Replacing Car Keys

Ali C

One for the car people here.

I have a a Peugeot Expert van with remote central locking however one of the buttons on my key fob doesn't work. I want to replace the fob to get working remote locking but I don't know how this is done.

Can I buy another Peugeot fob (not identical) and get it cut?

How does the car recognise a new fob?

Who cuts car keys and do you need a code or can they just copy it?

I have had a quick search online but I couldn't find any specifics. I would apreciate any help you guys can give.

Ali

A timpson's should be able to do it, there's a chip in the fob which is how the immobilizer and central locking know it's the right key. I always assumed they can copy the code from one key to another, although maybe you have to supply the code. My vauxhall came with a little card with codes on it, including a key code. Maybe check your car's manual to see if it mentions that, or search on peugeot forums.

When I broke my electronic key (a Reanault Clio) a few years ago (about eight, actually), I went to the local renault dealership and they had to take the metal key part form the old one and put it into a new fob, which they then had to programme for my car, all for the princely sum of 130 quid >_< When they quoted me the price I asked for a simple plastic one that I could just use as a key and do away with the central locking, but they said that they no longer made those or something.

With hindsight, going to the Renault dealer was a mistake, as they're always more expensive. A quick Google search for "replacement electronic car keys turned up a few places that do it, like this place in Southport, so I guess it won't be to hard to find somewhere near you that offers a similar service at lower prices than your local Peugeot dealership would.

I hope you manage to get it sorted without getting stung for too much!

Edited by Ben Swales

The Cheapest option will likely be to fit an aftermarket remote central locking kit. Something like this kit is generally pretty easy to retrofit, and any key-cutting place (like timpsons) will be able to cut the blank just using your old key as a template. The kit uses your central locking motors, and just replaces the factory receiver that signals them to lock, you can also wire it to close all the windows when you lock it which can be kind of useful. Plus this way if you loose/break a key in the future it's about £10 to replace.

(Edited because I forgot the link blushing.gif)

Edited by RobinJI

erm, most auto locksmiths should be able to program a transponder key fob to work with your current vehicle. (reading up on it quickly, most peugeot fobs are programmable to suit most vehicles, so a 206 key fob off ebay, and £25 to an auto locksmith to cut a blank blade and program a key and your away.)

You can pull the chip out of the old key, get a new plain key made and stick it to it, it honestly works.

That'd work for the immobiliser, but it wouldn't make the central locking work.

Fish, I hadn't realised you could get that done as cheep as that, fair play, sounds like the best course of action.

That'd work for the immobiliser, but it wouldn't make the central locking work.

Fish, I hadn't realised you could get that done as cheep as that, fair play, sounds like the best course of action.

the guy i use locally, charges £40 for a new universal fob and reprogram (he has a selection, so generally he will have one which will work on your frequency). or £15 to program an existing fob to a different vehicle(but luckily peugeots can be programmed multiple times). I assume his mark up on the fobs is large, and that he doesnt have to supply any goods, some of his earnings for reprogramming skips the part of it going through the taxman.

• 4 years later...

I asked my local ford dealer for a quote on an additional key for a fiesta and was quoted about £250.

From what i read Timpson are about £100 and clone your existing key rather than coding the new key to the car.

Some second hand keys can be reprogrammed and others not so be careful going that route.

With ford you have to have at least 2 working keys to program another without requiring a computer.