Which Rear Tyre To Purchase....?

ratrials

Getting sick of having to change my rear tube every half an hour - think its time to purchase a new one! Just wanted a bit of advice on what to get. I ride a stock and run the back at about 25psi, ideally looking to spend no more than £35, but if thats a bit unrealistic, then please let me know. Just want a tyre thats amazing against pinch flats, with a half decent tread. I did look on tarty and found this one-people's thoughts? Comments would be well appreciated. Cheers http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/26_inch_tyres/maxxis_minion_dual_ply_rear_tread/c33p632.html

First thing is what tyre are you running now? The maxxis tyres are generaly very good at stopping punctures, however if you still ride like a tank they will still pinch, it might also help to try and ride smoother, I have ran very light weight tyres before and managed to not puncture them, and I am around 19st!

Adam

I'd personally say get some TryAlls , great bounce , nice thick sidewalls and don't puncture easily B)

what this guy said... I ride like I'm angry at the floor and I only just got my first puncture in them on Sunday after 4 months of using them :)

First thing is what tyre are you running now? The maxxis tyres are generaly very good at stopping punctures, however if you still ride like a tank they will still pinch, it might also help to try and ride smoother, I have ran very light weight tyres before and managed to not puncture them, and I am around 19st!

Adam

I'd personally say get some TryAlls , great bounce , nice thick sidewalls and don't puncture easily B)

what this guy said... I ride like I'm angry at the floor and I only just got my first puncture in them on Sunday after 4 months of using them :)

I would have to agree i run a sticky on my stock and its awsom i run around 20 psi sn i have yet to get a pinch or any other puncture for that matter

Thanks very much for the comments lads. Adam, yeah i am working on getting smoother, i'm about 14 stone myself so no lightly. I'm not a heavy rider but could always be smoother, some of these flats have been ridiculous though - yesterday i hung up the tiniest bit up a set of stairs and it tore a huge hole in the tube! I think its a Maxxis tyre i've got on, but must be a single ply - only got the bike second hand a few weeks ago. Anyway cheers for the feedback, will probs go with try-all or a dual ply maxxis. Cheers!

Is the rim ground? If so, make sure the edge of the rim isn't sharp/has any bits of metal sticking out that could be puncturing the tube.

Had this problem with an old wheel that was pretty shot, got a new one and went around the rim with some sandpaper after a grind and I haven't had a puncture for almost a year now!

Is the rim ground? If so, make sure the edge of the rim isn't sharp/has any bits of metal sticking out that could be puncturing the tube.

Had this problem with an old wheel that was pretty shot, got a new one and went around the rim with some sandpaper after a grind and I haven't had a puncture for almost a year now!

Hmmmmmmm, thinking about it that could potentially be the problem......will have a look - thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

High roller ust .... unpunchable

I have high rollers and i got a puncture last time i rode. I've got punctures before but that was a while back and I've hit some objects pretty hard and they haven't punctured. I think the other day was a one off because i also came off and landed funny on my foot and sprained/strained my foot. It was a bad day :lol:

I can't offer much advice though I'm still using the same tyres that came with the bike when i first started :P

I have high rollers and i got a puncture last time i rode. I've got punctures before but that was a while back and I've hit some objects pretty hard and they haven't punctured. I think the other day was a one off because i also came off and landed funny on my foot and sprained/strained my foot. It was a bad day :lol:

I can't offer much advice though I'm still using the same tyres that came with the bike when i first started :P

The Highroller UST has thicker sidewalls than a standard dual ply.

But anyway, you're right in that if you're consitantly puncturing a dual ply maxxis you need to be smoother or need some more pressure in there.