Creating A Pdf

Jimbob 2705

Hi All,

I need to make a PDF for someone, but I am unsure how to go about it, as I just realised that Acrobat Pro only creates PDF's from JPEG's or Documents - Not from scratch.

Now I need to make a PDF which advertises the company, so I will want to put pictures, text in this PDF but in a professional way. (Not just plain text and pictures)

How is the best way to go about this? Should I create a image in Photoshop then export it as a PDF? Or can I do what I want in Acrobat Pro?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks and ATB

James

You don't want to be constructing pdf's in Acrobat...mainly because you can't really.

If you've got Photoshop, then use it and save as a PDF, but if you're working with type then I wouldn't recommend it as it'll rasterize the artwork including text. BY all means compose the photographic/image elements in Photoshop then save them, and construct the wording in Illustrator. This then will not rasterize the text meaning it will remain legible and people will be able to copy out of the pdf.

You don't want to be constructing pdf's in Acrobat...mainly because you can't really.

If you've got Photoshop, then use it and save as a PDF, but if you're working with type then I wouldn't recommend it as it'll rasterize the artwork including text. BY all means compose the photographic/image elements in Photoshop then save them, and construct the wording in Illustrator. This then will not rasterize the text meaning it will remain legible and people will be able to copy out of the pdf.

Thanks a lot! It will be a combination of Photos and Text.

Ahh, so by doing the text in Illustrator it will allow people to select the text?

Thanks and ATB

James

Yep, create in Photoshop or Illustrator, and you should be able to save to PDF directly from there.

EDIT: Beaten to it...

Thanks JD!

I'll have to learn how to use Illustrator then!

Thanks and ATB

James

Yeah, exactly.

Anything you create in photoshop will be converted to dots (rasterized) and if you place text in a document, it too will be converted to dots, it'll in effect be an image as opposed to a piece of text. That's how pixelation can occur.

With images it doesn't matter as they are captured as dots, so photos + photoshop go together in perfect harmony.

Illustrator is a vector programme which creates graphics, shapes and text as mathematical equations made up of lines, which are not constructed of dots, therefore will not pixelate. This is ideal when working with text as it allows a screen resolution pdf that's emailable etc to still have perfectly clear, unaffected text. It also means pdf viewers will recognise text, as text (not an image) therefore it can be selected and copied out etc....

If you can work in this manner, then it is ideal. If your images require no editing, just placing, resizing etc then I suggest you work entirely in illustrator as it's just that bit quicker and easier. If you need filters, colour changes, proper editing of the images then start in photoshop then go to illustrator.

If you do create the image section in photoshop then save it as a psd as Illustrator will be able to open this and recognise layers etc. Once you applied the text in Illustrator and are finished then go to save as, and select pdf. Set your quality for the required purpose (whether printing or placing online, emailing etc) and you should be good to go.

Yeah, exactly.

Anything you create in photoshop will be converted to dots (rasterized) and if you place text in a document, it too will be converted to dots, it'll in effect be an image as opposed to a piece of text. That's how pixelation can occur.

With images it doesn't matter as they are captured as dots, so photos + photoshop go together in perfect harmony.

Illustrator is a vector programme which creates graphics, shapes and text as mathematical equations made up of lines, which are not constructed of dots, therefore will not pixelate. This is ideal when working with text as it allows a screen resolution pdf that's emailable etc to still have perfectly clear, unaffected text. It also means pdf viewers will recognise text, as text (not an image) therefore it can be selected and copied out etc....

If you can work in this manner, then it is ideal. If your images require no editing, just placing, resizing etc then I suggest you work entirely in illustrator as it's just that bit quicker and easier. If you need filters, colour changes, proper editing of the images then start in photoshop then go to illustrator.

If you do create the image section in photoshop then save it as a psd as Illustrator will be able to open this and recognise layers etc. Once you applied the text in Illustrator and are finished then go to save as, and select pdf. Set your quality for the required purpose (whether printing or placing online, emailing etc) and you should be good to go.

Matthew, That is a huge help!

I will probably start in Photoshop, as I do have to edit the photos a bit, then I'll go to Illustrator!

Thanks a lot!!

Sounds like you've got it sussed! Give me a shout if you get stuck.

Thanks for that - Means a lot!

Have fun with the Adobe CS suite, the possibilities are endless and you can lose hours on it.

Brilliant piece of kit

Thanks for that - I'm sure I will hopefully!

I have got the Adobe CS 5.5 Design Standard, so there are quite a few things to learn!