New Onza Models

Mike Poyzer @ Onza

Hold on, is the weight real?

I saw this on tarty first and if you look in their spec it seems they've made a bit of a hiccup: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/26_inch_frames/onza_limey_4/c14p11701.html :giggle:

I see nothing wrong with writting the weight on a frame personally, but it should probably be accurate if it's being broadcasted like that (N)

Edited by onza pro series guy
  • Like 1

I saw this on tarty first and if you look in their spec it seems they've made a bit of a hiccup: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/26_inch_frames/onza_limey_4/c14p11701.html :giggle:

I see nothing wrong with writting the weight on a frame personally, but it should probably be accurate if it's being broadcasted like that (N)

If its on a different set of scales though it probally would be wrong. You could probally get a 100 different weights if you used a 100 different scales so it never really going to be accurate.

Oh god, not keen on those graphics at all! If Onza are going to aim for high end frames and that sort of market, they need to make it look like a high end frame. The geo looks really good, but if you looked at that frame not knowing what 'Limey 4' meant you'd think it was entry level!

First of all,that geo isn´t anything great in my opinion,it´s waaaay too short,second of all,the graphics are just fine,nothing horrific.

First of all,that geo isn´t anything great in my opinion,it´s waaaay too short,second of all,the graphics are just fine,nothing horrific.

I wouldn't say it's "waaaay" too short. It's 10mm shorter reach than a Koxx Sky 2 and 15mm shorter than a Slate XL. Who is to say they aren't waaaaay too long? Guess the proof will be in the actual riding.

• Like 1

If its on a different set of scales though it probally would be wrong. You could probally get a 100 different weights if you used a 100 different scales so it never really going to be accurate.

Very true, but surely this sort of little embarrisment could have been avoided sooo easily. Just seems a little bit pointless to me to broadcast something that might not be 100% accurate or is prone to inaccuracy very easily like you could get'100 different weights if you used a 100 different scales' and not every frame can be perfectly identical - a little bit more weld or small edges of metal at joins, even small fragments of metal left in tubes from production could and wold add up on each frame and blow that fairly precise number out of the water so to speak.

I was going to say that the frame weight would depend on the altitude and location on the planet at which the measurements were made, and that would be right... except that it's the mass which Onza have included on the frame ;).

Edit: I think we need to start including tolerances on these frame decals Joe. 1090±1, +70±0.5, 380±0.5, 72±0.2 WEIGHT 1.46±0.056 would be far more acceptable :P

Edit 2: Actually, on a serious note, what sort of tolerances are frames in general built to, geometry wise? Obviously mass can vary slightly depending on lots of factors but lengths and angles wise what sort of range do you expect?

• Like 1

Sorry the weight printed should not have gone to press, a little error in the far east. The actual weight is in raw finish. My bad and will not be printed on future models. The geo is quite handy I think as the amount of times the rider is asked at a comp "whats the geo?" I ju.st thought it would save explanation. Sorry if it offends. As Mark said the graphics are more subtle in the flesh, The Purple finish would have made it around the £499 mark. We wanted to make it as affordable as possible. High BB's are where the market is at, If you want a lower one then there is the Genesis, Lower still then there is a Limey 3 , Lower still then I'm sure I can dig a T-Rex frame out for you.

• Like 3

Really does look a lot nicer as a full build. Is that Joe's bike?

I'm sure the short reach would be more than offset with a mod stem?

Can't wait to see one in the flesh.

The reach is only 'short' because the BB's so high. You're basically compacting the front end simply because you're moving the BB closer, without really making the front end itself shorter. A 20" stem would probably be a good shout. Pretty standard on 26" Sky 2 bikes (I think they're even coming with mod stems as standard from Jan 2012 onwards), so bearing in mind this has virtually the same BB height I think you'd need something similar to not get the doing-a-handstand feeling.

I think the genesis frame only deal looks like a pretty good option to me. BB not too high and looks alright, seen it on tarty though and there's no geo info on there, any reason why not mark or are you waiting to get one in stock to measure yourself to be sure??

I think the genesis frame only deal looks like a pretty good option to me. BB not too high and looks alright, seen it on tarty though and there's no geo info on there, any reason why not mark or are you waiting to get one in stock to measure yourself to be sure??

We only put things on the site we have in stock 99% of the time! I've added the geo now. I'd measured it up and had a note next to my keyboard with the geo on, but forgot to add it on to the end of the description. Had someone phone up earlier about it which reminded me, so I've added that on now.

The Genesis geometry seems pretty good too. Not too wild/out there - think that'd be my preferred of the two numbers-wise.

Can't blame the manufacturer for people being morons, but when people realise +35 on a stock is perfect the sun is sure to have his hat on. I guess it'll be a few months before the high bb trend goes out of fashion and we get back to the decent geos.

• Like 1