Cleaning Rotors/pads

xTrials_Rider

Use CRC BrakCleen when its dirty. I have one in my car to use when the bike gets road dust on it. or to use when i ride on dry dirt.

If you have oil on your pads or disc, you have to cook them. I normally use a metal plate and a torch. Cook it until it doesn't smoke anymore.

You can also use a cooking plate.

Use CRC BrakCleen when its dirty. I have one in my car to use when the bike gets road dust on it. or to use when i ride on dry dirt.

If you have oil on your pads or disc, you have to cook them. I normally use a metal plate and a torch. Cook it until it doesn't smoke anymore.

You can also use a cooking plate.

thanks a lot

All about boiling discs, then chucking them in the oven for a bit.

With pads, chuck them in a bath of meths, and light the b*****d.

Just remembered I've got to do the same to both of mine before Friday, so I might even remember to do a little 'how to' for the amount of times this gets asked :)

thanks, i boiled the dics and then wiped it, i "cooked" the pads and put them on and went out to test how they work and they dont seem to bite, i pull the lever right in and the bike keeps rolling :( any advice?

Each time you change anything about the pads or rotors, you'll have to bed the brake back in. Time to find yourself a big hill and take a bottle of water with you!

Ride down hill, do a mix of sharp stops and dragging the brake. Splash water over rotor and pads while you walk back up the hill to repeat.

Then again, being able to pull the lever to the bars sounds like it needs a bleed anyway.

Each time you change anything about the pads or rotors, you'll have to bed the brake back in. Time to find yourself a big hill and take a bottle of water with you!

Ride down hill, do a mix of sharp stops and dragging the brake. Splash water over rotor and pads while you walk back up the hill to repeat.

Then again, being able to pull the lever to the bars sounds like it needs a bleed anyway.

sorry my bad i didnt mean that i pull the lever right to the bars, the brake has just been bled like 2 weeks ago so its fine, its when i pull to the limit the bike keeps rolling.

how many times will i have to do the splashing and goin down the hill process to bed the brakes in?

Make sure the pads and roter are cool before doing this as if they are hot and you put water on them it can "glaze" the pas and decrease performance.

sorry my bad i didnt mean that i pull the lever right to the bars, the brake has just been bled like 2 weeks ago so its fine, its when i pull to the limit the bike keeps rolling.

how many times will i have to do the splashing and goin down the hill process to bed the brakes in?

Depends on the length of the hill ;)

You'll know when they're getting there though, because of the changing feeling of power.

I wouldn't worry about the glazing comment either - I've always had my previous discs (albeit not on trials bike) steaming away while bedding in and never glazed them. That's the point of the mix of short sharp stops and dragging the brake.

Depends on the length of the hill ;)

You'll know when they're getting there though, because of the changing feeling of power.

I wouldn't worry about the glazing comment either - I've always had my previous discs (albeit not on trials bike) steaming away while bedding in and never glazed them. That's the point of the mix of short sharp stops and dragging the brake.

thanks (Y) , so i will go down the hill and hold the brake in and not gonna bother waiting for the pads and disc to cool and put water on them and repeat it a few times cheers

thanks (Y) , so i will go down the hill and hold the brake in and not gonna bother waiting for the pads and disc to cool and put water on them and repeat it a few times cheers

Don't just hold the brake in - I'll say it once more for 3 times, then no more :P A mixture of short, sharp stops and dragging the brake is what you want.

The bedding in process serves a couple of main purposes;

- To get everything running perfectly straight (though most of this should be done when installing the brake obviously!)

- To deposit a small amount of pad material around the rotor which helps boost braking

Short sharp burst are great but try to combine them with some more constant, progressive braking too for better results (Y)