Isis Vs. Square Taper

Jimbob 2705

I've never had any problems with square taper in the last 20 years of riding, either with bearings or snapped axles, I'm not particularly hard on parts in general though. If you want the bike then I would say go for it, if you destroy the BB then its only a few quid for a shimano un54, theyre bombproof and last forever although a touch heavy. If you find you keep going through decent square taper BBs then your only option is to go for an ISIS or external setup.

I find ISIS to be stiffer than square taper, and lighter, and stronger, and the bearings last longer, but that said they do cost a fair bit more.

The advantages are so small though that if my current bike was square taper, I wouldn't bother upgrading. However if you decide to buy lighter/stronger/posher crankarms, I'd upgrade to ISIS.

• Like 1

I find ISIS to be stiffer than square taper, and lighter, and stronger, and the bearings last longer, but that said they do cost a fair bit more.:::<<<True Story

Square taper is old news. It'll work but won't be as stiff as an ISIS version hands down.

2 different cranks i had. raceface turbine lp square taper: review: good no problems. Stripped out small chainring bolt holes becuase they loosened up unnoticed and the bolts tore out of the crank. Could still helicoil them if i wanted i guess...

Currently Race face turbine lp ISIS:: review: same as square taper only noticibly stiffer due to updated stiffer design. The axle is larger in diameter. Crank arms get a better bite onto the spindle due to design. Go with ISIS if you can you wont regret it. Not sure on weights though

Edited by Philly_Biker