. Look professional, and then approach people and let them know that you've been taking pictures and give them your business card. If they want to purchase a picture then great, and if not you will still be getting your name out there. (also, you might update your website to hold photos from each event so that the people can view the ones they might like to purchase)

This may or may not be of any help at all, but I figured I would share. I am a similar young photographer and have contemplated different ways to make $$$ from it.

Edited by pkb4112

Just want to throw this out there. Maybe you could get a bunch of business cards printed with your information. Rather than waiting for people to hire you, go out to different events and take lots of pictures. Kids events especially, because parents like pictures of their kids. Look professional, and then approach people and let them know that you've been taking pictures and give them your business card. If they want to purchase a picture then great, and if not you will still be getting your name out there. (also, you might update your website to hold photos from each event so that the people can view the ones they might like to purchase)

This may or may not be of any help at all, but I figured I would share. I am a similar young photographer and have contemplated different ways to make $$$ from it.

I like this idea, cheers man

By the way, have fun dealing with the questions/glares when people see you taking unsolicited photos of kids :P

This is one of those moments when a joke wouldn't be socially acceptable! Hahaha most places require you to fill in forms etc like I had to for the water polo tourney

• 1 month later...

Great shots mate, and I've had my Flickr page for a while now. Take a looksy! The link is in my signature :)

WOW! These are really good, how long have you been doing photography for? I've done it for 2 years as a GCSE, got a B grade and now I'm studying it at college at an A level.

My favorite: http://www.flickr.com/photos/george-edwards/6124816940/in/set-72157623449018519/