New Tensile Freewheel Project

Mike Poyzer @ Onza

Just thought I'd show you this new project we are working on for a new trials freewheel. 108 clicks with a splined interface and lockring. New custom made Tensile cranks to follow shortly. No more stripped threads on your cranks and no more freewheels wedged on so tightly that you cant get them off. Coupled with a fully servicable design with all parts available, there will be no excuse for not maintaining them. Availability probably mid summer.

post-790-0-15668500-1331658102_thumb.jpg

post-790-0-23660900-1331658120_thumb.jpg

post-790-0-91662200-1331658136_thumb.jpg

post-790-0-65280200-1331658154_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Cool stuff. I've thought about this for years, but it does have the potential to bring up a few issues as well as solving another.

Have you had to sacrifice any bearing/ratchet sizes to allow it to clear the (presumably larger) interface at all?

Edit; That was terribly worded, but yeah.

Does the lockring have opposite threads so that it won't loosen when riding?

Also, is it possible to make a better lock ring removal tool than that small four pin design? I am pretty sure of people not being able to remove the freewheel because they have damaged the pin holes!

I like it, got to agree with Ben on an alternative lock ring tool. BUt then it's choosing a tool type that is widely used in bike shops and people have in their tool box.

Next a fixed rear hub, with wide flange spacing designed to take a HG splined sprocket? :D

The Frewheel is 108. Lockring removal is under review. With threadlock there should be no problem. Don't forget that with the splined interface, the lockring is not under any torsional load.

The Tensile Cranks will be a brand new design to go with this freewheel. There may be more than one new Tensile crank, several designs have been under test and review.

If an already existing tool couldn't be utilised to fit, even making a custom tool (like the Hope borecap tools, or old Echo external BB tool) would be fine, buy the bb and get the little tool in with it. But I agree the pins are a bad design.

Overall though props for trying to make it work out (Y)

Does the lockring have opposite threads so that it won't loosen when riding?

Also, is it possible to make a better lock ring removal tool than that small four pin design? I am pretty sure of people not being able to remove the freewheel because they have damaged the pin holes!

All of this, especially the bit about the lockring, I had a tensile 96 that was fine till a sidehop preload with a unintentionally (sp) loose (self lossened) and subsequently stripped lockring made it sh1t it's guts all the the floor

I think the lockring people are refering to isn't the lockring that holds the freewheel itself together. The freewheel itself looks like it's pretty similar to the Try-All 108.9/RockMan 108 freewheel and just has the usual 'back of the freewheel' lockring kinda setup on the go, rather than the 'front of the freewheel' style on the older Tensile models.

• 2 weeks later...

Fag.

I want to know if it's a totally new spline or if it's been used somewhere else. It does look awfully like a middleburn spline.

Haha I was just interested.

Its obviously something most riders take into consideration hense the DB meter levels on Tartybikes Freewheel section.

It had better be reliable.

Or people will have bought new cranks for nothing. Which will then be rendered useless.

Love the idea though. If it has the reliability of the SL I'd definately look into buying the crank/freewwheel/bash setup.

Will the cranks be available in different lengths?

160mm, 165mm, 170mm ect...

Cater for everyones needs/ preferances.

thanks for clearing that up mark, I'll fess that i mis-read the photo's.

In that case hows about a circlip or similar device to stop the centre lockring coming loose?

And the option of a HD bashring?

EDIT: oo and a spline to screw on adapter similar to a zoot crank set up?

EDIT 2: Lots of ofset can't be a bad thing either...

Edited by CC12345678910