New Monty M5 Carbon 2013

G_!

How can they put a bash-plate on this? I don't know all that much about materials, but carbon tubing is NOT good at knocks to the side of it, from what I understand.

Land on that plate, all the force goes through the BB-yoke, and (more importantly) that one bolt on the downtube. Surely that'll completely ruin it with one semi-forceful landing?

The same way that all companies still keep putting bashplates on super-light bikes. I genuinely don't get it. Bashrings on mods are awesome, and especially now people want lighter and lighter frames you're reducing the chances of a frame snapping by welding a massive stress riser on the down tube (and chainstays as well to an extent). I mean even from the outright "Let's make shit light" point of view, why would you choose a 150g+ bashplate when you could just use a 15g bashring?

The only company who seems to be trying to do something about it is Koxx with the Sky 2 mod frame, but even then - just run a bashring! Everyone's into their UCI these days so surely it'd make sense unless you happen to like a weaker frame, a heavier bike and less clearance...

The same way that all companies still keep putting bashplates on super-light bikes. I genuinely don't get it. Bashrings on mods are awesome, and especially now people want lighter and lighter frames you're reducing the chances of a frame snapping by welding a massive stress riser on the down tube (and chainstays as well to an extent). I mean even from the outright "Let's make shit light" point of view, why would you choose a 150g+ bashplate when you could just use a 15g bashring?

The only company who seems to be trying to do something about it is Koxx with the Sky 2 mod frame, but even then - just run a bashring! Everyone's into their UCI these days so surely it'd make sense unless you happen to like a weaker frame, a heavier bike and less clearance...

I absolutely agree with you. I believe Monty keeps putting bashplates since they are more interested in BIU than UCI at the moment (which I think is wrong), so they need a "big" (and heavy) bashplate. (N)

3556130641_23e61d571b_b.jpg

Is that made of wood? :giggle:

I like the look of that new monty it is cool, it's a shame it will be a stoopid price.

Probably alot of work goes into making one so that will have to be priced in.

Edit: Agree totally with Mark about bashplates, I rekon it's because the kids love a bashplate makes it look like a trials bike.

Edited by Matt Vandart

Its such a breathe of fresh air to see monty changing things up and moving forward. The trials industry is way behind in terms of technology compared to road/XC/down hill etc which have all seen the use of carbon fibre over the last 10 years. I cant wait to see one of these in action, imagine Dani Comas throwing one of them around at 6.7 kgs!

Also the people saying how its going to break....get a clue and realise a bike like this is not meant for anyone other than Elite riders that are not going to be bashers learning to do drop gaps. Something like this is what pushes the sport even further.

Why is it that every time people see carbon fibre they assume it's going to break? Mountain bikes have had carbon frames for around 10 years, Moto GP bikes and F1 cars are made with lots of carbon fibre, and it's practically the norm for road bikes to have carbon frames now.

It's good stuff.

I had a pair of carbon forks once, best I ever had, and I snapped a pair of Trialtechs. :P

• Like 1

Moto GP bikes and F1 cars are made with lots of carbon fibre, and it's practically the norm for road bikes to have carbon frames now.

Generally they don't hit their downtubes or chainstays on hard objects all that often though, or don't get scraped down objects that often - activities that'd usually be fairly detrimental to carbon. Having said that though this falls into the same category as the Try-All carbon forks. They're not for everyone, but they're not really supposed to be.

The cranks scare me though :P

Generally they don't hit their downtubes or chainstays on hard objects all that often though, or don't get scraped down objects that often - activities that'd usually be fairly detrimental to carbon. Having said that though this falls into the same category as the Try-All carbon forks. They're not for everyone, but they're not really supposed to be.

The cranks scare me though :P

Some riders just don't though. I've never missed a sidehop and hit the chainstay, or dented a downtube. The only dents I did were little ones when I ended up and my arse and the bike landed on it's own.

It might only be an option to 5% of trials riders, but seeing as it'll cost over £2.5k at a guess, that's probably about right?

• 9 months later...