Which Bmx Hubs Are Ok For Street-Trials?

zoster

Hey,

As the title says, i am wondering which other bmx hubs would be ok for street/trials use, except the profile that tarty sells (yes, and except CK).

There are those "female" bmx hubs, that i see some (or all?) have 10mm bolts. I'm wondering more about the ratchet system, if it;s quick enough and especially strong enough on some of these hubs....

Any "connoisseurs"? :)

Thanks

Most standard bmx hubs, ie odyssey, colony, mcneil all have relatively weak engagements and not many of them, so no they are no good. Also female axles for the majority of BMX's are still 14mm, so will not fit on a modern trials bike.

The G-Sport ratchet hub sucks, there amazingly over rated and over priced. I have owned two, with-in the first month on owning my first one (bought brand new) the drive side bearing exploded, The second one ratchet got stripped.

I would stick to CK or profile personally.

Oh and on another the profile elitist hubs are no good for trials.

• Like 1

Exactly what i thought, And then realized they are pretty weak.

The ratchet is a nail to get out admittedly but like every other bmx with 3/4 pawls the pick-up is pathetic.

And just might aswell put it out there, there easily the worst looking hub ever.

My Proper cassette with the little 9t bushing driver setup was pretty solid the whole time I had it. Didn't break the bushings or do any damage to the driver at all. Seems to be a pretty legit setup. Having said that, wouldn't really recommend it for trials at all.

The other thing to bear in mind is that almost all BMX hubs are going to be 36h, so your rim choice is going to potentially be a bit limited depending on which style of rim you're going for. I mean, if you buy anything other than a Spank rim you're doing it wrong, but still...

thanks fot the answers! i realized that unless i get a 12t driver, i'll have to use 14 cog on the cranks or something, which would probably make the whole drivetrain look retarded. Too bad there aren't many optins in 110/116mm freehubs, or fewer toothed freewheels...

Odyssey do a 13t freewheel but they are a bag of shite. To be honest, you generally don't want to go too small for trials anyway. I've seen 9t ti drivers missing multiple teeth and that's on a BMX. Depends on your style of riding though. Don't suppose I'd have too much trouble with a BMX race hub other than the slow engagement but I don't do much TGS type stuff.

Edited by Chris Borneo

use trials gear on your trials bike... since our requirements from drive train performance are so demanding and unique your really best sticking with whats available..

yea, but there's nothing wrong looking at differtent options, after all, i'm using street tires, street handlebars etc